IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC pavement sprint cars
9/14/10, 8:51 PM   #1
USAC pavement sprint cars
sc96

I herd from a very reliable well 2 very reliable sources that Kevin Miller was putting the axe to all pavement sprint car racing next year.

9/14/10, 9:05 PM   #2
Re: USAC pavement sprint cars
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

With the small car counts the past few years, it wouldn't surprise me one bit. My question would be "what will USAC replace this series with"? Focus cars are about done and Silver Crown is on life support. The Gold Crown cars are drawing only dust. What's next???????????????

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

3 members like this post: IndyBound, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan
9/14/10, 9:17 PM   #3
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

back to the 80s again no mo pavement.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/14/10, 9:29 PM   #4
sc96

It is true the Silver crown cars are on life support and they are only going to get worse. But I would have never thought that the pavement sprints would die off first. The wing pavement stuff is going pretty strong from what I have herd though.

9/14/10, 9:35 PM   #5
Bad Dad 54

Probably the cost, need dirt chassis & pavement chassis to be competitive. But then look at what Spartan Speedway did w/ their first season of NW Sprints. Used a hard RR tire to keep cost down for competitors. Just an idea.

9/14/10, 10:25 PM   #6
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

just an idea maybe mandate that everybody uses the new chevy ls motor that ron shaver is building and find cheaper tires that will last longer and up the weight min to 1600 lbs would cut down on a lot of the high end light weight parts.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/15/10, 7:45 AM   #7
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

I’d always pick a dirt race over a pavement race, but I’d sure hate to see pavement go away. There are some good pavement tracks that I enjoy going to. I can understand why though with the car counts.

Here’s what I don’t understand… What have they done to try and help the car count? Obviously cost is what keeps the cars away. It just doesn’t seem to me that they have tried any new rules to help costs. If you tried something different and it didn’t work, then pull the plug. I don’t know the rule book in and out, but it doesn’t seem to me that anything new or bold has been tried. Cutting costs doesn’t mean 50 cars are going to all the sudden appear, but there is some good equipment out there that sits idle. About 3 or 4 years ago the counts were around 20-25, which is good for the pavement since there aren’t any local weekly tracks to pick up local cars. Dirt and pavement is always what has made USAC different, hate to see that go. Hope it doesn’t happen.

BTW – What happened to the Gold Crown talk? Haven’t heard a peep on that for a long time…

9/15/10, 9:24 AM   #8
Hubie

It's pretty simple..... you can't win enough money to justify the expense.

I love pavement racing just as much as dirt.

9/15/10, 9:47 AM   #9
The Old Coyote

Maybe now would be a good time for USAC to look at a rear engine pavement car that could be a support series for Indy Cars as they pull away from the 1 1/2 mile cookie cutter NASCAR tracks and add one mile ovals like Milwaukee, Loudon and Iowa. Phoenix would be nice to see again to. Even Martinsville, Richmond and North Wilkesbourough. As a fan, I love Indy Cars as well as USAC Sprints on dirt. USAC could call the Pavement Cars Silver Crown and use the series as a stepping stone for Sprint Car and Midget drivers to get into Indy Cars. Indy Car seems to be moving in the right direction, but it desperately needs grassroot American drivers. Like Robin Miller says, can you imagine what the crowd at the Indy 500 would be like if names like Darland, Stanbough, Clussen, Whit, Sweet, Bacon et al were competing!

2 members like this post: IndyBound, jim goerge
9/15/10, 9:48 AM   #10
mac miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc96 View Post
I herd from a very reliable well 2 very reliable sources that Kevin Miller was putting the axe to all pavement sprint car racing next year.

HA! What do you expect??? You people killed usac pavement racing a few years ago with those stupid "super silver crown cars".
You guys remind me of those brothers, who murdered their parents and then whined, in court, that the reason their lives were so bad is because they had no parents.
The only thing usac has had going for it in the last 20 years was Thursday Night Thunder(on pavement, by the way). How they pissed that away, I don't know.....

3 members like this post: Hubie, IndyBound, old timer 38
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC pavement sprint cars