IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Nascar ?
3/16/16, 11:23 AM   #1
Nascar ?
TQ29m

I know, it isn't politically correct, to even bring it up on here, but it's close to getting started running dirt time, so maybe it'll serve to make the time come quicker!
Am I the only one to notice that "then there were 39"? The trucks had really fallen off, I don't know what the numbers were before in Exfinity, but the top of the heap seems to be lacking quite a few, but then, what else hasn't shown a dwindling number of regulars, and the folks in Washington seem to think things are fine, but then maybe, they really aren't on top of what is going on out here in reality land! Just sayin! Bob

3 members like this post: DAD, jdull99, speed bump
3/16/16, 12:23 PM   #2
Re: Nascar ?
Nate

I think the problems with NASCAR are deeper than what the powers at be say they are. I for one use to be a big fan back in the day, now I may flip it over if I'm in front of a TV on Sundays to watch the last few laps, that's about the extent of my involvment.

One major issue is their audience. Their ratings are down and every time I do flip on the TV to watch the stands are half empty. People say its not a big deal but if you're any kind of fan you know it is. Dirt tracks (or small pavement) go under all the time if they can't get fans in the stands. Latest example: Illiana Speedway. Additionally if they can't get people to watch or come to races then why would all of these big name sponsors keep spending all that money to help fund race teams. Being a sponsor isn't cheap. Even title sponsor Sprint has jumped overboard.

Then of course if the sponsors do jump ship on some of these teams how are teams expected to field cars without that major cash flow? There is already a huge disparity in competition in that series. Besides at their plate tracks you can pretty much guarantee that the winner is going to come from one of the following teams: Gibbs, Hendrick, Penske or Stewart-Haas. The rest are out there turning laps, and it's not very entertaining. Who want's to sit there for 4 hours and watch a race in which 3/4 of the cars aren't even on the lead lap.

As for the lower divisions...I don't even know how they survive, I'd have to think their ratings are even worse and there is nobody in the stands for those series. If it comes down to money I don't know why you'd even field a team in Xfinity or trucks, you can make more money taking the start n park route in Cup.
Last edited by Nate; 3/16/16 at 12:36 PM.

3/16/16, 1:25 PM   #3
gary curry

Just finished NASCAR Las Vegas. The stands in 3/4 turn have been covered with gravel and they put in facilities for additional motor homes above them. I was told by a track security person that they sell those spots for 8,000. It doesn't seem like anybody actually starts racing until about 50 laps to go. I guess that's why sprint cars are much more exciting. They really do SPRINT--------------and they don't bring out near as many yellow flags.

3 members like this post: FALCONEDDIE, Ken Bonnema, TQ29m
3/17/16, 3:38 PM   #4
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Those NASCAR stands from Charlotte and Daytona look real nice at Susquehanna Speedway! Aluminum always looks better with a lite coating of red clay anyway.

3/17/16, 10:51 PM   #5
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

70% of their revenue comes from tv, 10 years of guaranteed money. Don't worry too much about NASCAR they don't care about the fans in the stands.

1 member likes this post: FALCONEDDIE
3/18/16, 6:22 PM   #6
Backitin

The rules have gotten ridiculous, every car is literally exactly the same, proved by a friggin laser.
I'm sure owning a nascar vehicle isn't much fun and driving one looks worse.
People will do anything for big bucks and glory.
Racing to me should have nothing to do with conserving fuel and tires.
As far as the sprintcars bringing out way fewer yellows even my wife noticed that. We've been watching nonwing reruns and her words were that the guys in the sprintcars seem to have more driving talent, no ****. I believe I see the same thing.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Nascar ?