IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Safety at LPS!!
8/14/09, 1:38 PM   #1
Safety at LPS!!
modracer9

My name is Joe Stewart I am part of the crew for mark aulers 10h modified team. First i would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers for mark and his family. He needs it. That being said, I was all for Spiker taking over at lps and returning it to its glory days but after last saturday night and the lack of respect mr. spiker has showed for mark and his family i have changed my mind. I am not one to start rumors but i do WANT some answers as I am sure all of you will. First we were told the DA had to cover the insurance for the clash cause spiker did not have any for the track. Mr spiker is this true? marks wife has left several messages for spiker and he has not returned one single call.If this is the case I hope all of us racers go some where else to race. The second thing is the total lack of knowledge and competance of the track crew and especially the so called E.M.T. in the non certified ambulance. Before anyone judges me, yes i am a certified emt, trained in motorsports safety and patient removal and currently have 13 years expierence. The way marks car was flipped over and dropped was a complete act of ignorance. then to remove him with a c collar that dont fit and when asked by a track official if the emt wanted a spine board she said "no lets get him out of here first". that track member is willing to testify in court by the way. The emt asked mark to "jump down off the car and wave to the crowd cause it will make THEM feel better". after they walked mark to the so called ambulance she had him lay down on a spine board but did not secure his head. seeing this and fearing for my friends well being I got into the unit with them. I had to secure his head and assess his injuries because she had not. I asked this emt for a light to check his pupils and she hands me one that all but works. I stayed with him for approximetly 20 mins until operation life showed up. I dont want a pat on the back or anything else I just dont want this to happen again, its not worth it. any ?s or comments call me on my cell 812-841-0588 :30:

8/14/09, 2:28 PM   #2
Re: Safety at LPS!!
bandres21

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 46

jeez,7 years of allisons penny ante ******** not one word out of you,spiker doesn't straighten it out in two weeks your all over him.i'm geusing said trackworker got fired.if you would check there website joe has got the emt,ambulance and fire crew situation improved starting this weekend.

8/14/09, 2:55 PM   #3
john3g

***THIS NOT A SLAM TO ANYONE!!!!Not to the Spiker Crew or anyone else but I am suprised****
I called Julie (Marks wife) and got the whole story and to be honest I'm shocked.The Gurley family and the Auler family have been extremely close for years now and to listen to what Julie was telling me,well, it just made me sick to my stomach.I guess for the first time in a long time I really don't know how to respond or at least put it into words.Julie is going thru a racing wifes worst nightmare and I can't believe no one has contacted her outside of UMP to get the insurance ball rolling. She needs help and up to now has gotten zero from LPS. Joe Spiker is a good man and I like him and I hope that this is an oversight,albeit a gigantic one,that can be fixed ASAP before this thing blows up and makes the "A" bomb look like a firecracker.Julie if your reading this PLEASE call me for anything you guys might need!!! We are all here for you!! you guys have alot of friends that are willing to help!!! I owe Mark alot and I want to help my friend and his family in anyway I can.I want to thank Joe Stewart for jumping in and helping Mark.Your years of experience may have saved Mark from further injury and I for one thank you.

P.S...This is a situation with MARK is something that EVERY racer needs pay attention to no matter where they race and I mean EVERY RACER!!!!!!!!!Whoever reads this and has any brains at all CAN NOT be upset with Mr.Stewart for this post. I have talked to Joe and this post is out of CONCERN for all involved.If you have nothing good to say about him then you should just thank him for his service as EMT and leave at that!!! Joe did NOTHING WRONG!!!He helped out in 2 other crashes at P'ville during the same night.

I was just informed that Mr.Spiker Contacted Marks wife and informed her of the changes that have been made as well as the insurance info. I hope that the Auler family is taken care of as they should have been from the get-go by all involved..
Last edited by john3g; 8/14/09 at 3:47 PM.

