IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rear End Saver/Snout Saver
12/16/19, 7:29 PM   #1
Rear End Saver/Snout Saver
sprint17jr

Has anyone used the King brand rear end saver or snout saver? Do they actually work to protect the rear housing? Is it possible for them to come apart on a rough track?
Let me know if you have any experience with these please?
Thanks!

12/19/19, 8:07 PM   #2
Re: Rear End Saver/Snout Saver
Eric Smith

I use them. I special ordered grade 2 bolts to bolt the saver to the rear. In two different crashes, I have broken those grade 2 bolts. Both times the torque tube and the rear end checked out perfectly fine and straight. New bolts and I was back in business. A crash prior to the saver broke the housing. I'm hooked and won't run without one again. I bought mine at the fairgrounds swap meet for $5. I think the key is using soft bolts so they are the weak link and break before anything else has a chance to. My bolts don't come up flush with the surface of the saver, so I silicone washers in place to fill the gap. That way the torque tube is tight against the washers that are tight against the bolts, so the bolts can't back out. You can't see the bolts and the only way to check them is to take the torque tube out otherwise.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rear End Saver/Snout Saver