IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Clydesdale (Offline)
  #21 8/16/15 1:47 AM
We had a good time. They did a lot of cool things for the fans. Lots of passing with cars from the back moving up through the field. Was good to see Clauson have a good run. He'll have a WoO win under his belt before too long. Johnny Gibson made a comment about Bacon being the USAC champ for 2014 so that was cool to hear. It's always nice to see nonwing guys in the nationals; Tyler Courtney, Brady bacon, hunter schuerenburg, Kevin Thomas.
4 Likes: dkdorkboy, fish, i love dirt track racing, mc/rider
openwheelfan1 (Offline)
  #22 8/16/15 2:10 PM
Clauson looked good all week at Knoxville. He got up to 8th at one point last night before fading late. I don't know if his tires sealed over or they missed the setup for the latter stages, but he got visibly slower, either that or everyone else got faster. Either way, he had a good week and you could watch his confidence grow race by race. Pretty cool!
4 Likes: fish, i love dirt track racing, illinifan, Nate
oppweld (Offline)
  #23 8/16/15 5:36 PM
Originally Posted by curbservice:
You Sir should really open your mind because you have no idea what you are missing. There is no race or event, and make no mistake Knoxville is more than a race it is most definitely an event. The whole entire town embraces this race people open their homes for race fans and drivers to stay in. Going to Knoxville is truly an experience, and by the way I've been three times and can't remember the dust being bad at all.
WOW four whole times! Let's see my first national was 72, 1st winged nationals was 73 saw Dick Gaines beat Opperman in the last turn in 74 I experienced the poker games in the barns in the 70's. Wet T- shirt contests @ Dingus in the 80's and been to about 90 races there since so I think I can safely say I am familiar with the event. Except for the dust, I stand by my previous statement. Why go to a race with little passing and basically a predetermined winner sans mechanical failure. So now I invite you to come to smack down in Kokomo in two weeks and open your mind to slide jobs an wheelies. Then tell me which is better.
4 Likes: captrat, Charles Nungester, i love dirt track racing, Indy1808
CTtoPA (Offline)
  #24 8/16/15 5:42 PM
A gear change in a sprint car race? That's a joke. I saw Donny's first one in 2006. Haven't missed much since.
4 Likes: captrat, Charles Nungester, fish, itsanonwingthing
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #25 8/16/15 6:06 PM
Originally Posted by Clydesdale:
We're up here too.. Great atmosphere, great weather, and don't have to worry about a car count tonight! lol
Just enjoy where ever you're at. If it was that great, you wouldn't be sitting up there taking shots at us, back here enjoying the local scene in Indiana. I'm getting where I don't even like you anymore.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
curbservice (Offline)
  #26 8/16/15 6:28 PM
I've been to plenty of non wing races, was going to Kokomo long before they changed it, same with the burg, I prefer the the old versions in both cases. I would have loved to been at Knoxville for those days. The closest thing around here to that atmosphere is the Kings Royal and its a far cry form Knoxville. I'm not trying to get into pissing match on here but we need a marquee event that draws large numbers of cars from out of state, that involves the local community, that they can get behind and support. There's a reason we keep loosing drivers to winged cars, more money and more races.
2 Likes: i love dirt track racing, oppweld
Clydesdale (Offline)
  #27 8/16/15 6:38 PM
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw:
Just enjoy where ever you're at. If it was that great, you wouldn't be sitting up there taking shots at us, back here enjoying the local scene in Indiana. I'm getting where I don't even like you anymore.

Jerry
I was just joking around, at the time I didn't even know of the car counts. I said that because the lineups were already made and you know exactly who was going to be there.
oppweld (Offline)
  #28 8/16/15 6:45 PM
Smack down is a step in the right direction but it needs more fan support and more cars to grow into a huge happening. Until a new organization steps up to challenge USAC I don't see any major changes on the horizon.
dsc1600 (Offline)
  #29 8/16/15 7:18 PM
Yes that 21st to 1st run in 2013 was boring. Ha!
Nate (Offline)
  #30 8/16/15 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by oppweld:
WOW four whole times! Let's see my first national was 72, 1st winged nationals was 73 saw Dick Gaines beat Opperman in the last turn in 74 I experienced the poker games in the barns in the 70's. Wet T- shirt contests @ Dingus in the 80's and been to about 90 races there since so I think I can safely say I am familiar with the event. Except for the dust, I stand by my previous statement. Why go to a race with little passing and basically a predetermined winner sans mechanical failure. So now I invite you to come to smack down in Kokomo in two weeks and open your mind to slide jobs an wheelies. Then tell me which is better.
I've been to every Smackdown, but you're comparing apples and oranges. Knoxville is not Kokomo, winged sprints are not nonwing sprints. There was plenty of passing going on and seen some great races there, 13 was wild when Schatz came from the back, last year's battle between him and Brown over the last 10 laps was wild.

I actually like nonwing better. But don't take shots at people because they're at one place and you're at another. Just enjoy the fact you're at a race at all with the way the weather has been this year.
2 Likes: fish, racedave