8/14/09, 3:16 PM   #4
sprinter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandres21 View Post
jeez,7 years of allisons penny ante ******** not one word out of you,spiker doesn't straighten it out in two weeks your all over him.i'm geusing said trackworker got fired.if you would check there website joe has got the emt,ambulance and fire crew situation improved starting this weekend.
A classic case of shooting the messenger...LPS should not have run without certified EMT and fire personnel on board, regardless of who was promoting. The sad part of this is that you'll never learn of the EMT skill set unless you need them - by which time, it may be too late!

One would hope that this particular situation will be addressed by Joe Spiker at the pit meeting, and that LPS and Joe Spiker provide the injured driver and his family all of the support that they need. It's very unfortunate that it took an bad accident with injuries to bring this to light..but I hope it'll get EVERYONE'S attention.....

8/14/09, 3:39 PM   #5
safetyworker

Maybe it is just me...I do not believe a message board is the best way to solve this problem. If you have not communicated directly with the promoter about the incident, you should. If the occurences are as you say, it was handled poorly. It is an example where the promoter needs to know what happened from someone with an educated eye. If he is informed of the circumstances and does nothing, then he deserves a public "kick in the shorts"...until he has had a chance to fix it, let's do it right...DIRECTLY. If the promoter has dealt properly with the situation, he should be thanked and congratulated for his actions.

Racers have every reason to be concerned about the safety response at tracks where they compete...and communicating with the promoter when problems are identified is NECESSARY!

8/14/09, 3:50 PM   #6
Kevracer58

Quote:
Maybe it is just me...I do not believe a message board is the best way to solve this problem
No, it's just you- I will that this is not the forum for these types of issues

8/14/09, 3:59 PM   #7
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyworker View Post
Maybe it is just me...I do not believe a message board is the best way to solve this problem. If you have not communicated directly with the promoter about the incident, you should. If the occurences are as you say, it was handled poorly. It is an example where the promoter needs to know what happened from someone with an educated eye. If he is informed of the circumstances and does nothing, then he deserves a public "kick in the shorts"...until he has had a chance to fix it, let's do it right...DIRECTLY. If the promoter has dealt properly with the situation, he should be thanked and congratulated for his actions.

Racers have every reason to be concerned about the safety response at tracks where they compete...and communicating with the promoter when problems are identified is NECESSARY!
I agree and I believe that this is exactly what has transpired here.Mark's wife WAS contacted today.So Mr.Stewart's posting obviously did the job...I want to thank Mr.Spiker for getting with Julie.I do wish it would have been 5 days sooner but I'm still glad to see he did.I am also glad to see that changes have been made at the track.I just wish that they could have been made without anyone getting hurt...I'm still glad to see LPS headed in the right direction..

9/6/09, 2:16 PM   #8
Funky53

Race Count This Year: 3

i am one of the infield workers at LPS....i think mr stewart is right...i was giving a suggestion to hook a wreckor to the other side of the car and us flip it over then let it down easy with the wreckor...i hope mark and his family are doing okay...i will be praying that he will get better soon.

9/6/09, 5:26 PM   #9
Hurryinhoosier

First off, I hope that Mark and the family get thru this as well as can be. Secondly, I think Joe has spoken very well and this post is not a bad one. things like this,when discussed, on a message board RESPONSIBLY, will generally bring out good results. This time, I feel that it has.

Track personnel come and go but we all know that we depend on quality medical protection even though we hope we never need it. Inadequate equipment and personnel is a problem that unfortunately we must deal with. Ambulances that are not stocked, wont start, or not worth the gas that is in them are everywhere and ultimately, its our fault if we get burned by them.

As racers, we take responsibility for our car, our truck/trailer, and everything else we need. We go and walk the track, watch the prep work going. We have our hands in everything so why shouldnt track safety be in there as well.

Fire protection is the same. Ive saw numerous tracks that have charged water bottles to put out fires....lets spray that on a alky spill and see how good it works out.

TW....dont know where im going here...food for thought maybe.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Safety at LPS!!