IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts on the Smackdown
8/28/13, 11:48 AM   #1
Thoughts on the Smackdown
Jerry Spencer

What can you say that has not been said already?

Spencer Racing feels like we let a lot of people down this past weekend by not running up to our capability, Josh has been in the shop all week changing and then changing again to try and figure this thing out.
A huge thank you goes out to all the people that gave us ideas on what direction we should go, everyone from car owners to crew cheifs to past racers where in our corner and believe we can make a turn around. We just keep thinking of how low Jon S. and Casey S. and a list of other great drivers were at one time and with time and a lot of effort rose above the lows to enjoy some of the highest highs. We will get turned around. THANK YOU

The staff at the Kokomo Speedway again what can you say three days of all out war right in our back yard. The O'Connors made one of the biggest gambles pay off for a lot of people. Great race track all three nights, Saftey was not an issue, keeping people busy with the new bar and the concert that followed the races and providing everyone that walked thru the gate something to talk about for a long time.

The fans, where can you go run crappy and still sell a ton of tee shirts, talk all day and have a little boy give your driver a hug and tell him that he loves him and that he did ok.
Sprint cars fans are the best around and have proved that time after time, they understand what we go thru and support you no matter what kind of day your having. To all the people that took the time to stop in at the HalfMoon then take the time to tell our team and then Chris how good everything was you are the best. To the people that payed our way in then slipped us money for fuel or a tire. Everybody at Spencer Racing says THANK YOU.

The sponsors that gave so much so that everyone good or bad got something and the people that busted there butts getting the awards to help make this special.
Spencer Racing THANKS YOU.

The City of Kokomo deserves a huge thank you, all we heard was how nice downtown looked and how nice the people of Kokomo treated the visiting race fans. Again THANK YOU

Our sponsors, you have never left our side and in most cases went out of your way to help us and the fans of Spencer Racing. THANK YOU

This was a tough week for me with my knee, everybody that pitched in to help do what I could not do, THANK YOU

The worst possible thing that could have happened happened when we learned of the passing of our good friend Randy Mortland, Randy was a sponsor and one of the people we called our friend for a long time. We will think about and pray for you and your family. Thank you for the memories, R.I.P. my friend.

Dave Darland, a true friend and a huge help to Josh for as long as I can remember. Josh and I where talking about what it takes to be a champion and we figured you can have the best of everything and still not be a champion, Dave has the maturity that it takes to walk thru the pits with his head up and the ability to handle anything that comes his way. Dave has the respect of everyone around him. You my friend are a champion and always will be as far as we are concernd. THANK YOU for letting us be a part of the ride. You parents are proud as you already know.

This is long so I will shut it down but again THANK YOU to all of the people that have made this deal possible.

Jerry,Sarah,Shannon,Josh and car owner Sonny Spencer #66j

8/28/13, 12:18 PM   #2
TommyBahama

I've not had the chance to meet you or Josh yet, but I've admired the way you represent yourselves and your sponsors.

One of these days I will stop and say hello, but keep on living the dream!

Posted via Mobile Device

8/28/13, 12:28 PM   #3
Re: Thoughts on the Smackdown
scottyCbus

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 18

Just great people all around last weekend from track owners, race team owners, drivers, fans. Love that track love everything about that track and town for that matter. Jerry I'm sure you and Josh will get it figured out! Thanks for doing what you do and being who you are! Thanks to the O'Conners and everyone of the great people who work at that track. Thanks to all the race teams and drivers for putting on a awesome show! I have been to both Smackdowns and there is just nothing better than 3 days of awesome racing. Great Job to all! Great Job raising money for Kids Cancer! Can't wait for next year it will be here before you know it!!

4 members like this post: Indy1808, Jerry Spencer, racegal, racing2bwithu2
8/28/13, 2:51 PM   #4
ShamrockRacin'48G

Hang in there Jerry and Josh, and don't minimize what you have already been able to acccomplish. Just getting on the track is a win...Heck sometimes just getting TO the track is a win...Racing is brutal, with the highest highs and the lowest lows, hang in there man you guys are an inspiration for many of us!!

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: Indy1808, Jerry Spencer, scottyCbus
8/28/13, 9:26 PM   #5
Tim Watson

For a traveler like me these events are so cool cause it's nice to stay put at one track for three days without waking up in the van in the morning and worry about getting to the next track. The cool thing about the Spencer's is that i haven't seen them since Smackdown last year and when i went in the pits Friday Josh, Jerry and Sarah all said hi to me and called me by name! Pretty impressive to notice me and remember my name after a whole year.

1 member likes this post: Jerry Spencer
8/28/13, 9:32 PM   #6
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watson View Post
For a traveler like me these events are so cool cause it's nice to stay put at one track for three days without waking up in the van in the morning and worry about getting to the next track. The cool thing about the Spencer's is that i haven't seen them since Smackdown last year and when i went in the pits Friday Josh, Jerry and Sarah all said hi to me and called me by name! Pretty impressive to notice me and remember my name after a whole year.
No one can forget you Tim, no matter how hard we try.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

4 members like this post: dirt330, Jerry Spencer, mowerman, Tim Watson
8/28/13, 9:39 PM   #7
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
No one can forget you Tim, no matter how hard we try.
Is that good or bad.

1 member likes this post: Jerry Spencer
8/28/13, 9:47 PM   #8
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:

Is that good or bad.
Hard telling. That question right there keeps me awake at night!

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

2 members like this post: Jerry Spencer, Tim Watson
8/29/13, 10:10 AM   #9
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
I don't think we were very good company this year but it was good to see you again.

Jerry #66j
stida.com/Halfmoon/Colescotts Mobil-1

8/29/13, 11:57 AM   #10
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

Jerry, if you could, keep your posts to 50 words or less. No, seriously, it's always great to read an inspired post on here, and i'm not surprised it comes from the Spencer's. A great racing family who will do anything for another racer, even give the shirt off their backs...well, not off their backs...but they did give me a great shirt, which i wear proudly. It WILL turn around, you now have a great sponsor, who not only gives his hard earned money to a sprint car team, but now knows that he is reaping the rewards for doing so. And as far as your fans, just looking thru the crowd at Kokomo, it's usually a wall of #66J t-shirts, as easily found there as a Kinser shirt is at Bloomington. Keep the faith, good things come to good people, good luck this weekend, bob.

3 members like this post: BrandonT30, Jerry Spencer, weirracing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts on the Smackdown