IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Traveling Non-Wing 1000cc Mini Sprints
5/15/10, 7:28 PM   #1
Traveling Non-Wing 1000cc Mini Sprints
Bradleyracing86

Would people follow a non wing traveling series? Most of us knew mini sprints were competitive with full midgets and that was shown last weekend at Vernon. The question is would people race and keep car counts up in a non wing series... I can't recall what Don Moore said about the cost of a full midget, but I'm guessing the top of the line mini is the third of the price with just as good racing. With wings being harder to get, and two winged series, would one series be better off non wing? What's peoples thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

5/15/10, 8:00 PM   #2
Re: Traveling Non-Wing 1000cc Mini Sprints
Rob Reimer

I know we would much rather run non wing. It puts the driver back into the game. I know alot of people don't like the wings because of the extra strain on the motor and more cost in an accident if you get upside down or even on your side.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
5/15/10, 8:11 PM   #3
Bradleyracing86

Well facts are facts non wing racing builds better drivers. Minis are a training ground for tomorrows best and those who don't have enough cash to go full size (like me). We could even go half and half.. Most of the drivers who come out of minis go to full size non wing sprint cars... Just saying.
Posted via Mobile Device

5/15/10, 9:19 PM   #4
oldfatcat

I always hear how mini sprints are cheaper than full midgets . I have two full midgets and I have less in my cars than most mini sprints. That being said, I would point out that they are not new and they won't run with the high dollar midgets , which have become insane. I run with OMMS , non wing mini sprints and midgets both type of cars are competitive. On a tacky track there is a horse power advantage for my car , slick track swings the other way. One night I was the first midget in 7th place.I ran 12 races with the OMMS group and came out money ahead but my longest trip was 300 miles round trip. It would be hard to travel and still make money. Oh! by the way I really think the mini sprint is a neat way to go . I have had midgets for over forty years , something about old dogs and new tricks.

5/15/10, 9:31 PM   #5
Bradleyracing86

All I know is a 8000 dollar mini sprint was breathing on a very competive midget last Sat, yes the track was starting to slick off. But why pay more for a midget. I can build a competive mini sprint for 4k complete used car, and run any where with any mini. You can run the same motor 25 races with out freshing, if it blows by another for 1500 and go on. Right rear last 5 races no way a midget can run cheaper. Rules set up for stock motors, it would be like focus only alot faster and cheaper.
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

I respect your oppinion oldcat but I know even older midgets are high... Rearends are high, motors are high... How much fuel do they use? Even rubber gets high. I'm not trying to knock midgets I'm just saying there is a untapped non wing alternative. Use less than 10 gallons a night , less than 5 tires a year, and get some of these go kart and stock car guys in some open wheel racing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 5/15/10 at 9:32 PM.

1 member likes this post: Jrp4554
5/15/10, 9:52 PM   #6
SP Motorsports

There is another option as well.... TQ midgets. There are two groups. Both are non-wing and both have great racing at an affordable price. They also fit the traveling series idea you suggested. You can get decent used starter cars for around $4,000 including motor. Now that won't win you a feature, but it'll be good enough to get you in them.

5/15/10, 9:55 PM   #7
Bradleyracing86

4k you can win a feature with a mini. What does it cost to run a tq?
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

There again I'm not knocking tqs, but they have alot more moving parts, rearends, drive shafts, where does one find a motor, do they still make them. They make 1000s every day, you can run them stock, after market exhaust and that's it. No dry sumps, no push trucks,... I dunno just seemsike minis are cheaper.
Posted via Mobile Device

5/15/10, 10:13 PM   #8
rkbrewer83

Many moons ago we would drive to Northern Ohio to run with a non-wing mini-sprint series. I believe it was called the Ohio Buckeye Midget Series. The schedule was short, but we had a blast doing it. I only remember one midget actually racing with the rest being 1200 mini sprints. It was worth the 10-12 hours on the road to run our 1200 without a wing. I, for one, would be quite interested in such a series.

5/15/10, 10:21 PM   #9
fridaynightracer

Would this series take the place of mmsa? Since it's the newest series would it be the same people running it at the same tracks just wingless instead of wings?
Posted via Mobile Device

5/15/10, 10:26 PM   #10
Bradleyracing86

Possibly , we'd have to talk the series into it which is not likely . Why would that matter. ?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Traveling Non-Wing 1000cc Mini Sprints