IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT-Tin Tops on CBS-Your Thoughts?
6/20/11, 9:58 PM   #11
Re: OT-Tin Tops on CBS-Your Thoughts?
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

There was one major flaw

No Gus Johnson

6/20/11, 9:59 PM   #12
Dave Argabright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rudisell View Post
The best part is seeing Dave Argabright!! (sp)
No way, Dave...you didn't even notice I was there, you were far more fascinated with the Rockstar girls in Victory Lane! :2:

6/20/11, 10:04 PM   #13
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I was really surprised that ABC didn't broadcast the Milwaukee race in high definition. They broadcast the 500 in high def and there certainly is a world of difference. VERSUS broadcasts in high def and theirs seems to be superior to some others.
I didn't really notice the late models being shown or I would have watched.

6/20/11, 10:08 PM   #14
Dave Rudisell
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Argabright View Post
No way, Dave...you didn't even notice I was there, you were far more fascinated with the Rockstar girls in Victory Lane! :2:
Your are right Dave, Busted me, i did notice you on the TV broadcast though!!:2:

6/20/11, 10:30 PM   #15
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenwheelRob View Post
Is it really just because there is more room on the car to advertise? Is it that Mr. Lucas just favors that brand of racing more so he invests more money with them to get them exposure? Is the Lucas Oil Series any more 'professional' than USAC? It's just puzzling as to why I see more late model action televised vs. sprints. I've seen quite a few LM races on the tube and I believe a few WOO wing shows, but non-wing's...rarely. Seems to me all I hear about non-wings on TV was 'back in the day'. I know one thing my family discussed was the fact that they said in the broadcast most of their drivers have been running for almost 20 year's and they appear to have more older drivers vs. young
I'm half serious on the "more room on the car". Doesn't Morgan Lucas race Top Fuel, and according to my logic he should be running Funny Car.

But you bring up a good point. A few years ago all of TSR's USAC teams had near identical car numbers and paint schemes when they ran two cars in each USAC division. To me thats a rarity in traditional open wheel. If you look at many of the LM racers who have just moved up from mods (Mike Spatola, Kent Robinson) they keep near identical paint schemes with the same number. I notice on here we need driver roster lists to keep up with what car any open wheel racer is in. To me thats not building brand loyalty. Sure my last sentence may sound dumb, but I would expect most of you who are on this board know what number and nickname Scott Bloomquist, Donnie Moran, Billy Moyer, Rick Eckert, Josh Richards or Jimmy Owens have.

Sure we (on this board) all know who the Deputy, the Madman, Modern Day Cowboy, Jerry Cooooooons Jr are. But Rick Eshelmann sp? (World of Outlaws late model announcer) has a name for every driver out there. I would love to see USAC on tv. I'm not placing an emphasis on catchy nicknames over quality racing. DLM do have several "crown jewels", which have quite a history and following all over the country.

I know an announcer isn't going to carry a whole series. I clam up and stammer whenever I get interviewed at my hometrack in front of a couple hundred farmers so I know I couldn't do a better job.

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
6/20/11, 10:44 PM   #16
OpenwheelRob

While watching we debated the differences, familiarity was one thing like you mention. Then the whole it's a car vs. a dune buggy thing and people can identify with it. On one hand I like that there seems to be consistency with the same driver in the same car (which they mentioned on the broadcast $75,000 per car) which would build a 'Brand' but I also like the opportunities open wheels seem to have with drivers switching more often.

6/21/11, 12:46 AM   #17
Sprint63122

Was watching the late models on one set and the IRL on the other set side by side since the trip to the preferred race at Haubstadt was rained out.Nice to see Dave Argabright reporting on tv always does a standout job and they also had Rob Klepper doing the announcing also.Always great to see some dirt racing with tv coverage,looks like a great facility and also the drag strip lake they had built for boat racing right next to it hopefully one day they will make it to tv to.

6/21/11, 6:00 AM   #18
cmakin

I thought that it was a great broadcast and of a style that would work for open wheel racing. I prefer that kind of show to the "reality" type show like Dirt Knights.

On a side note, it was great to see local Houston area driver Chris Brown with a good run. He is a friend and a great competitor.

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
6/21/11, 9:10 AM   #19
48modracer

Lucas Oil has their own production company. They do several different types of racing that is sponsored by Lucas oil. They are kind of like a throwback to the old Diamond P Motorsports on TNN. With the Lucas association with POWRI, they are taping a few more midget races this year to show on SPEED.

6/21/11, 11:41 AM   #20
jim goerge

I remember reading in the old Open Wheel that the guy who owned the nashville network David Hall I think his name was loved the outlaw sprints and made a deal with Ted Johnson about putting them on TV Was thinking he got a small percentage ownership of the outlaws. It turned out to be short lived cuz Hall then sold the channel to MTV and thats when we wind up with Spike TV and they did away with all the good stuff (racing Bull Rideing etc) and give us like a Pam Anderson cartoon lol like thats kool . But I watched the tin tops and thought it was a pretty good race . Thinking next time I go to races and there are late models I will stay in the stands and watch instead of going out to the car for a beer .

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT-Tin Tops on CBS-Your Thoughts?