IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #1 10/31/16 3:45 PM
Fairbury American Legion Speedway - Fairbury, IL

Seen a few pictures on twitter a week ago via track announcers Mike Norris of them getting the cement in place for the new fence. Just learned today the O'Conner family is helping spearhead the project with the FALS track staff getting it up. The new fence is supposedly 12' feet high with a 2' foot over hang plus 1" cable wire. I would love to see a non-wing show at this track. To me it's Illinois version of Kokomo with just a bit tighter corners.

After this past years POWRi National Midget event (video of race is on YouTube). This could be a real treat for race fans.

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
6 Likes: ISF, jay mcquinn, oppweld, PIT CART, Steve Wendel, WinglessLovers
ISF (Offline)
  #2 10/31/16 8:29 PM
I was at the POWRi event at Fairbury last Summer and it was a very, very good show to say the least. Keep in mind Fairbury is smack in the heart of hard core dirt late model country and the regular Fairbury fans are extremely partisan towards dirt late models. Nearly all of them (accept the ones so partisan they refused to admit it) walked out highly impressed with the quality and excitement of the POWRi A-main and expressed the hope that they return along with a sprint event, as well.

I wouldn't quite put Fairbury in a class with Kokomo but it's probably the best all around dirt track in Illinois.

After the overwhelming success of the POWRi show I firmly believe a 410 non wing show would be highly anticipated and very well attended.

I hope Fairbury works something out and we see a regular inclusion of open wheel events from now on.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
5 Likes: nathans1012, oppweld, Steve Wendel, Task Force, WinglessLovers
SpfldMile (Offline)
  #3 10/31/16 9:45 PM
I was there for the Powri show as well, and it was fantastic. The surface stayed really racy, high and low, all night. Even if sprints don't get put on the schedule, I hope the midgets come back, maybe a couple times next year.

For those about to rock, we salute you.
4 Likes: ISF, nathans1012, Steve Wendel, WinglessLovers