IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Questions For The Experts
2/19/24, 5:30 PM   #21
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
Ocala (and for that matter, Volusia too) has dirt that is more sandy than a typical Midwestern track. IMO, Ocala/BRP has a much smaller "window" where it is tacky and not dry or slimy. It also seems to get VERY abrasive when it dries out. Volusia dried out both nights USAC was there as well, but Vousia doesn't seem to get as abrasive as does Ocala.

I have seen USAC there where some teams burn through (2) RR's in a 30 lap feature. I'm not defending the track crew, but there was weather relatively close by, and the wind was higher all evening than predicted, so they had conditions working against them all evening.
Let me first start by saying I wasn't trying to bad mouth the track and/or officials and workers. IF that's how it sounded, I apologize bc that's not what I was intending to do.

Now with your response, I can understand that, Southern Sand vs Midwest Clay...clay holds, retains, and drains water/moisture much much slower then sand/rock soil. On top of that, winds do pick up almost every time before a front, system, storm rolls in so combine the 2 factors and that would probably explain the difference in the other nights vs that night on abrasive conditions towards the tires. Bad luck for those drivers but better then a bad batch of expensive tires. Thanks for the post openwheelfan1.

1 member likes this post: openwheelfan1
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Questions For The Experts