IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > John Andretti passes.
1/30/20, 4:19 PM   #1
John Andretti passes.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

From Andretti Autosport FB.

It with the heaviest of hearts we share that John Andretti has today lost his battle with cancer. John was a loving husband and father, a devoted son and a trusted cousin. He was a philanthropist, an advocate for the sport, a dedicated teammate, a driven competitor and most importantly a dear friend.

Through Race4Riley, John spent decades dedicating his time and fundraising attention to Riley Hospital for Children. When first diagnosed with colon cancer in 2017, John vowed to fight back and use his voice to help spread the word of prevention and early detection. He fought hard and stole back days the disease vowed to take away. He helped countless others undergo proper screening, and in doing so, saved lives.

We will forever carry with us John’s genuine spirit of helping others first and himself second. Our prayers today are with Nancy, Jarett, Olivia and Amelia, with our entire family, and with fans worldwide. We urge all our followers to, please, #CheckIt4Andretti.

Prayers to his family and friends. He was always nice to be around in my experience.
Chuck

1/30/20, 4:30 PM   #2
Re: John Andretti passes.
Dougherty20

Godspeed John. Thoughts are with the Andretti family. I remember when John was driving Rollie Helmling's midget in the mid to late 80's.

Always thought John was an under-rated Indy car driver.

Most important, a class act.
Last edited by Dougherty20; 1/30/20 at 8:46 PM.

1/30/20, 4:53 PM   #3
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Prayers to his son Jarett and the entire Andretti Family.

6 members like this post: dshort36, flagboy55, LUCKYONE, rapid robert, ronmil, tirespinner
1/30/20, 4:58 PM   #4
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

Very sad. John was a very nice gentleman and will be sorely missed. Our condolences go out to his wife, children and the extended Andretti family in their time of sorrow. John fought a courageous battle against the cancer and was an inspiration to all who came into contact with him. God Speed John.

Bruce and Pat Eckel

1/30/20, 5:01 PM   #5
PIT CART

Rest In Peace John, I will miss seeing you in the pits🏁

4 members like this post: flagboy55, ronmil, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
1/30/20, 5:15 PM   #6
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 22

Please keep Johns spirit alive by getting screened for colon cancer. Having one done myself, I can tell you it’s a simple procedure to go through. One night of being uncomfortable before procedure is much better then finding out to late. If not for you do it for your loved ones. RIP John and thoughts to Jarrett and the entire family.

1/30/20, 6:01 PM   #7
dshort36

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
1/30/20, 7:48 PM   #8
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

John was an amazing guy. In addition to all his family and racing accomplishments, he dedicated 23 years of his life to he and Dave Wilson's Race For Riley. John personally attended every event, helping raise over $4.5 million dollars for Riley Hospital for Children. RIP John.....

1/30/20, 8:23 PM   #9
openwheelfan1

John Andretti was a darned good racer, but more importantly, he was an even better person. May he Race In Peace!

1/31/20, 12:05 AM   #10
Gregg

He won in NASCAR and Indy Cars but I think I've seen him in his glory carrying a 5 gallon bucket of water to the #18 hauler, getting ready to prep Jarrett's ride for the evening at the 'burg. I am going to miss those days.

My condolences to Nancy, Jarrett and the Andretti family and friends.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > John Andretti passes.