IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > king of the tqs meeting
11/23/14, 6:42 PM   #51
TQ29m

I think all of us old timers can relate to the 811cc Honda, I built one as a spare, just because it was cheaper, had to use it one night, and it was a darned good engine, good torque and not afraid of turning up the R's with it either, plenty of motor, 900 rod's, and a D grind KH cam. Bob

1 member likes this post: tqracer78
11/23/14, 6:45 PM   #52
speidel21

There is no comparison with gsxr750 and Hondas, in the 2010 Florida winternationals we were the only Honda and got pulled 3-4 car lengths on straightaways. The only way we won was from corner speed,way underpowered. Also there's a Honda engine in classifieds right now for $1700 complete & ready to bolt in, same engine we won over 40 races with the past four years. Your always ahead when your competition thinks its all motor instead of the complete package.

2 members like this post: jjones752, TQ29m
11/23/14, 7:02 PM   #53
Re: king of the tqs meeting
sday27

Quote:
Originally Posted by speidel21 View Post
There is no comparison with gsxr750 and Hondas, in the 2010 Florida winternationals we were the only Honda and got pulled 3-4 car lengths on straightaways. The only way we won was from corner speed,way underpowered. Also there's a Honda engine in classifieds right now for $1700 complete & ready to bolt in, same engine we won over 40 races with the past four years. Your always ahead when your competition thinks its all motor instead of the complete package.
that maybe true, i just don't want to deal with that old motor ,

11/23/14, 7:56 PM   #54
TQ29m

Truth is, the older Gsxr 750, which most are limited to, aren't that much less expensive, or that much more dependable than the Honda, and if you are smart enough to be able to read the rules, and understand the way they were written was actually to protect the Honda, you can take out one line, and it's open season, so if you don't understand what you're saying, be very careful what you wish for, and that isn't a threat, it is a promise!! Bob

11/23/14, 8:28 PM   #55
sday27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tq29m View Post
truth is, the older gsxr 750, which most are limited to, aren't that much less expensive, or that much more dependable than the honda, and if you are smart enough to be able to read the rules, and understand the way they were written was actually to protect the honda, you can take out one line, and it's open season, so if you don't understand what you're saying, be very careful what you wish for, and that isn't a threat, it is a promise!! Bob
what ever dude , have you ever heard of usac midgets.

I dont have to spend money building a car, there are other racing series
around,

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/23/14, 8:34 PM   #56
TQ29m

How right you are, what ever blows your bubble, Bubba! Bob

11/23/14, 8:42 PM   #57
badcoupe

As per tq rules the car must be crank driven no trans can be used, still not a big deal to have acro make a adapter that bolts to the stator cover and the drive gear to run their drive. Thats what I had them do on my suzuki, wasn't expensive either. Like I said it bolts in exactly where the honda does. Also, MTQRL doesn't have anything in their rules about a 2 stroke! I seriously thought the motor outta my storm at 155 hp and no trans to worry about would've been nasty in a tq!

11/23/14, 9:37 PM   #58
TQ29m

Mike, I also make the motor adapter you are referring to, for about any engine, as do others, I also mfg a u-joint carrier that uses full midget/ sprint size joints and driveshafts, as do others, that's just part of it, the part of the rule I am talking about is the part that says the drive line will be a direct connection between the end of the crank, and the lower change gear in the rear end , in other words, no reduction between the two. That is the protection for the Honda. But, there are other r and p, and chg gears available that aren't common knowledge that can get you low enough. Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 11/23/14 at 9:39 PM.

11/23/14, 11:03 PM   #59
badcoupe

I happen to have a one off R&P in my winters, it's a bit more than the 5.38 thats commonly available.

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/23/14, 11:17 PM   #60
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sday27 View Post
what ever dude , have you ever heard of usac midgets.

I dont have to spend money building a car, there are other racing series
around,
Sday

You don't even want to think USAC unless you want to make a small fortune racing. They tend to make rules that rule out inexpensive motors. That small fortune will get you racing for the fifth spot. Positions One through four are not for sale at any price right now.

You might want to look into 1000cc Midgets aka Mini-Lightning-Sprints. They have performance superior to the TQ's actually just slightly below that of your average Midget on smaller tracks. New motors run between $3000.00 to $4000.00 apiece on EBAY and they get better every couple of years. It is much cheaper to buy a new motor than it is to rebuild your old one.

Right now We have a few do gooders that want to outlaw new motors (Hopefully they will be voted down).

Our big advantage over other classes is >>>Motors are inexpensive>>>You don't have to put $15000.00 in them to make them perform>>>and the most important thing>>>THEY GET BETTER EVERY TIME YOU BUY A NEW ONE!!!!

We use a standard Midget frame and running gear, sets up just like a midget but we do have that darned old chain. Not all that bad because we get about 15% more power to the rear wheels by not using that power robbing ring and pinion.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/23/14 at 11:19 PM.

1 member likes this post: bn kleen
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > king of the tqs meeting