IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Races Cancelled
7/20/11, 7:21 PM   #1
Gas City Races Cancelled
bni69

Due to the extreme heat for racers, fans, safety crews, and track workers, Gas City will be cancelling races for this Friday. Next race will be Friday, July 29 with a regular program. It will also be "Road to the Jack Hewitt Classic" for sprints.

7/20/11, 7:39 PM   #2
EKracing

That's pretty weak
Posted via Mobile Device

7/20/11, 7:39 PM   #3
Re: Gas City Races Cancelled
EldoraMark

I been going to the races since 1966 and never seen one called off due to heat. They race in Kansas Texas, Arkansas in this heat all the time.
I saw state, City, and construction workers WORKING in this heat today. Our shop was about 110 inside and we had guys with welding clothing on. Yes it's hot but that is July for you.
It's your track and your call but I think you made a mistake.
Now I'm going back in the Air condition

7/20/11, 7:42 PM   #4
treecitytornado

GOOD CALL JIGGS!! Im glad you and Mike Miles have some respect for the fans and racers during this deathly heat wave we are having.

Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: Dannypollock24, randy j, speed bump
7/20/11, 7:49 PM   #5
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoraMark View Post
I been going to the races since 1966 and never seen one called off due to heat. They race in Kansas Texas, Arkansas in this heat all the time.
I saw state, City, and construction workers WORKING in this heat today. Our shop was about 110 inside and we had guys with welding clothing on. Yes it's hot but that is July for you.
It's your track and your call but I think you made a mistake.
Now I'm going back in the Air condition
You got that one right Mark...We race in the heat down here in Florida from May to Oct..It is hot but you adapt ..Drink water and fluids that help your body BEFORE you get to the track...Hard to believe that with all the rain outs this past spring, tracks are closing because of heat

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1 member likes this post: mowerman
7/20/11, 8:01 PM   #6
Jerry Spencer

Before you all blow a gasket give some thought to the people trying to prepare the track. Worked in the heat the last two days and got sicker than S$%^ this afternoon, how do you think Jiggs and Phil would get along in the heat. We wanted to get back on track just like everybody else but I respect them using there heads or should I say some common sense.

Jerry #66j
stida.com

7/20/11, 8:01 PM   #7
i love dirt track racing

wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope we can see a great car count at the burg sat. night

7/20/11, 8:04 PM   #8
EKracing

The only reason to blow a gasket is there is 7 months of winter knocking on the door. The right thing to do would be adding an additional event where we need to wear 3 or 4 jackets.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/20/11, 8:15 PM   #9
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer View Post
Before you all blow a gasket give some thought to the people trying to prepare the track.
Jerry I don't think anyone has blow a gasket at all...If these track workers you speak about work in the heat all week and drink water and fluids (NOT BEER) no problem...when I leaved in Kokomo and was hanging steel and steel decking for roofs it was hot up there, just have to take in the fluids...but then it is the tracks call...we will still be racing here in Florida come Dec and will not close cause it is too cold...just saying

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

7/20/11, 8:22 PM   #10
kasey2020

Well, that's definitely a first. I guess I can see both sides of it. However, with all of the rainouts we've had so far, seems like an awful risky call! Can't have perfect weather all of the time...it is Indiana after all. Hopefully, this isn't a trend with other tracks. I think you race and let people make their own decision as to whether or not to attend. Then again, I don't own or operate a racetrack.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Races Cancelled