IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Costs of running a sprint vs midget
7/27/11, 1:17 PM   #1
Costs of running a sprint vs midget
F5 Racer

I had a thread on here asking opinions on if I should race midgets and I decided to pursue that. But I also talked to people on here and some suggested that for the same price I could go sprint car racing. So before I totally commit myself to one car I would like to get some feedback on the costs, maintenance, etc... between the midget and sprint car. If it helps I live in the St.Louis area so we have powri midgets and 2 local tracks that run winged sprints along with the new MOWA series. Thank you IOW members for all of your help.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/27/11, 4:07 PM   #2
Re: Costs of running a sprint vs midget
darnall

If all the sprint car racing in your area is winged, and all the purses are typical weekly track purses other than MOWA series shows, you will probably be money ahead to do a midget since you are in PowrI country.

If the sprint car racing in the area was non winged I would recommend going that route, but those barn doors really soak up the horsepower and spit it out on the ground, even on the small tracks like Farmington and jacksonville.

2 members like this post: bcraref, jim goerge
7/27/11, 7:07 PM   #3
F5 Racer

I was kinda thinking the same thing but just wanted to get others takes on it. Man I wish there was some non wing action around here, that's been my dream since I was a kid. Maybe one day I can talk my wife into moving to indy. I can dream right. Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/28/11, 12:43 AM   #4
fasster23

It's a haul from the StL but we run non-wing sprints at Valley Speedway weekly in Grain Valley, MO. about 20 minutes east of KC. It won't pay the money that Poweri does but it's an option. It's an open motor rule so there's 305 360 & 410 motors running together.
Posted using Mobile Device

7/28/11, 5:50 PM   #5
F5 Racer

Ya that's a little far for $400. Thanks for the input though. Any other feedback is welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/28/11, 6:52 PM   #6
bigpimpin35

Give your wife the boot and pack your backs for Indy Haha I'm kiddin. But seriously, don't give up on your dreams if your serious about it. Nothing like non wing sprint car racing in the Hoosier state.

7/28/11, 7:07 PM   #7
micro94

He gives his wife the boot he may not be able to afford it anymore. LOL. Just kiddin. Seems with your location you would have alot of opportunity to run the midget with PowrI and there is alot of tough competition. Just a thought.

7/29/11, 4:01 AM   #8
F5 Racer

Lol. She's is my sponsor hunter. I don't think I'll survive without her. I'm not giving up quite yet. The only thing that I'm having trouble with is it seems like when I go to buy a car I they both cost around the same for desent used stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/29/11, 10:07 AM   #9
wandak

I have been involved with open wheel racing since my marriage to a racer in 1955 and I have a different view from the others. My thought is that you are not going to make a living with racing and all of it is expensive and time consuming, so you and your wife had better have fun at it. You don't seem to be in a rush so I would suggest that you hang around the pits with the groups you are interested in. If there seems to be a lot of arguing, discontent, unhappiness, that might not be the group for you. If the racers AND their officials are open and friendly and answer your questions then, that is a group you might be better working with. The other part is how you and your family like to travel. POWRi is a traveling group and you have to love long hours on the road and late nights getting home. If you don't enjoy that kind of life then a race schedule that stays within 100 miles of home would be much better.
Wanda Knepper

2 members like this post: Need For Speed, sw1911
7/29/11, 10:49 AM   #10
F5 Racer

Great advice wandak. We love to travel so that shouldn't be an issue. My main concern is I know a lot of people say you can't do it for a living but that is the goal someday. Until then if it comes, I want to make sure I make good business decisions along the way. That's why I'm really trying to do my homework before we make a decision. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Costs of running a sprint vs midget