IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana Sprint Heat
7/15/19, 7:52 AM   #1
Indiana Sprint Heat
ossuks

At what temp would promoters think about canceling? With feels like temperatures at 110 !
Wow, going to be a tough week for all involved!!

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/15/19, 8:31 AM   #2
Re: Indiana Sprint Heat
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Slim and none this week

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
7/15/19, 8:48 AM   #3
Non wing lover

I and the wife already changed our minds no speedweek for us this week mayvd Terre haute next week if it cools off not risking heatstroke if I drink a bunch of water I would just sweat it out anyways nice cool movie theatre sounds good loved to be at i69 and kokomo just going too damned hoteverybody that's goes have fun drink lots of water get your sunscreen on

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, mc/rider, PIT CART, tirespinner
7/15/19, 9:41 AM   #4
illinisprintfan

I think it was 6 or 7 years ago my wife and I were headed to Bloomington and got word they cancelled due to excessive heat. I thought " what a crock, it is not that hot", and then I got out of the car in Shoals to get gas and opened the door right into a blast of heat that took my breath away. It would have been dangerous for people to be out in that heat too long and especially the fire/safety guys being suited up. It might not be popular, but sometimes it is too hot to race.

5 members like this post: Bostonian, dirtnonwingfan, oppweld, PJ Wright, tirespinner
7/15/19, 9:57 AM   #5
flagboy55

Good points, especially since most of us fans are OLD! But the heat is not going to stop me from trying to make Plymouth and Kokomo. If I die from heatstroke, at least I went out doing what I loved!
Last edited by flagboy55; 7/15/19 at 10:11 AM.

7/15/19, 10:18 AM   #6
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non wing lover View Post
I and the wife already changed our minds no speedweek for us this week mayvd Terre haute next week if it cools off not risking heatstroke if I drink a bunch of water I would just sweat it out anyways nice cool movie theatre sounds good loved to be at i69 and kokomo just going too damned hoteverybody that's goes have fun drink lots of water get your sunscreen on
I hear you Jimmy and when you are diabetic it just sucks the sugar right out of you.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ronmil, tirespinner
7/15/19, 10:38 AM   #7
D.N.3

It’s July, it’s going to be warm. Come race time, 7:00 it will be comfortable. With all the rain outs this year some warm weather is welcomed. Support your local tracks that give us a place to watch our favorite drivers entertain us.

7/15/19, 10:39 AM   #8
Jerry Shaw

Other than a few dangerous days at the end of this week, the weather forecast is good for Sprint Week. Especially compared to the rainy/stormy, spring/early summer we've all lived through this year. The 2 week period is drier overall and after Sunday the high temps are supposed to be dropping down into the mid to upper 80's. Just for the first few days get plenty of fluids, don't hang out in the sun too long prior to race time and hold off on beating your personal best in the drinking beer from a funnel contest, until next weekend.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/15/19 at 11:05 AM.

7/15/19, 3:19 PM   #9
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I am not diabetic, but I take blood pressure medications that make me sensitive to the sun, so extreme heat is a problem for me.
The biggest problem is parking. At several of the tracks, the handicapped parking is taken up by the sanctioning body or vendors. Then there are the motor homes that occupy six (at least) parking spaces by opening up their awnings and whatever. Wouldn't be so bad if they parked in a designated area as they do at TSS. At Bloomington, the motor homes often occupy the nearest parking spaces to the track.
Now I'm not intending to start a feud with the RVers, but as a regular patron of many of the venues that hold these races, I would like to be able to park within a reasonable distance to the grandstands. This has really become an issue this year as I am experiencing back problems that have severely limited my mobility.
I haven't checked the weather for next week, but if it is as Jerry Shaw says that will be a plus, as I am only planning to do the back half.
I hope that every race has a three-wide finish for the win and everyone has a good time, regardless of what you drive.
I just checked Accuweather for next week and it does look good!
Last edited by ronmil; 7/15/19 at 3:24 PM.

7/15/19, 4:01 PM   #10
Non wing lover

Yep I know

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana Sprint Heat