IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #1 8/3/20 8:21 PM
Slightly off topic but open wheel and hope that the fairgrounds mile isn't dead yet.

https://www.americanflattrack.com/ne...I4x0tq1XUW84YM

Charles Nungester
15 Likes: Blackduce, chrismattlin, davidm, duel, erich45, flagboy55, i love dirt track racing, JarrettFarms73, jdull99, jim goerge, jonboat15, Ken Bonnema, mc/rider, nathans1012, treecitytornado
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #2 8/3/20 10:26 PM
Wow, pretty damn cool,Chuck!! Hope it's a good sign to bring back Champ Dirt Car Racing in 2021!
5 Likes: Blackduce, flagboy55, jdull99, jonboat15, luckybuc97
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #3 8/4/20 9:41 AM
Does anyone know if American Flat Track is the upper echelon of motorcycle racing? I’m only a casual fan but I remember names like Kenny Roberts, Jay Springsteen, Chris Carr as running the top class of flat tracking but I thought that was AMA? Maybe someone could help me out on this? Always wanted to see the bikes on the mile and considering that the miles are going away, might be a good time to knock it off the bucket list
jonboat15 (Offline)
  #4 8/4/20 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by flagboy55:
Does anyone know if American Flat Track is the upper echelon of motorcycle racing? I’m only a casual fan but I remember names like Kenny Roberts, Jay Springsteen, Chris Carr as running the top class of flat tracking but I thought that was AMA? Maybe someone could help me out on this? Always wanted to see the bikes on the mile and considering that the miles are going away, might be a good time to knock it off the bucket list
Boy do those old names ring a bell. Yep AFT is the premier group of flat trackers. Lots of exciting young riders out there. I've seen a lot of flat track motorcycle racing, its really the only thing that can compete against traditional sprinters as far as excitement goes, IMO. You've heard of banging wheels, well these guys bang handlebars and wheels.
I've only been to half miles and shorter tracks to see the bikes I'd like to go to one of the mile shows someday. Do yourself a favor and go to a mile bike race if you can!
4 Likes: Blackduce, flagboy55, interpreter66, Larry Welch
davidm (Offline)
  #5 8/4/20 12:13 PM
Chris Carr has been doing TV commentary on NBCSN for the AFT races. Races I've seen this year have been really good!
3 Likes: Blackduce, Charles Nungester, flagboy55
racenut69 (Offline)
  #6 8/4/20 6:26 PM
Flat track bikes at Springfield and DuQuion,Il are well worth the money!...JMO!

There is always room for one more in the corner! I'm disguised as a responsible adult!...
Michael Carter....
5 Likes: Blackduce, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, illinifan, luckybuc97
Bubzilla (Offline)
  #7 8/6/20 9:34 AM
Originally Posted by jonboat15:
Boy do those old names ring a bell. Yep AFT is the premier group of flat trackers. Lots of exciting young riders out there. I've seen a lot of flat track motorcycle racing, its really the only thing that can compete against traditional sprinters as far as excitement goes, IMO. You've heard of banging wheels, well these guys bang handlebars and wheels.
I've only been to half miles and shorter tracks to see the bikes I'd like to go to one of the mile shows someday. Do yourself a favor and go to a mile bike race if you can!

The comment about the sprinters is the truth.

At the old half mile paper clip style Ascot track in Gardena the one lap track record was held be flat trackers. They were about a half a second faster than a sprint car. And unbelievable to watch there.

Joe Mc.
Bubzilla (Offline)
  #8 8/6/20 9:36 AM
And NBCSN channel shows the flat track races about a month or 2 after they are run.

Joe Mc.
gtownplowboy (Offline)
  #9 8/6/20 5:32 PM
Yes, this is the top rung of flat track. Indian, Harley all have factory teams, as well as other brands mixed in. Heard the horse people deal there fell thru, second hand info... We could very well see the cars back next year..
2 Likes: chrismattlin, duel