IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Traveling Non-Wing 1000cc Mini Sprints
5/15/10, 10:45 PM   #11
fridaynightracer

Just wondering cause if you had 3 1000cc racing series your car counts might drop. Also I was just wondering what tracks they would run.
Posted via Mobile Device

5/15/10, 11:17 PM   #12
Bradleyracing86

If the MMSA did it... It would be different, but would the big tracks still want us..? Bloomington, Brownstown.... We look similar to small wing sprinters, promoters may not want that...
Posted via Mobile Device

5/15/10, 11:18 PM   #13
Re: Traveling Non-Wing 1000cc Mini Sprints
hpm22h

I think a series that could run half with a wing and half without would be a good mix. You would get to see who could drive without the wing, and those who could set the car up with a wing. Just my opinion...I'll race with or without one.

5/15/10, 11:32 PM   #14
DonMoore10

What does a mini sprint use for a motor and how much? I'd be interested to know a little about the various costs that you have for a mini sprint.

Don Moore

5/15/10, 11:52 PM   #15
oldfatcat

One of my midgets I bought complete with a sb2 gearte and all of the spares for $7,000 dollars. I sold the extra tank and bladder and spare frame and some of the other parts. To make a long story short , I ended up with $5800 in the complete running car. I ran a season on it and then put $ 1000 in redoing the engine , its better than ever. My other car has a little more money in it, I made some bad choices .I bought an almost new qcs rear end for $ 550 . There are many good buys out there. I have been watching the adds on mini sprints and trying to figure out how to get one my wife. I like racing togather and it sure helps car count. It is hard to travel but maybe we can get some reginal races then some bigger races . Did I mention that I am once again having fun racing.

5/16/10, 12:16 AM   #16
slide22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
What does a mini sprint use for a motor and how much? I'd be interested to know a little about the various costs that you have for a mini sprint.

Don Moore
Generally they are out of a 1000cc bike. Yamaha YZF-R1, Suzuki GSXR1000, or Kawasaki ZX-1. Some people run Honda's, but the engines haven't been competitive for the last 7-8 years. A stock engine with no modifications make around 180 Hp at the crank. Can find engines out of wrecked bikes for as little as $500-$1000, we had one last season we bought for under $1000 and ran for an entire season with the AMSA. Many convert the injection to methanol and an after-market airbox which which runs around $2000. Provides a small performance increase and is alot safer.

Hope this helped.

5/16/10, 12:46 AM   #17
Bradleyracing86

Well said slide , competitive motors below 2k.... Alky helps
some but conversions get $ ....
Posted via Mobile Device

5/16/10, 5:36 AM   #18
1021gpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
4k you can win a feature with a mini. What does it cost to run a tq?
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

There again I'm not knocking tqs, but they have alot more moving parts, rearends, drive shafts, where does one find a motor, do they still make them. They make 1000s every day, you can run them stock, after market exhaust and that's it. No dry sumps, no push trucks,... I dunno just seemsike minis are cheaper.
Posted via Mobile Device
where can i get a feature winning $4000 mini sprint at? i have a buddy who has about 3 times that much in his and runs with the mmsa and has never run better than about 5th maybe i need to buy him of of those

5/16/10, 7:25 AM   #19
02 racing

I support a non-wing mini sprint racing series and I have tried to get others to support it for three years. There is not enough cars out there to support two winged series in Indiana. The 600 car count at Linton is down to one after Nick lost his motor Friday night. I would put a 1000 in our ERC for Nick and race non-wing if others would join in. This is Indiana the home of non-wing midgets and 410's we need a driver development series (without wings) for these young drivers.
Last edited by 02 racing; 5/16/10 at 9:32 AM.

1 member likes this post: sborden93
5/16/10, 10:53 AM   #20
Bradleyracing86

Naw it could be done for 4k. You'd have to do alot of stuff yourself, but you will find that 90% of the chassis's are very similiar. Technology hasn't changed to much. Recently a Bailey or Erc roller was for sale on IOW, I think Roberts had it and it sold for 2500 I think, Ryan I remember you buying a motor for under 1k on eBay and running up front last year... That style car with a good stock motor could win with Amsa, Mmsa, or even run competitive with midgets.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Traveling Non-Wing 1000cc Mini Sprints