IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Big day for Roger Penske (observe the rules of the site...)
10/24/19, 10:46 PM   #1
Big day for Roger Penske (observe the rules of the site...)
jdull99

https://www.jayski.com/2019/10/24/ro...-of-freedom-2/
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

10/25/19, 3:46 AM   #2
flagboy55

Why the reminder about site rules?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
10/25/19, 4:05 AM   #3
Re: Big day for Roger Penske (observe the rules of the site.
jdull99

I'm fairly certain political VIEWS are not encouraged on this site, & I didn't want a simple story (NSSN & RACER both also have nice articles too) about an achievement for the Captain, causing any offense or stirring anything up...hope just sharing the story isn't a problem...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 10/25/19 at 9:54 AM.

10/25/19, 10:37 AM   #4
Re: Big day for Roger Penske (observe the rules of the site.
kb78

Wow, 65,000 "team members". What area's of business does Roger's empire cover? Does anyone know?

10/25/19, 10:59 AM   #5
badcoupe

I know he has an expansive chain of auto dealerships across the country the truck rental business as race teams. I’m sure there’s more, at one tim he was said to be i talks to buy a auto brand that’s not defunct so that certainly didn’t come to fruition

2 members like this post: jdull99, tirespinner
10/25/19, 11:22 AM   #6
TQ29m

Jmho, but I thought it was funny as hell when the captain had those legal engine's built and waxed their butt's, didn't take long to get that re done.
Also on the engine side I see where Indian is having a new engine built by an outside company to go in their new big bike, they must be pretty fluid to be able to do that.

10/25/19, 11:24 AM   #7
HDbill

Roger Penske has ALWAYS been a class act. I was in the shop that he rented in Newtown Square, Pa. in the '60's. It was spotless. I seriously doubt that anyone has ever seen him drunk. Or do anything that could damage the family name. Virtually everything that he has done has been first class or nothing. He developed many businesses over the years, that have provided employment opportunities and careers. 65,000 is probably a conservative estimate. Everybody makes mistakes. The captain made things happen with the right moves, and lazer focus on success 99.9% of the time. People that worked or drove for him and were paying any attention made nice lives for themselves. I LOVE open wheel dirt cars. I suspect that he saw far more opportunity on pavement because it was "cleaner". But have no doubt Mr. Penske is a serious racer and EARNED EVERYTHING that he won. Good for him.

7 members like this post: jdull99, jonboat15, mc/rider, nathans1012, PIT CART, rick42, tirespinner
10/25/19, 4:52 PM   #8
chrismattlin

Here's a really cool article on The Captain that I stumbled across a few weeks ago. From the Sports Illustrated vault (1963); "What Makes Roger Race".
https://www.si.com/vault/1963/03/25/...es-roger-race/

10/25/19, 6:00 PM   #9
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
I know he has an expansive chain of auto dealerships across the country the truck rental business as race teams. I’m sure there’s more, at one tim he was said to be i talks to buy a auto brand that’s not defunct so that certainly didn’t come to fruition
I believe he also owns Detroit Diesel (Diesel engines) a well. It used to employ several thousand people.

10/25/19, 8:45 PM   #10
Speedwrench

He also owns a chunk of Ilmor - the nice people who bring you the Chevy Indy engines and whose subsidiary is responsible for the telemetry needs of the Chevy and Honda engines.

I think an Ilmor subsidiary may also take care of most of the chassis telemetry in Indy Car.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Big day for Roger Penske (observe the rules of the site...)