IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprints on Asphalt
2/17/15, 11:04 PM   #11
Re: Lightning Sprints on Asphalt
Avon Open Wheel fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gardner View Post
The only thing we should be able have change is the rf hub and shocks and springs. No RF brakes. Two words: Anderson Speedway.
Wing Lightning Sprints at Anderson Speedway would be fast.

www.illinimidgets.com

1 member likes this post: 7xCoop
2/18/15, 3:31 AM   #12
sday27

This would be great to put together jut need tracks to help promote. Anderson would be great track and would be fast. What about shady bowl?

2/18/15, 4:07 AM   #13
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sday27 View Post
This would be great to put together jut need tracks to help promote. Anderson would be great track and would be fast. What about shady bowl?
There were talks of around Shadybowl about having lightning sprints put on an exhibition race, but never heard anything else about. I want to say it was supposed to be September 6th last year

2/18/15, 4:30 AM   #14
sday27

Baer field is making a comeback I heard maybe that's another venue that could be looked at? If shady bowl wants a exhibition then I hope they advertise it alittle more to reach the guys that are strongly interested in run on pavement.

2/18/15, 6:43 AM   #15
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
I strongly suggest 2 front brakes and rotors and no alum rotors
I understand 2 front brakes work better on asphalt and that's a good point about aluminum; I was just thinking from a cost standpoint for something that would be used maybe twice a year, possibly even once or twice, and then shelved.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2/18/15, 8:23 AM   #16
Unlucky#9

Now granted this is coming from go karting, but I figure the same principles apply. In going from dirt to pavement, a brake upgrade is not really an option, it's a requirement. The brake setup you run on dirt will be no where near sufficient to stop you effectively on pavement. I tried to take a brake set up perfectly sufficient for a dirt race (the MPD mini lite rotor and caliper setup) and run it in a street race. Needless to say, I was not able to keep up with the rest of the field in any way shape or form, they could drive far deeper into the corner before braking. Then when I tried to follow suit, I ended up plowing into the barriers because my brakes just couldn't stop me. When racing on dirt, you tend to skimp a little on brake performance because you're limited on traction at the rear and LF tires, so a lighter brake setup isn't an issue because it will be able to slide the tires on dirt, however pavement has a lot higher friction co-efficient and the same brakes that were able to lock up the tires on dirt will be just sliding near uselessly at a pavement race. Then it not only becomes a performance issue, but a safety one as well.

2 members like this post: sday27, sprintracer82
2/18/15, 10:20 AM   #17
snoopy

Rules and enforcement.they tried the 600 sidewinders a few years ago. A couple special built cars can kill the series

2 members like this post: DAD, midget39
2/18/15, 1:13 PM   #18
cmiracingvids

Not interested in running on pavement. Just my opinion...but you asked.

2/18/15, 1:25 PM   #19
TFortune39

Wing or non wing?

2/18/15, 5:05 PM   #20
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFortune39 View Post
Wing or non wing?
If something comes of this, I sure hope it's non wing.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprints on Asphalt