IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #11 10/7/14 5:50 PM
I bet you'll be surprised its happening a lot less than you think, Same thing with Traction control. Most orgs have Durometers and most test come back negative.

The most DQ's I've seen over tires is simply having a illegal compound on to begin with or refusing or loading up before testing is done.

Charles Nungester
RichH (Offline)
  #12 10/7/14 7:48 PM
Common in karting

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and bearing a cross"
Scooter (Offline)
  #13 10/7/14 8:56 PM
Karting could do without it. But it's tough to police at that level....for some reason.....jmo
Flatrightrear (Offline)
  #14 10/7/14 11:08 PM
"It's tough to police at that level" seems to be the excuse at about every level.
Scooter (Offline)
  #15 10/8/14 7:03 AM
The chemicals being used are not safe to be playing with. It should be banned at all levels...but...,
2 Likes: bn kleen, Joey Woods
DAD (Offline)
  #16 10/9/14 1:19 PM
Originally Posted by dshort36:
yea the karters are so much smarter than the sprint and late model guys .. lol
d

I remember years ago they had a company selling Karters a long ball brush hone that they could use on their tail pipes to hone them out and make them go faster.

If you got "Go Faster" tonic Karters are the people to sell it to. If Karters ever figure out that the guys winning all the time could win in anything they sat down in the "Snake Oil" stock would take a drastic drop in price.

Honest Dad himself
mayor31 (Offline)
  #17 10/9/14 6:28 PM
It's out there more then people know. The people that make the Prep just have to keep the chemical balance with in what the Tire base line is, Just like traction control it is out there or these companies wouldn't still be in business. JMO
bn kleen (Offline)
  #18 10/9/14 7:16 PM
The Karters don't even hide prep. Some of the biggest sponsors in karting are the prep makers. I'm sure traction control and prep is out there but not as rampent as people think. A good driver will win in any good car.
DAD (Offline)
  #19 10/9/14 7:52 PM
Originally Posted by bn kleen:
The Karters don't even hide prep. Some of the biggest sponsors in karting are the prep makers. I'm sure traction control and prep is out there but not as rampent as people think. A good driver will win in any good car.
Bn

As I was saying go kart racers will buy into anything. How much prep does it take to hook up a single cylinder 5 Horsepower Motor. The Snake Oil people are big Kart supporters? Why would that be? How much would it take to hook up an 800Hp Sprint car. Do Laws of physics and chemistry also apply>when looking for more traction a racer will usually look for a softer compound tire, his next decision if it is a sprint car with that softer compound will I be able to finis the race, the same applys to sipeing, grooving or for that matter tire traction aid you can't have both traction and long life no matter what they tell you. Sprint cars can rip the tread off of a tire.

They would probably be pushing traction control on Karts but every time the TC Killed a cylinder to stop wheel spin the poor guy would have to get out and restart his race car. There are adds supporting traction control and even Demos showing the advantage of the things. Those are adds.

Find a good driver and car combination get them to push your product, and you will sell a lot of people, whether it be chassis, sway bars, shocks, tire prep or engine work.

Traction control is secret so all they have to do is imply that so and so is using it, maybe start a rumor. I remember in the old days they would run a big article in a racing magazine telling all about the newest thing out for the racer. At the end of the article it would say for more info about this product contact the manufacture at PO box CT1243 Someplace USA. Any Idea what CT stood for? Do you really think that all of these article are objective. Let the buyer beware.

The best example of traction control being used was a picture that showed a Formula I car speeding out of the pits. Instead of big long streeks of black rubber and smoke on the pavement it came out as 6 inches of black followed by a foot of pavement then another 6 inches of black rubber and another foot of pavement on and on behind the race car. That was traction control>

Honest Dad himself
c47 (Offline)
  #20 10/9/14 10:47 PM
karting gave up trying because every time they found a way to police it, someone found another way to beat it. there have been a few serious incidents with fire and people getting sick from the preps so now they basically tell you no prepping in the trailers. there are preps for
everything....harder, softer, less bite, more bite, ect, ect, ect. most times you cant hide the smell and thats usually the tip off.....wintergreen....creosote....thats very very hard to hide but is at the top of the list for preps.
i have heard of guys getting busted for using simple green to wash tires.
and yes.....imo....karters were the first to openly use preps as a tuning device.
2 Likes: gearguy, Joey Woods