IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Now for Something Completely Different
6/17/13, 8:30 PM   #1
Now for Something Completely Different
Tumey's 55

In the last few days I have read several posts about what people don't like or about how things were in the good old days. How about a thread expressing what you love about frequenting your local track or why I love sprint car racing.

I will start. I love being pelted with some mud balls as the track comes in. I love the fix from the vapor of burning fuel. I love watching DD ride the rim while The Throttle is digging around the bottom. I like a little dust to remind me I'm at a dirt track.

Anyone care to join?

Posted via Mobile Device

6/17/13, 8:36 PM   #2
Re: Now for Something Completely Different
BrandonT30

I like the smells of the racing fuel and the roar of 900 horses roaring to life during hotlaps still sends chills down my spine. Gotta love open wheel racing.

5 members like this post: jim goerge, KENDALLRACING, OTSNWR, racegal, Xflagman
6/17/13, 8:40 PM   #3
Sprints!

I love going to sprint races with my daughter. I love the smell of methanol as we are walking up to the gate. I love the noise of the engines as we arrive at the track. I love the drive home and re-living the slides by DD, the Bro, Short, Larson and so on. I love our vacation that we go on in July called INDIANA SPRINT WEEK!!! Oh hell I could go on and on but I love watching Jackslash so I gotta go. Hope this helps !

4 members like this post: FALCONEDDIE, jim goerge, KENDALLRACING, racegal
6/17/13, 8:56 PM   #4
CALandSurveyor8759

I love to watch single-car qualifying (honestly) in turn one, just to witness how much lateral force a right rear can withstand. The attraction for me has been the amount of pure desire that is manifested during the night's events. You can actually see desire, in the posture of a driver in an open cockpit, in the attitude of a car that is trying to run down a competitor, and by the amount of distortion a driver imposes on his right rear as he sails into turn one while he attempts to show the world who the ****-of-the-walk really is. Personally, I find it motivating, and use the example of desire that I see on a Saturday night to any endeavor that I apply myself to.

6 members like this post: jim goerge, KENDALLRACING, OTSNWR, racegal, welder, Xflagman
6/17/13, 9:22 PM   #5
SpfldMile

I love that half lap before the green. Anticipation and excitement are pegged.

Posted via Mobile Device

5 members like this post: Danny Burton, JordanBlanton, KENDALLRACING, OTSNWR, racegal
6/17/13, 9:23 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I still love seeing and hearing races at tracks that require no muffler. Im sorry, I know its bad for the ears but you used to feel it in your bones and still do at tracks that don't require them. That hollow sound of a single car qualifying at Eldora going into three and breathing the throttle.

I loved the Bert Emick All Stars.

I loved the Mopar Million.

I love Terre Haute

I don't mind a bit groove clods pelting me as long as there's no rocks.

I love racing

6/17/13, 9:40 PM   #7
terrehautian

My first memory of any racing was Saturday Night thunder on ESPN watching with my Grandpa. I finally got to a race in 2008, I helped Mike King and company with anything I could do (painting the walls, pumping water off the track, etc).

Here is a few things I love about local dirt track racing.

I love watching the little guy from small towns passing, winning, and out driving the guy who shows up in a million dollar rig with one or two back up cars.

I love watching cars slide around turns sideways and take off like a rocket.

I love rooting for the person who shows up with a open trailer.

I love listening to the sound of a 410 sprint car go full throttle.

I don't get to a lot of races a year now for a few good reasons, but will go to as many THAT weekend races I can.

6/17/13, 11:38 PM   #8
jim goerge

I love all of the stuff in the above posts

4 members like this post: Danny Burton, KENDALLRACING, PJ Wright, Sprints!
6/18/13, 12:33 AM   #9
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Here are some that bring me back to the track on a regular basis.

Smells:

* Entering the speedway to the aroma of freshly popped popcorn at the concession stand.
*The first shot of methanol each race night.

Sights

*The beauty of the lake in the infield of the Magic Mile at DuQuoin at night.
*The mighty midgets at Belle Clair swarming all over each other putting on a show.
*The two wheelers of AMA 4, 5 even 6 wide at times during the Indy Mile.

Feel

*Track turds greeting you during hot laps.
*the excitement when the flagman signals one to go for all of the marbles.
*Your hair standing up on the back of your neck at the start of the Little 500.

Sounds

*The roar of the Silver Crown cars down the front stretch at Springfield, DuQuoin and Indy.
*The ground pounders of MSA, MSR or ISMA at any track but especially Toledo and Sandusky.

Racing Family

*The folks you have met at the track and see only at the races and no place else. Good, honest, hard working men and women who make the trip worthwhile with a smile, handshake and maybe even a cold one. This is your racing family that you wouldn't even know if you hadn't gone racing. These are just a few of the great things about racing that I enjoy.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6/18/13, 2:52 AM   #10
BeerCloud

my dad took my first sprint car race many years ago at Ascot Park and Ive been hooked ever since.
if your first race was one of these last two midget week features at the Burg or Kokomo. I imagine you are now hooked too.
Get used to it, cause your gonna see that kinda racing about every week you go.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, KENDALLRACING
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Now for Something Completely Different