IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Vukovich Drake car
1/4/09, 4:53 AM   #1
Vukovich Drake car
WardRacing33

Race Count This Year: 8

I recently came across an archive of the history of a track in Alexandria IN called Armscamp Speedway. Here is the part that caught my eye dated 07-22-55

"One of the nation's fastest midget cars, a two cycle motorcycle engine-powered Drake, formerly owned by the late Bill Vukovich, will be in the starting field of Midget racing at Armscamp Friday night. Vukovich set a number of track records with the car and Tommy Ward (my grandfather) of Lafayette will race the car at Armscamp Friday night."

I remember my grandfather talking about his Drake car which he said was just a Harley motorcycle engine which was modified to be liquid cooled. I was just wondering if anyone might have a picture of this car. I would really like to get a copy of it if at all possible. I hope to hear from someone.

1/4/09, 5:03 AM   #2
Re: Vukovich Drake car
Jerry Spencer

I can remember the spark in Donnie Adams eye when he told stories about the track. Little Donnie may have some info laying around. :respect:

R.I.P. Donnie

Jerry #66
www.joshspencer.com

1/4/09, 8:46 AM   #3
SUPERDUKE
Banned

BILL VUKOVICH STILL HAS THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS RESTORED AND JOHN MECOM WANTS TO BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!! :checkered:

1/4/09, 8:50 AM   #4
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer View Post
I can remember the spark in Donnie Adams eye when he told stories about the track. Little Donnie may have some info laying around. :respect:

R.I.P. Donnie

Jerry #66
www.joshspencer.com
MORE THEN HALF THE TRACK REMAINS ON RT 28 JUST WEST OF TOWN NORTH SIDE OF THE ROAD!:applaud:

1/4/09, 10:39 AM   #5
SUPERDUKE
Banned

BAD HEWS!!!!!!!!! GREAT STORY BUT NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!! BILL VUKOVICH HAD TWO DRAKES CAR 1 AND CAR 4 THESE CARS NEVER LEFT CA. BILL SOLD THE 4 CAR TO ED JUSTICE AND THEY RACED IT AND IS THERE MUSUEM IN LA. AND BILL VUKOVICH STILL HAS THE 1 CAR!!!!!! :checkered:

1/4/09, 11:43 AM   #6
WardRacing33

Race Count This Year: 8

I'm not saying that I disagree but I'm sure my grandpa had a drake, and I never knew who had the car before him, but i do remember him saying it was from Cal, and that it was one of the first migets around with a pedal brake instead of a hand brake... not arguing, but I would like to get a pic and see if i can find one of him in his car and see if maybe it was some sort of copy or somthing...I honestly don't remember granda ever saying that it belonged to Vouk, which I would think he would, I just found this by googlling Tommy Ward.

1/4/09, 12:44 PM   #7
Dusty Goggles

Can't help you with a picture of Tommy Ward. Here are a few shots of Armscamp ( also called Hilltop Speedway ) near Alexandria.
DG
Last edited by Dusty Goggles; 7/4/09 at 3:27 PM.

1/4/09, 1:30 PM   #8
Tony74

You may in your searching about Armscamp look up some info on Lewis (Lou) Morgan, he and his brother at some point in time owned the track and several midgets racing there.
I know Lou always talked highly of Bob Breading, and how tough he was in a midget.

1/4/09, 2:56 PM   #9
aXe

canceled
Last edited by aXe; 1/4/09 at 3:14 PM.

1/4/09, 3:01 PM   #10
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Den....thought of you when I saw this one!!....Bingo...here you are!!.........

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Vukovich Drake car