IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Well I lost Dang It
8/29/15, 10:48 AM   #1
Well I lost Dang It
DAD

We loaded up to go to Little Salem last night to watch the first running of the Gloria Shipman memorial race for the POWRi D II Midges. My plan was to entice the first two rows of the main to start from the rear of the pack to liven things up just a little with a cash challenge of $200.00 to the driver that would take the challenge and more if any of the others would also like to race from the back of the patch also. Well circulating through the pits flashing $100.00 bills and smiling wasn't doing much good. It was a prestigious race and everybody wanted that trophy.

The time came for the drivers introduction and I gave it one more shoot. They announced Chett Gehrke the inside pole car. I Offered him $300.00 and he looked willing but was thinking too long so I unfolded another $100.00 and he agreed to go back. Then I offered it to the outside front car of Danial Lucas and he shook his head no. Went back to the second row of Bob Griffiths and Michael Roehling and they both passed on the offer. I felt a little more secure in my bet because Chett would be starting in the back with Andy Bradly a very fast car but Andy had ran out of luck in his heat and flipped. So it should still have been a pretty good race I thought. It turns out Lady Luck had walked out on Andy once more and he finished the race before it started. So now it is Chett by himself back there in the back. The green flag finally came out and all the cars managed to make a lap and the race was on. Without Chett coming from the back like a Rocket ship the race still would have still been an outstanding race. As in any Midget race attrition took it toll and I think only 9 cars were around for the finish of the 27 lap race chose I think to honor Gloria's I think Birthday. Following Chett to the finish was Scott Bradley and Michael Roehling both out of town Hot Shoes.

I heard some discussion after the race about the automotive motors not being fair for the Mini Sprint cars. We race a Mini Sprint Car and I think both cars with equal drivers would have been just as fast. That money sent Chett on a mission. Most of the racers were content to play it safe racing the bottom of the track Chett took it right up to the cushion and that thing was just inches off of the turn 1 and 2 wall and the 3 and 4 turn launching ramp, nobody chose to run up there very long except Chett.

If you like Midget racing but are so disposed to think that the national cars are the only show in town. Invest in a little gasoline I think admission is only like $6.00 a head and venture down to Salem and watch the POWRi DII Midget guys. I have always called that little track "Wonder Valley" because you never know what will happen next there. Well it looks to me with just a little support it is ready to take off again.

I went home just a little lighter but I watched on heck of a race and driving demonstration and the abundant crowd in the stands spent a large part of that race standing and cheering and that is what they are supposed to do at a Midget Race.

AND on top of everything else I learned that the Shipman's and I can trace our friendship all the way to the early 60 and Quarter Midget racing days.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/29/15 at 11:16 AM.

8/30/15, 7:29 PM   #2
Re: Well I lost Dang It
DAD

Here is a link to the race video https://video-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hv...db&oe=55E3B51D Another thing did you notice the heads in the grandstands. These guys down at Thunder Valley are trying to run a lower gear than most of the other tracks around them (Adult Grand stand tickets for $7.00) seems to be filling the grand stands pretty good. Families can almost afford to load up the kids and take them to the races. Not a bad idea.
Last edited by DAD; 8/30/15 at 8:13 PM.

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, MidwestD2Midget
8/30/15, 8:14 PM   #3
Avon Open Wheel fan

The Lucas Oil POWRi D2 Midwest Midget Series will be in action again on September the 11th at Thunder Valley Raceway. Admission is just $7
Last edited by Avon Open Wheel fan; 8/30/15 at 8:15 PM.

8/30/15, 10:23 PM   #4
Bear10

Sounds to me like some dirty driving g occurred there ! Pretty sad have to take good cars out just because you can't keep up with them.

8/30/15, 10:53 PM   #5
mud chassis

I ran in this race. I did not see an dirty driving. Some people got to excited. Shannon

2 members like this post: AFR37X, DAD
8/31/15, 2:58 AM   #6
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear10 View Post
Sounds to me like some dirty driving g occurred there ! Pretty sad have to take good cars out just because you can't keep up with them.
Bear

The videos are on line>>I saw a few racing brain farts but not a lot of dirty driving (just a few guys that haven't learned open wheel manors yet) I don't think Chett touched any body all night long and he was the guy to beat>>he did have to dodge a few cars, but manage to stay out of trouble. Granted they are a few racers around that don't have a clue about Blocking>>Charging>>and holding their racing line. Since a lot of these guys are just starting out I think it would be a good idea to address proper open wheel driving in the rule book in a little more detail and perhaps come up with a few penalty for drivers that disregard them. The best open wheel drivers usually learn this stuff at about age 6 or 7 years old and it becomes second nature to them.

Honest Dad himself

8/31/15, 9:52 AM   #7
illinisprintfan

A school mate of my daughter, Dylan Moan, was there racing. This is either his first or second year running mini sprints. He had a Go Pro on the cage, so I got to watch the first two attempts to start the race. He got taken out on the second attempt at the start by a blue car veering waaaaaaay over into him, knocking him into a orange car that got upside down. Dylan bent a shock and was done for the evening.

2 members like this post: Bradleyracing86, DAD
8/31/15, 11:23 AM   #8
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisprintfan View Post
A school mate of my daughter, Dylan Moan, was there racing. This is either his first or second year running mini sprints. He had a Go Pro on the cage, so I got to watch the first two attempts to start the race. He got taken out on the second attempt at the start by a blue car veering waaaaaaay over into him, knocking him into a orange car that got upside down. Dylan bent a shock and was done for the evening.
Ill

Can you get him to post what he has>>>>Thanks

You know just about anyone can learn to drive a race car in about Half an hour (Ask the people at the Petty Experience Race School). A whole lot of people can drive a race car for years and not learn how to race one properly. This is one reason for suggesting a more detailed description of driving transgressions in the rule books and penalty for them. In the old and less PC days these lessons were usually taught in the pits right after the race.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/31/15 at 11:35 AM.

1 member likes this post: scott22
8/31/15, 11:29 AM   #9
Bear10

You don't go from one side of the track to the other and use the excuse of a rookie!!!! Just my oppinion... gotta be smart or you can get hurt ! Enough of that has went on !

1 member likes this post: DAD
8/31/15, 12:06 PM   #10
17d71mwin

First of all I am glad that Brian Martin and Andy are ok from their accidents. Brian is pretty banged up and the car is destroyed. I would like to thank DAD for coming and for Thunder Valley for allowing us a place to race. Bear10 I have looked at in car video and video from the stands. The blue car that started on the outside of the 5th row came down into the right front of the 17D car. When that happened it shoved the 17D car low and Andy was coming on the inside and did not have enough room to clear the 17D's left rear and the ride was on. I would be the first to call out if he (17D) jumped out of his line but, he didnt and he has been taught from the beginning to stay in your line especially on the starts and definately since the 17D is only running a 600. It wouldnt matter if it was a rookie or a seasoned veteran with the shot that he got in the right front the car was going to go left. The sad thing is that the blue car that came from the outside down across the 17d says he has been doing this for 30 years but he was the one who started the incident. In the end we should be thankful that everyone is ok.
Thank you again Thunder Valley and DAD
Thanks for the support Joe
Scott Moan

2 members like this post: Bradleyracing86, DAD
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Well I lost Dang It