IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > KC STAR: USAC Sprint Cars Return to Lakeside Speedway
4/25/15, 6:17 PM   #1
KC STAR: USAC Sprint Cars Return to Lakeside Speedway
richie

Story from the Kansas City Star Newspaper previewing the AMSOIL USAC Sprint Car race at Lakeside Speedway (Kansas City, Kansas) on Sunday night.

USAC SPRINT CARS RETURN SUNDAY TO LAKESIDE SPEEDWAY AFTER 14-YEAR ABSENCE

BY TOD PALMER – TPALMER@KCSTAR.COM
4/25/2015 1:21 PM

After a 14-year absence, the United States Auto Club’s Sprint Car seriesvreturns Sunday to Lakeside Speedway in Kansas City, Kan., with the 2015 Amsoil USAC Sprint Car Weld Racing Spring Classic.

The USAC National Midgets series have made a few appearances at Lakeside in recent years, but the sprint car series hasn’t returned since NASCAR Xfinity Series and Sprint Cup driver J.J. Yeley took the checkered flag on July 6, 2001.

“It worked in the schedule for both of us,” said Richie Murray with USAC public relations. “It was time for us to get back there.”

The series’ drivers feel the same way. “I’m excited for that area,” USAC veteran Tracy Hines said Friday by phone. “It’s always a good racing community there. We ran some races at Grain Valley, so the other side of the KC split there, and we’ve always had good crowds and a good atmosphere. Hopefully, that will work this weekend.”

Hines, who started racing USAC Sprint Cars in 1997 and ranks third all-time on the circuit’s sprint car wins list, remembers the last race and Lakeside and is eager for a return.

“I’ve been around a long time and got to see many faces of Lakeside,” Hines said.

“I’m definitely excited to get back and hopefully we’ll bring a good race for everybody. … People have noticed that it’s back on the schedule. For the younger generation, it’s just, ‘Oh, we’re going to another race,’ but I have the benefit of being on the track when it was pavement and dirt.”

The track operated as a 1/2-mile asphalt track until 2000 when it was converted to a 3/8-mile dirt track.

Hines, who currently sits in eighth in the sprint car division points standings, remembers finishing second in a midget race at the track in 1995, but he is glad USAC’s most popular series, the sprint cars, is back there.

Hines is the 2002 USAC Sprint Car champion.

“It’s going to be an incredible show at Lakeside Speedway on Sunday night,” Murray said. “Everyone I’ve talked to is looking forward to the first USAC Sprint Car race at Lakeside in 14 years.”

The Sprint Car series, which made its first appearance at Lakeside on Sept. 1, 1963, raced Friday in Eagle, Neb., and Saturday in McCool Junction, Neb.

Weld Racing, the race’s title sponsor, operates a 140,000-square-foot manufacturing facility for wheels in Kansas City, Mo.

Gates open for spectators at 4 p.m. on Sunday with time trials scheduled for 6 p.m. The green flag drops at 7:30 p.m.

General admission tickets are $25, but kids ages 10 and under receive free admission. Suite tickets are available for $35 and pit passes cost $30.

The United States Racing Association’s Stock Cars also will race Sunday at Lakeside Speedway.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > KC STAR: USAC Sprint Cars Return to Lakeside Speedway