IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Computer Help
1/6/12, 7:21 PM   #1
New Computer Help
EldoraMark

My 9 year old Dell need replaced and I am asking for help from the computer smart members.

I want to be able to stream the races and down load vidios which I have trouble doing on my old computer. Other than surfing the net that is all I will be doing.

I do not want a Dell so I am leaning towards HP which I do get a nice discount. HP has a deal with 2 yr warantee and support.

My internet speed is 1 Meg download and 256 upload if that will help you computer wiz.

The HP that I am looking at is H8t series. It consist of the following

Processor : Intel Core i5 -2320 quad core 3.0 GHz 6 MB shared Cache

Memory: 8GB DDR3-133 MHZ SDRAM 4 DIMMS

Graphic card 1 GB DDRS Radeon HD 6450

Operating system : Windows 7 Home premium

Hard drive 1 TB 7200rpm .

Sound card Beats Audio

I hope that will help.

Thanks
Mark Fritz

1/6/12, 7:50 PM   #2
treecitytornado

Mark,

I have a good friend in the computer repair/custom building pc business. He told me to stay away from HP Pcs. They do have good printers though, I own one that has done a great job, for about 5 years.

Posted via Mobile Device

1/6/12, 7:59 PM   #3
Re: New Computer Help
EldoraMark

Our local repair shop said he sees more Dells but they sell more than HP

If you talk to a HP rep he said they have less problems than Dell
and Dell says they have less problem then HP

Thanks for the info

1/6/12, 8:09 PM   #4
TQ29m

JMHO, but I'd stay away from Windows 7, unless you have a lot of patience, and not much to move over from your old Dell. I bought a new one, with Windows 7, and finally took it back, it's a whole different world, or at least to me, I had a lot of stuff on my old one, that they couldn't move, so I ended up buying aused one, off Ebay, it's a Hp 5100 sff, small form factor, Dell, Hp and several others have them out on lease, and right now, they are upgrading all those out on lease, they are water cooled, for 24-7 operation, small enough to sit on the desk and not take up much room, everywhere I look anymore, in offices, that's what they have, I got mine for under a $100.00 on Ebay, and have had good luck with it. Most of them come with XP Pro, but most shops can upgrade them to office, I got mine all done for another $50.00, with all upgrades. Ck Ebay, they have Dell, Hp, and others who had them out on lease. Not recommended for gamers, but I've got a ton of stuff stored on mine, and even with a 40g hard drive, I have 64% open, and 2g ram. Works for me, they have some with larger HD's, just look around, they are built to last. Bob!

1/7/12, 12:07 AM   #5
miledirt

for whatever its worth, I finally gave into some friends and got a Macbook. I'll never go back. I love it. Had it two years now and runs like the wind

1 member likes this post: Todd Kimmel
1/7/12, 12:42 AM   #6
Speedracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoraMark View Post
My 9 year old Dell need replaced and I am asking for help from the computer smart members.

I want to be able to stream the races and down load vidios which I have trouble doing on my old computer. Other than surfing the net that is all I will be doing.

I do not want a Dell so I am leaning towards HP which I do get a nice discount. HP has a deal with 2 yr warantee and support.

My internet speed is 1 Meg download and 256 upload if that will help you computer wiz.

The HP that I am looking at is H8t series. It consist of the following

Processor : Intel Core i5 -2320 quad core 3.0 GHz 6 MB shared Cache

Memory: 8GB DDR3-133 MHZ SDRAM 4 DIMMS

Graphic card 1 GB DDRS Radeon HD 6450

Operating system : Windows 7 Home premium

Hard drive 1 TB 7200rpm .

Sound card Beats Audio

I hope that will help.

Thanks
Mark Fritz
Honestly, The only bad thing I can see is the internet speed and honestly it might not be bad at all. I have around 700 kilobits download with Hoosier Broadband. I can sometimes stream off ustream and sometimes can't. Turkey Night was fine, but the sprint races they had a couple week before that was a lost cause. Netflix and a few other places are just fine though. With 1 meg download you should be fine streaming most races. It will be close though.

Spec wise you will be more than fine just browsing and watching videos off youtube. HP doesn't bother me, though I have had some friends that have had problems with them, but that was several years ago.

I would make sure it has an HDMI port on it if you ever want to hook it up to a TV.

1/7/12, 3:44 AM   #7
Onlydirt

I got a iMac in October and I will never go PC again! Theres a learning curve to them, but it was worth every stinking penny spent. Getting ready to max out the RAM for my video editing. A 27" screen is crazy on top of my desk!!

1/7/12, 10:38 AM   #8
TQ29m

I've heard a lot of good things from friends, that have gone to Mac, or Apple for that matter, my problem goes farther back, when I bought my "first" computer, it was a Texas Instruments deal, with plug in applications, you had only so many to choose from, and they were enclosed, so there was nothing you could do, except put in your numbers, no communicating with it, no internet, then I bought one from Radio Shack, no operating system, it was on a floppy by itself, you had 2 drives, and A and a B, you had to load the OS, then what ever you were doing, was on a separate disc, still no internet, I spent one whole winter, writing a program, to be able to run my business off of, track and store inventory, write invoices, and at the end of the year, total all my sales, my sold, my inventory, and print out something I could use for tax purposes, and it worked, all the programs available at the time, you could run General Motors with. My first "real" one, was a blinding 6mhz, and in "turbo", it was 8mhz, better, bit still no internet. They have come a long way since the TI model, but one thing I think is true, they do make "cheap" versions, the one's that are sold thru the box stores, personally, I'd find a good tech, and have one built, that way when you pick it up, it's ready to go. Bob!

1/7/12, 11:00 AM   #9
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

I would stop by a local computer shop and have a custom one built just tell em what u want to do with it and ur budget. I'm bout to put one together for myself for the first time.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: cmakin
1/7/12, 11:17 AM   #10
fasterthanu

I would highly recommend you buy a MAC. I've been using them for graphic design and personal use since 1991. I wouldn't trade you 2 of DELL's newest and best PCs for one of my 3yr old MACS. I have bought 3 refurbished MACS and IBOOKS from gainsaver.com over the last few years and been very happy with them, but of course if you have the money a brand new one is the way to go.

1 member likes this post: Onlydirt
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Computer Help