IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona crowd so small today
2/11/18, 8:58 PM   #1
Daytona crowd so small today
chathamracefan

Did anyone else watch the clash today? I watched it for a bit. The crowd was jarringly small. It did not appear there were more than 5,000 there. This was an event that used to draw 50,000 plus. Amazing how far it has fallen

3 members like this post: dirtball, duel, jdull99
2/11/18, 9:07 PM   #2
Re: Daytona crowd so small today
cornerthree

Poor product = poor crowd

2/11/18, 9:53 PM   #3
Wingman

No Earnhardt + Poor Product = Poor Crowd

2 members like this post: jdull99, Owen
2/11/18, 11:25 PM   #4
chathamracefan

Oh I know why the crowds have dropped. My own interest has cratered Over the last several years. It was just shocking to see how bad it was today. I literally think a big sprint week crowd would be comparable in numbers to it

3 members like this post: jdull99, speed bump, Therealether
2/11/18, 11:27 PM   #5
dirt330

Didn't notice because I won't watch.

2/12/18, 6:55 AM   #6
dsc1600

I actually went yesterday, had never been to Daytona and hadn’t had a chance to go to Florida in Feb before.

Cheapest ticket was 55 bucks, which is absurd given all they were doing was running time trials and a 75 lap exhibition.

Even with the small crowd, it still took me 30 minutes in the ticket line as they had no specific lines for gen admission versus reserved seating.

When i got in there, most of the concessions hadn’t opened yet as apparently paying the staff for an extra couple of hours is off budget.

And of course if you saw the race, total snoozer.

I won’t be back, a decision that has been made by thousands of people before me by the looks of it.

2/12/18, 8:44 AM   #7
miledirt

It wasn't that long ago that Twin 125's or 150's on Thursdays were a big deal. They meant something. In each race you had 4,5 drivers that were trying to make the show. Now they all get in. Personally, I take no joy in what's happened to IndyCar and what's happening now in the steep decline of NASCAR but it's true that their loss is dirt racings gain. Our big events are going up, while theirs are dropping

4 members like this post: dirt330, duel, Pat O'Connor Fan, speed bump
2/12/18, 10:50 AM   #8
The Old Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt330 View Post
Didn't notice because I won't watch.
My sentiments exactly. I haven't watched NASCRAP for at least 5 years.

2 members like this post: dirt330, superstock30
2/12/18, 2:29 PM   #9
ossuks

From interviews toward the end of the season, then interviews this week......Am I the only one that feels like I am watching people go to work at a job they do not enjoy?....Have they lost enthusiasm? Especially the older drivers, seems to me that they do not have the passion, do not enjoy, do not have the fire? Have the older drivers made to much money? I do not know, maybe it is just me? I just get the feeling that 50% of the driver population is doing us a favor by participating?

Seems the younger drivers with the smaller % based contracts have more enthusiasm?

3 members like this post: fish, Pat O'Connor Fan, Therealether
2/12/18, 4:07 PM   #10
Therealether

Problem #1: Dale Jr. is gone.
Problem #2: Too expensive.
Problem #3: Too hot, this is why they race at night in July. Nobody is going to bear the heat to watch a nothing race.
Problem #3: There's no excitement anywhere around Daytona this year. There's no buzz about Nascar, nobody cares anymore. They have been SRO at Volusia Speedway the past 4 or so nights for the WoO cars. That's where everyone has been going. Met lots of people who came for the dirt track, haven't met a single person here for Nascar yet. Btw, when they announce a "sellout" for the 500, keep in mind each and every Nascar employee gets 4 free tickets, even the temps.And since they work race day, they won't be using them.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona crowd so small today