IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 1000cc Mini Sprint @ 35
5/2/11, 2:13 AM   #1
1000cc Mini Sprint @ 35
35PR

What could we expect for car count at 35 Raceway Park frankfort, Ohio if 1000 mini sprints were added to the weekly schedule beginning this Sat May7th with $300 to win 30to start, must run mufflers with 85 dba @100 feet, please respond by this site or e mail us us35race@roadrunner.com or call 740-998-2278 thanks Tony
Last edited by 35PR; 5/2/11 at 2:16 AM. Reason: mufflers

5/2/11, 9:46 AM   #2
Re: 1000cc Mini Sprint @ 35
racerjim2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35PR View Post
What could we expect for car count at 35 Raceway Park frankfort, Ohio if 1000 mini sprints were added to the weekly schedule beginning this Sat May7th with $300 to win 30to start, must run mufflers with 85 dba @100 feet, please respond by this site or e mail us us35race@roadrunner.com or call 740-998-2278 thanks Tony
Tony, I say do whatever it takes to build your mini sprint class back up. You have one of the best tracks in Ohio but please save the mini sprints.

1 member likes this post: 35PR
5/2/11, 10:23 AM   #3
racer22r

We might come down but the problem is the muffler rule for one and number 2 is the water truck races you have all night long. I would like to see you run non wing instead of wingged. We have four cars that would come and race just because of fuel prices being so high right now but were not gonna be there every weekend because we run with amsa. Maybe you should get ahold jerry tague and schedule amsa races then you would have car count for the 1000 mini sprints but then again people dont want to have to go buy one of those mufflers so who really knows. The biggest problem is you have burnt so many bridges with the guys that used to come there everyweek and support you that now we find it hard to come back. What kind of fees will we have to pay to race down there? I remeber we came there for two non wing races and had to buy a compettetion license when that was the only two times we were gonna be there.

5/2/11, 11:12 AM   #4
KYRON

i have 5 mufflers with elbows ready for mini sprints, were used the few times we raced there.
ron ambrose

5/2/11, 12:10 PM   #5
DAD

It's just a sign of the times. Because of gas prices and inflation that washington say's does not exist yet money for play is drying up. It would cost us $250.00 to get to the races at 35 and back. We need to look at ways to make mini sprints more affordable. Salem has switched to 1000cc this year also throwing the 600's out of a place to race. There are other tracks out there trying to siphon off the 1000 cc cars from both amsa and mmsa. I would say for the next 2 years or so we will try to stay closer to home and look for someone to help share costs with going to the races.
Indiana and ohio have always been the hot bed of 600 cc racing. Salem had about 30 to 40 cars a night 10 years ago and old 35 could do about the same and linton could get 20 or so. Most of these cars are still out there sitting with 600 motor still in them. Back in those day's the weight was 725lbs car and driver. This was great if you had a 95 lb driver, but sucked for the 200 lb man trying to race. The weight was gradually raised to what it is today to help the bigger person, and has helped a bunch.
A light 725 lb 600 can give a 1000 cc weighing 950 lbs a real run for the money on the smaller tracks. We use to run with the 1200 back in the day.
I can still remember aj running 5th in a feature at bloomington with a stock honda f2 aganist a bunch of amsa 1200 fire breathing orient express hand granades. The next time we tried to run with them was 16th street (a real bull ring) and they said we coundn't because we would be in their way, go figure. Anyhow what im trying to say is it's mostly all about weight. Drop the 600cc weight back to 725 lbs and raise the 1000 cc weight to 1000 lbs and you would probably see some kid winning a few races with a little old 600 cc car that is as old as old as they are. When the kid grows up all they have to do is get a bigger motor and keep on racing i have 2 old 600cc cars in my barn that would love to be out racing, but if i don't have a chance of winning i'll just keep on looking at them, (they don't eat nothing). If the rules changed i bet more of these old cars would get out of the barns and car counts would go up. We might also set a weight for 750 cc motor's at about 775 lbs and find one or two other cars out there.
We are the next step up from quarter midgets and when a kid makes heavy dad is looking for for other ways to start that race car. That is one of the reason i'm looking at back surgery now. A few laps around the track with a flooded "aa" could kill you. If your next move is to midgets or sprints why would you want to move to a 600 cc go kart and then start over again with set up etc. With this bad economy we could grow mini sprints. We are about the best bang for the buck out there we just have to promote it and get the word out.

We can do it with weight

1 member likes this post: Jrp4554
5/2/11, 1:57 PM   #6
slide22

Like someone else said, get rid of the muffler and transponder you may have something. But that will never happen so don't run 1000s and break up our car counts even more .
Posted using Mobile Device

5/2/11, 3:11 PM   #7
racechevy

Should it be winged or non winged? Lets give them your input
Posted via Mobile Device

5/2/11, 3:14 PM   #8
Phylo82

This is really starting to get crazy. It's beginning to remind me of quarter midget racing and why we got out of it.......too many organizations with too many inconsistent rules trying to draw from the same area.

The USAC / QMA battle has just about destroyed quarter midget car counts at various clubs in Indiana and Ohio. Mini sprints are headed in the same direction.

On May 14 the MMSA is at Paragon, the AMSA is at KC Raceway and there are unsanctioned races scheduled at Twin Cities and Waynefield. Let's face it, there are not enough cars to support races at 4 different tracks.

Typically we would head to KC with the AMSA, but considering gas prices I might just head to Twin Cities and let my kid turn laps with the other three 1000cc cars they'll probably have there that evening.

Then again, maybe it will never stop raining and I can just sit in the garage, drink a beer and look at the car sitting up on stands all nice and clean.
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt
Last edited by Phylo82; 5/2/11 at 3:17 PM.

5/2/11, 3:18 PM   #9
Jrp4554

non wing. I'd like to see more non wing. Tommy tip overs are expensive.

5/2/11, 3:57 PM   #10
DAD

Racing with out wings is neat but is sure not cheeper. If you do a real flip w/o your wing the cost of repair will exceed the cost of the wing. The wing slows down the flip and absorbs a lot of the energy in that first flip. Chrome moly makes a real good spring and you tend to get a lot more energy out of each bounce with the ground. Then you know what they are saying when they say "Rang his Bell"

1 member likes this post: 35PR
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 1000cc Mini Sprint @ 35