IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OFF TOP. Formula 1 going to Las Vegas. 3 Races in the U.S.
3/23/22, 8:38 PM   #11
Re: OFF TOP. Formula 1 going to Las Vegas. 3 Races in the U.
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
Sure be nice if FLO had a non wing sprint car series like their 2022 Castrol® FloRacing Night in America late model series. Maybe some day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
And as you said it Would be cool to have a Sprint Night in America like Flo has for Super Late Models.

The only question I have it what 10-12 tracks would sign on to have a race?
WRG beat them to it when they started the Xtreme series this year. That is entirely to attract more non-wing and midget fans to subscribe to Dirt Vision. And as long as more people do subscribe, the series can grow to benefit more racers just like the FloRacing series will benefit the late model teams.

3 members like this post: Grocery Guy, nathans1012, Sprintfanatic
3/30/22, 11:05 PM   #12
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

For the first time since the 1985 South African Grand Prix, F1 will host a race on a Saturday in Las Vegas in 2023

Article includes some pictures of the racing circuit that includes part of the strip.

Racer.com
https://racer.com/2022/03/30/f1-to-r...wQLFLNesf0PWJo

Motorsport.com
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...W83NZEjZ_H-gO4

Formula 1 has confirmed a third race in the United States from 2023, with a race set to take place along the iconic Las Vegas Strip on a Saturday night.

For the first time since the 1985 South African Grand Prix, F1 will host a race on a Saturday, with the new event joining the calendar in November of next year. The track will take in a large stretch of South Las Vegas Boulevard, running from the Venetian resort to join the Strip from Sands Avenue and then up to a chicane to turn onto East Harmon Avenue at Planet Hollywood.
Last edited by nathans1012; 3/30/22 at 11:35 PM.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
3/30/22, 11:25 PM   #13
duel

I watch them now and then. They are still pretty boring to me. I would go back to the speedway to watch live. It's a circus.

1 member likes this post: Stevensville Mike
3/31/22, 7:24 AM   #14
Stevensville Mike

F1 isn't boring. It is just a different type of racing. To take it in you have to watch the whole season. How it unfolds. Which team is good where, and which team is bad where.

Now, in person I could see where one might feel they paid a lot of money for tickets and saw little action in front of them. But on TV, you see it all.

A lot of Euro F1 or South American F1 fans can look at dirt track racing and get turned off. It's dusty, the cars are "twisted and adjusted" to just turn one way, and I paid money to watch a feature last 25 minutes.

To each their own. To me - all.

5 members like this post: Bostonian, BrentTFunk, duel, jdull99, nathans1012
3/31/22, 10:43 AM   #15
duel

I was disappointed when they left Indy. Some of those teams were complaining that Indy was not cosmopolitan enough. The rubber debacle didn't help. I made every race and loved the sound and speed. I kinda think the opposite. Liked them better in person.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
3/31/22, 11:00 AM   #16
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Depending on overall trip cost for this race, I will be looking at going out to Vegas for this. This season so far the racing has been great, you have teams that have not been good the past few years doing a lot better and you have other teams struggling. These new car regulations have made the racing much better in my opinion.

4 members like this post: Bostonian, BrentTFunk, jdull99, nathans1012
3/31/22, 11:17 AM   #17
dsc1600

The price tag for Miami is insane, I'd expect high prices for Vegas too. There's alot of buzz to F1 now, ratings are almost triple what they were a few years back. Austin sold out last year and has already sold out for this year at least for seats.

It's attracting younger people, let's face it, NASCAR isn't exactly cool anymore.

3 members like this post: Bostonian, chrismattlin, PIT CART
3/31/22, 3:23 PM   #18
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Audi and Porsche set for F1 green light

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/79...YC_FFWCCdkuXUQ

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
3/31/22, 5:24 PM   #19
duel

After reading some of these posts I will have to watch some of these shows. It has been a few years other than Austin.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
3/31/22, 9:35 PM   #20
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo View Post
Nice to hear. US might have gotten that extra race because they canceled Russia. Only “woke” thing I agree with.
I was thinking about that also, Chief.

F1 is a power-money organization. They go where the cash is. They have to to stage their races. A few decades ago the Middle East countries opened up their coffers and had F1 come in. The United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, and then last year, Qatar and Saudi Arabia. These guys forked over HUGE amounts of cash to get onto the word stage. China and Russia got involved, too with the races in Shanghai and Sochi respectively, with the latter being at the former Olympics venue.

Now with Russia off of the map, they are looking elsewhere. The USA has stepped in with Miami this year and Las Vegas next year. We are talking HUGE amounts of dollars. It is interesting that these races have the financial support to stage them. Who is taking the plunge? I kind of wonder if they are going to turn a profit. The Middle East countries, China, and Russia wanted attention. Attendance at Bahrain and Saudi Arabia rivaled the crowd at TMS for the last IndyCar race. Nonetheless, they are getting attention on the world stage of sports. What is in it for the USA venues and bankrollers?

I am actually surprised that NASCAR did not throw their hat in the ring to bankroll and get behind something like this. Like them or not, think about it: Who better to advertise and stage an event for the media masses? They have a lot of cash, too. Maybe NASCAR cannot see it being profitable? Maybe they are ahead of this train wreck?

You have a good point, Chief. Like the head of an arrow.

Hey..... point..... arrow..... Chief.... coincidence? I think NOT!
Last edited by Stevensville Mike; 3/31/22 at 9:38 PM.

1 member likes this post: Chief Wahoo
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OFF TOP. Formula 1 going to Las Vegas. 3 Races in the U.S.