IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > THAT-Surprised no one has seen this
3/5/23, 1:30 PM   #21
Re: THAT-Surprised no one has seen this
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Hopefully it works out for this group! Maybe bring back the Hut 100 in 2024???
C'mon Jason you know better than that. You would get about 10-12 cars show up on a half mile. Midgets on big tracks are long gone due to the engine cost. Its a shame but its true.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3/5/23, 1:35 PM   #22
kcarm92

They will be racing from what we have heard,,from reliable source.its not all Fairboard , but be glad someone's stepping up.to keep that going,

3/5/23, 1:36 PM   #23
wingedsprint47

I don’t understand this either. Bob Sargeant is one of the best promoters in the business. Why they would turn down a 10 year extension with him I don’t get
Last edited by wingedsprint47; 3/5/23 at 1:37 PM.

3/5/23, 1:44 PM   #24
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Hopefully it works out for this group! Maybe bring back the Hut 100 in 2024???
JMO…..would be great but I don’t think that would work at Terre Haute anymore. Besides the 4 Crown I don’t know of any midget races on 1/2 miles anymore. Once again it’s a different era of racing and a lot of guys won’t run sprint cars on a 1/2 mile anymore. I think that’s a big reason Terre Haute doesn’t run on Saturday nights…. Guys are running at the weekly tracks like Putnamville, Paragon, The Burg etc. I go back to the days when they ran midgets on the miles, remember seeing Don Branson lead for 99 laps at the Milwaukee Mile ( on a Friday afternoon race during fair week and Tony Bettenhausen passing him coming out of turn 4 on the last lap for the win. That was 1959 when I was 8 years old!

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

3/5/23, 1:52 PM   #25
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedsprint47 View Post
I don’t understand this either. Bob Sargeant is one of the best promoters in the business. Why they would turn down a 10 year extension with him I don’t get
A very reliable source told me Bob wanted 10 years but the fair board would only give him 5. The original post from the gentleman said the fair board needed a promotor to be a “partner” with the fair board. If the fair board needs a partner then they have to be willing to give the promotor some of the “gravy”. How many business people do you know that put money into something but don’t own it at all??

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
Last edited by cowboyhar69; 3/5/23 at 1:54 PM.

3/5/23, 6:25 PM   #26
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
A very reliable source told me Bob wanted 10 years but the fair board would only give him 5. The original post from the gentleman said the fair board needed a promotor to be a “partner” with the fair board. If the fair board needs a partner then they have to be willing to give the promotor some of the “gravy”. How many business people do you know that put money into something but don’t own it at all??

The last guys. New Armco both ends, New water tanks (Now removed) New concession equipt. And they lost their tails by the sound of it. Left the Armco though, Thanks!

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, TQ29m
3/5/23, 7:00 PM   #27
Wingsilvercrown355

Hopefully everything work out, I loved when the outlaws came to town the place was packed .

2 members like this post: 2rock21, tirespinner
3/5/23, 8:44 PM   #28
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
The last guys. New Armco both ends, New water tanks (Now removed) New concession equipt. And they lost their tails by the sound of it. Left the Armco though, Thanks!
My point Charles…. You see how that worked out. The weather absolutely killed Scott Ronk’s group, rain outs of the Hulman Classic on the original date and the ISW date. I think if those 2 shows would have happened we wouldn’t even be discussing this.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

3/5/23, 11:44 PM   #29
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
My point Charles…. You see how that worked out. The weather absolutely killed Scott Ronk’s group, rain outs of the Hulman Classic on the original date and the ISW date. I think if those 2 shows would have happened we wouldn’t even be discussing this.
The weather certainly didn’t do the last promotional team any favors, but IMO, they didn’t help themselves with the social media rants. They were dealt a crappy hand…I get that, but getting on social media and posting some of the stuff they did is a pretty sure way to turn people against you.

If Terre Haute is to survive, it is going to take someone that is experienced with promotion and that can afford to lose money to build Terre Haute back up. It’s not going to happen in a season. JMO.

3/6/23, 12:32 AM   #30
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
The weather certainly didn’t do the last promotional team any favors, but IMO, they didn’t help themselves with the social media rants. They were dealt a crappy hand…I get that, but getting on social media and posting some of the stuff they did is a pretty sure way to turn people against you.

If Terre Haute is to survive, it is going to take someone that is experienced with promotion and that can afford to lose money to build Terre Haute back up. It’s not going to happen in a season. JMO.

I said that a long time ago, That all Track announcements and anything from the track should have been done by someone with PR experience vs what happened. You are also right, If you have to make up most of your investment quickly. You're in trouble to begin with.. Spiker bought LPS invested in the place, treated people right. even gave a free show or two. But now he's got a hillside full for weekly shows and they're paying customers. It takes time to build trust, That your welcomed and appreciated. THAT last year both had the weather problem and a out of control pissed off investor. (I can't blame him for being upset) I can see the damage done by the cat out in public.

4 members like this post: cowboyhar69, DaveP63, erich45, openwheelfan1
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > THAT-Surprised no one has seen this