IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Thunder @IMS
11/11/18, 5:01 PM   #1
Hoosier Thunder @IMS
interpreter66

Wouldn’t it be nice if this exhibit would run through the month of May that way everybody that comes to the 500 and the people who come for other racing during that time frame can see this great exhibit !

11/12/18, 3:53 PM   #2
Re: Hoosier Thunder @IMS
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpreter66 View Post
Wouldn’t it be nice if this exhibit would run through the month of May that way everybody that comes to the 500 and the people who come for other racing during that time frame can see this great exhibit !
I went today and it was even better than I expected. I would imagine they need the space in May for Indy 500. I understand that. Probably 40 cars and really neat displays. Thanks to IMS

11/12/18, 4:48 PM   #3
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

I'm with you guys.....the Hoosier Thunder display is award winning! Brings great attention to the short track legends. For anyone that is going give yourself about two hours to really enjoy it. Very cool to see the differences up close between the open wheel cars and series. Read the banners that have great facts about the drivers and cars. And yes it would be great if that exhibit was still there in May. Thanks IMS Museum!

11/12/18, 6:32 PM   #4
chathamracefan

How long is it slated to run for?

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
11/12/18, 6:51 PM   #5
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

We can’t wait to see it!

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Dirtfan, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge
11/12/18, 7:02 PM   #6
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Chatham,

Here is the news release about the exhibit. Looks like it will be on display till April 21st, 2019. You and everyone will really enjoy it.

IMS MUSEUM EXHIBIT ‘HOOSIER THUNDER: INDIANA’S SHORT TRACK HERITAGE’ OPENS NOV. 8

From IMS

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum is set to celebrate Indiana grassroots racing at, ironically, the world’s largest sports seating facility. “Hoosier Thunder: Indiana’s Short Track Heritage” is the IMS Museum’s newest exhibit and will open Thursday, Nov. 8.

Hoosier Thunder tells the story of the many drivers and families who have made short-track racing a way of life, proudly carrying surnames such as Carter, Darland, Elliott, Kenyon and Kinser. It also honors the drivers who have raced in Indiana on their way to superstardom, such as Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon and Ryan Newman.

The famed Speedway draws the most global attention among Indiana’s racing venues, but many of America’s top aspiring drivers have known for decades there was one place to go to hone their skills and earn a winning reputation: the dirt and pavement short-track “bull rings” scattered across the Hoosier State.

“If you’re racing on short tracks in Indiana, it means you’re racing against the best of the best, as far as new and veteran talent,” said Stewart, a three-time NASCAR Cup Series champion, 1996-97 IndyCar Series champion and one of the most decorated short-track racing stars in history. “I learned more racing in 30-lap features on dirt and paved ovals than I did the rest of my career. It’s where I learned how to set up handling, take care of my equipment, and just learned what it took to win.

“I’m as excited as anyone to see the history and stories that the IMS Museum will have on display at Hoosier Thunder.”

The stories will be told through displays of numerous modern and vintage USAC (United States Auto Club) Midget, Sprint Car and Silver Crown race cars, plus memorabilia on loan directly from drivers and team owners, along with incredibly rare items in the IMS Museum collection.

Hoosier Thunder, which is made possible by exhibit sponsors Driven2SaveLives, Toyota and Hoosier Racing Tire, will remain open until April 21, 2019.

The IMS Museum is open from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (ET) March through October, and from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. daily from November through February. For more information, please visit www.indyracingmuseum.org or call (317) 492-6784 or find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hoosier Thunder @IMS