IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi for Lighting sprints
12/14/12, 3:08 PM   #1
POWRi for Lighting sprints
SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS

Does anyone think that we need a group like POWRi to run the Lighting sprints in Ohio, and Indiana? I bet they would put on a great show and bring better pay to the table. How about some big shows wing and non wing for Lighting sprints in 2013.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: Jim Gardner
12/14/12, 3:52 PM   #2
Re: POWRi for Lighting sprints
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS View Post
Does anyone think that we need a group like POWRi to run the Lighting sprints in Ohio, and Indiana? I bet they would put on a great show and bring better pay to the table. How about some big shows wing and non wing for Lighting sprints in 2013.

Posted via Mobile Device
Bill May with the MMSA seems to be doing a very good job with the Lightning Sprints/Midgets....running wing and non wing... as far as big shows...look for an announcement for the 2013 Florida Non Wing Nationals with Lightning Sprints/Midgets....COMING SOON...early next week...Southern States Midget Series

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

2 members like this post: DAD, Jim Gardner
12/14/12, 5:21 PM   #3
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKER RACING PRODUCTS View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Step # 1 Go out and find a big name sponsor to back you up.

Step # 2 hire Bill May at a 6 figure salary to set up and run your race dates.

Step # 3 Do not use the term "MINI" or "LIGHTNING" to describe your race cars.

Step #4 "KISS".

Step # 5 go back and repeat Step # 1.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/14/12 at 5:24 PM.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
12/14/12, 5:45 PM   #4
Bill May

Dad, I really like step #2 and Maybe, soon we will be
"Midwest Div. 2 Midgets"
If step #1 is successful, call it whatever you want. USUC,
POWERu, you get the idea.

Bill May

3 members like this post: DAD, scooter99, Wayne Davis
12/14/12, 8:05 PM   #5
Copperhead

Any way you cut it, it's a great class of cars to run. I'm glad we made the move. Keep it up, everybody!

12/14/12, 8:43 PM   #6
Quantrill

I would just like to see poweri put in a 1000cc winged class at 4-6 events. I get tired of seeing all the 600cc big races and few 1000cc races on the same scale.

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/15/12, 10:58 AM   #7
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
I would just like to see poweri put in a 1000cc winged class at 4-6 events. I get tired of seeing all the 600cc big races and few 1000cc races on the same scale.

It might be a good idea to get in touch with Ken Brown at POWERi and talk to him about a couple of races out west. He has run us "AMSA" several times at Duquoin and I think we put on a pretty good show for him.

If anybody could help the 1000cc midgets up Ken would be the guy to do it. It wouldn't take long before the sidwinder drivers would want an upright instead of those squirrely overpowered go karts (just my opinion), and it would be a whole lot cheaper for the racers. We really don't need million dollar motors to be fast.

You Know there is a guy outside Indy that has a bunch of overpowered Kenyon cars and he calls them "METRIC MIDGETS". that pretty well hits the nail on the head as far as what we are racing and also like that one guy once said about "LIGHTNING" takes us into the "21st century". Now If I could only learn how to read a metric "mike".

A bit of trivia 1000cc's is equal to 61 cubic inches. The USAC limit for DOHC race motors is 122 cubic inches, SOO if we could make a dual engine midget at todays stock horsepower ratings for motors we would have a 450 horse power midget with stock motors. That v8 that scared them to death out at Tulsa was "OLD SCHOOL" motorcycle technology.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/15/12 at 11:22 AM.

12/15/12, 3:22 PM   #8
Jim Gardner

I'm a fan of the term "Lightning Sprint" over any other name. For me, anybody outside of racing (and some within it) have no idea what a midget is. I was in college talking to a buddy and telling him that I was staying in to watch the Chili Bowl on pay-per-view. He asked what it was- to which I replied "oen of the biggest midget races of the year." and I received a blank, confused stare. If you're goal is to attract sponsors and new car owners why use a name that will typically be misinterpreted by the casual fan/general public? They are sprint-style cars, they run sprint-style races, they are sprint cars. Lightning is a nice adjective to separate them from their big sisters. It implies that they are quick and fast- which they are. Just my thought on this name controversy. Sorry to get off topic.

