IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Talk about half buried tires!
3/28/20, 12:19 PM   #1
Talk about half buried tires!
TQ29m

As it was back in th good old days, seems like every track was configured that way, including one at North Vernon that we ran go karts on, not the one at the fairgrounds, this one was on private property before you got to North Vernon, not a bad track, I think all the Kinser's cut their teeth there, as well as myself, they even had a paved track at the drive in theater there, I'll tell you more about that later, one Sunday at the dirt track, a guy got into those tires, and one of them was out too much, you can imagine what that looked like, man did he slap the ground, it was far from funny, but also hard not to laugh. Sorry about that, I'll go away. Have a good day

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
3/28/20, 10:39 PM   #2
Re: Talk about half buried tires!
copper14

I remember racing at putnamville one night and tony Elliott got into one of those earth mover tires on the inside of the track.tore the car up bad. I thought there must be a better way without making racing even more dangerous.cg

2 members like this post: dirtball, tirespinner
3/28/20, 10:40 PM   #3
Sprintcarfanatic

I have seen such things also.

3 members like this post: dirtball, SOROKACH35FAN, tirespinner
3/30/20, 12:12 PM   #4
Midget98

I've raced at places that had half buried tires, earth mover tires, empty barrels, barrels filled with water, traffic cones, dirt burms, armco barrier, and any number of other things to "define" the inside of the corners. What really used to piss me off were the places that wanted to black flag you or penalize you for running too low in the corners. Easy solution... If you don't want people trying to run so low, don't prep the track so that is the quickest way around it. If they would work on building a cushion or put more water on top, no one would want anything to do with that bottom groove.

2 members like this post: bigq11, Ken Bonnema
3/30/20, 12:35 PM   #5
TQ29m

Did you ever notice the flat track bikers, follow the white line, must be a built in no-no. I was it the old Nashville oval, for my one and only Nascar related race several years back, and they had Uke tires, we used to call them, with the light poles buried in the middle, that'll snap your chin strap!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Talk about half buried tires!