IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Az race fan
2/20/23, 1:11 AM   #1
Az race fan
SCRAFAN

Planning on coming to Indiana for the sprint week. I will be bringing a travel trailer and was thinking of staying at Lieber State Park. Looks like I will be driving about 2 hours to get to most tracks.(except Lincoln)Is there a better spot or just camp out in the parking lots of the tacks I go too. Will be coming from Az. Any info is appreciated.

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, Ilovedirttrackracing
2/20/23, 9:16 AM   #2
Re: Az race fan
bart

Last year I pulled a travel trailer from Texas for Sprint Week. I knew I was not going to stay in one place the whole time so I set up the travel trailer at Kokomo on Friday. There were many RVs and trailers there, kinda a Race Central for some. Went to the race at Gas City on Friday and made the short trip back to Kokomo after the race. Saturday's Kokomo was a rainout. I then towed to Indy Sunday and decided not to go to the Burg. Stayed in Indy a couple of days parked at a friend's business, hit the IMS Museum, and a couple of race shops before Tuesday's Circle City show. Then towed over to Terra Haute and stayed on the Fairgrounds the next couple of nights which puts me closer to Putnamville and Bloomington. The Terra Haute was a rainout, but the Fairgrounds also has a dump station.

Hope this helps.
Bart
Attached Images
Kokomo-2022.jpg (318.6 KB, 58 views)

2/20/23, 12:37 PM   #3
DirtTrackTherapy16J

SCRAFAN...I honestly think your question will have to be answered by you and/or your family/friends depending on who is coming with you, if anyone, which isnt my business, on what your wishes are for your trip. Some of that will be are you a drinker or nondrinker, do you have a designated driver, etc. Again none of my business, just things only you can decide, which may help answer your question.

We all see lots of people travel, track to track with their camper trailers and motorhomes. Some as mentioned above park at one track for a while. But I think what you have to decide is what your looking to do and your cost. If you want water, electric hookup, dump stations, you may look at going to different state parks and campgrounds. For an example, on the East side of Indy right off of 465 is one of our most amazing parks, Fort Harrison State Park. Jump on 465 to 69 and your right at Gas City in an hour. Jump on 465 to 31 North and your at Kokomo in an hour. Then Circle City is very very close to Fort Harrison State Park, maybe 20 minutes. Lawrenceburg is kinda a lone ranger in the far Southeast corner, but I do believe they have camping as most tracks do.

Then you may think about another amazing state park with Brown County State Park which could kinda center you for Terre Haute IF it opens, Lincoln Park, and Bloomington.

Then on your way back home to AZ hit Haubstadt for the finale, which there are several nice state parks and campgrounds in and around the Haubstadt area as well.

If your interested in the state parks route, you can view and get more details online with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. If you want to go the track route, visit their websites and/or social media, except Gas City, dont waste your time or energy, they wont respond. Also if you go the state park route you may to check and see if you have to make reservations. The past few years most state parks during the summer require reservations as they fill up very very quickly.

Good luck to you, safe travels, hope you have a great time this summer and great Indiana Sprint Week.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 2/20/23 at 12:54 PM.

2/20/23, 7:12 PM   #4
Moreland76

The most central location for the second half of sprintweek if you don’t want to stay at the track is M cormick creek in Spencer. State road 46 runs from b-town to terre haute and you just 421 straight north to lps.

4 members like this post: bart, BrentTFunk, racenut69, spankytoo
2/21/23, 1:12 PM   #5
addictedtodirt

Lieber is a nice state park and easy to park in. Most sites are level making setting up a breeze. The cell service can be spotty. This park is a solid choice for the second half of sprint week.
Another option to consider may be Mounds State Park. It is much closer to the tracks in the first portion of sprint week leaving you with shorter drives. The park has more trails and history to offer than Lieber if you are into that.
Nothing wrong with camping at a track and making it your base either. Just plan on no hookups and you'll be fine.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing
2/21/23, 5:36 PM   #6
Andrew S. Quinn

I dont think Fort Benjamin Harrison has camping. Occasionally I get called out there at night, and the main gate at 59th street and Post Road are locked,and I have to unlock the gate with my company's key,and let myself in and out.

1 member likes this post: Ilovedirttrackracing
2/21/23, 5:40 PM   #7
SCRAFAN

Thank you guys for the responses. Will take them all into consideration

2/21/23, 7:54 PM   #8
captrat

Lieber is the black hole for internet signal.

1 member likes this post: Hustlin-Hoosier
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Az race fan