Do we need a new organization to poach cars from already successful groups? I don't think at this point. In the area the AMSA, MMSA, Waynesfield, and 35 are all doing relatively well or growing. I hope be race with all of them next year. What we need is uniform rules across the board so guys can race where they want to. Then maybe you can classify them all under one group like the UMP or NASCAR home tracks do. This would help an infrastructure of the class across the country because you get get some big national races where everybody knows what the rules are and are familiar with them.

Ken Brown did have a few races in the winter at Duquoin and it was a blast but we didn't get many cars. The micros have a huge following in northern Indiana and Illinois and they had 60 cars to our 20-24. Right now all of the cars that would run Duquoin from Ohio to Illinois follow different motor, weight, and tire rules.

12/17/12, 11:21 AM   #9
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gardner View Post
I'm a fan of the term "Lightning Sprint" over any other name. For me, anybody outside of racing (and some within it) have no idea what a midget is. I was in college talking to a buddy and telling him that I was staying in to watch the Chili Bowl on pay-per-view. He asked what it was- to which I replied "oen of the biggest midget races of the year." and I received a blank, confused stare. If you're goal is to attract sponsors and new car owners why use a name that will typically be misinterpreted by the casual fan/general public? They are sprint-style cars, they run sprint-style races, they are sprint cars. Lightning is a nice adjective to separate them from their big sisters. It implies that they are quick and fast- which they are. Just my thought on this name controversy. Sorry to get off topic.

Do we need a new organization to poach cars from already successful groups? I don't think at this point. In the area the AMSA, MMSA, Waynesfield, and 35 are all doing relatively well or growing. I hope be race with all of them next year. What we need is uniform rules across the board so guys can race where they want to. Then maybe you can classify them all under one group like the UMP or NASCAR home tracks do. This would help an infrastructure of the class across the country because you get get some big national races where everybody knows what the rules are and are familiar with them.

Ken Brown did have a few races in the winter at Duquoin and it was a blast but we didn't get many cars. The micros have a huge following in northern Indiana and Illinois and they had 60 cars to our 20-24. Right now all of the cars that would run Duquoin from Ohio to Illinois follow different motor, weight, and tire rules.

Jim

I grew up with "Midget fixation disorder". Midgets just really turned me on, and probably many people my age have the same disease. If I could only get them to change a few rules I'd be racing one.

What I have noticed about the un-informed people out there is they don't know a midget from a sprint or a mini from a lightning and changing the name ain't going to help.

Years ago when I spent money on advertising, My TV commercials would always end with my motto "NO Muff Too Tuff" . Well some old lady would call ever few weeks to complain about the profanity used in my motto. I didn't know what she was talking about and she would not elaborate on her point. This went on for about a year or so and "Ma Bell" came up with caller ID. I was the first on the list to get it so I could ID my competitors calling for quotes. Sure enough in a few week she called, I reverse checked her address and I sent her a triple X large T shirt-nighty with our unadvertised motto on it "NO Pipe Too Tight" and a note asking her if she liked this motto better, it must have pleased her because she never called back.

We are not only selling this form of racing but we are selling a name that we want the public to identify us with and "LIGHTNING" has just never turned me on. My question is what is a "LIGHTNING". In fact even when I want to say "1000cc Midget" I usually end up saying "MINI SPRINT" then I bite my tongue old habits die hard.

Maybe it's time for an IOW survey and see what the fans and racers think? Or better yet hire one of them advertising agencies to do research and study groups and come up with a suitable name that would work to our advantage.

Honest Dad himself

PS I'm going to "all domains" to buy a few domain names.
Last edited by DAD; 12/17/12 at 11:45 AM.

12/18/12, 5:04 PM   #10
D.L. 122

We dont need 1 major money group but we do need a special race something that stands out for minis kinda like sprints have no way out 40 and late models have jackson 100. Maybe at brownstown or twin cities but make it special maybe 3 wide start with 30 car feild get some sponsors maybe 1 to 3k race. I know sounds ridiculous but it could happen with enough support.

1 member likes this post: DAD
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi for Lighting sprints