IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona crowd so small today
2/19/18, 4:38 PM   #51
Re: Daytona crowd so small today
Backitin

I'd imagine tire inner liners arnt used on passenger cars due to the fact they are totally not needed. Most passenger cars drive well under 200 mph and the passenger car tires are built much heavier also. I could be wrong but arnt the liners used to reduce the sudden air lose in a tire in a blow out situation ?

2/19/18, 4:58 PM   #52
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
I'd imagine tire inner liners arnt used on passenger cars due to the fact they are totally not needed. Most passenger cars drive well under 200 mph and the passenger car tires are built much heavier also. I could be wrong but arnt the liners used to reduce the sudden air lose in a tire in a blow out situation ?
How many roadway deaths were caused by Firestone? No reason to not have them. They don't have to be tough, just enough to keep the car off the ground and get to a stop. Having nothing more than meeting that couldn't add too much cost.

2/19/18, 5:00 PM   #53
brsteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
liners used to reduce the sudden air lose in a tire in a blow out situation ?
Nothing to do with reducing air lose, but to keep the car from going straight to the rim giving the driver some stability to try to control the vehicle.

2/19/18, 5:04 PM   #54
brsteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
How many roadway deaths were caused by Firestone? No reason to not have them. They don't have to be tough, just enough to keep the car off the ground and get to a stop. Having nothing more than meeting that couldn't add too much cost.
I'm definitely thinking more SUV than Prius; as that is where the issue was and is to a larger extent. Large side wall, heavy and top heavy vehicle.

Still may give more control to a car with a narrow side wall since you'll have a bigger contact patch that just the rim, but not as big a deal as truck or SUV.

2/19/18, 5:24 PM   #55
Gregg

I watched only the last 10 laps of the race. In that time I saw 2 'big ones' and DW cackling like a hyena after one of them. I was glad Dillon won rather than Hamlin. Dillon visited Jimmy McEleath during a NASCAR swing through Texas a few years back. They made each other's day. I will never forget that. But not long after the checker fell I turned it off. Dillon did bump Almirola but with these restrictor plate races, had Dillon, or anyone else lifted off the throttle they'd be shuffled back 20 positions before you can say boogityboogityboogity, hence the big one.

I've been a race fan for over 50 years. It hurts to see one sprint car junked as a result of a flip. To see more than a couple dozen cars wadded up and I'm headed for the exit. If I have nothing on the agenda I will tune in on the Atlanta race, or the first real race of the NASCAR cup season.
Last edited by Gregg; 2/19/18 at 5:32 PM.

5 members like this post: dirt330, jeffc5227, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, turn4
2/19/18, 5:29 PM   #56
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
Not really. Several truths to what you're finally dealing with:
Truths? According to what particular expert?

Quote:
1. That nearly 20 year war some of you on here fully supported has led to a series that is propped up by one big cash cow.
Dang it all! Had they only adhered to the Gospel in those hallowed White Papers Indy tickets would be half the price at this point! LOL!!

Quote:
2. To be quite honest, we've gotten off fairly lightly compared to other main events for top level sports.

A Kentucky Derby GA ticket is $70 pre sale and $80 at the gate. That's around $40 or so less than I pay to sit at the top of the turn 2 grandstand for one of the oldest and most prestigious auto races in the world....that's a freaking steal.

When you take their GA prices into account you can gather a bit what you'll be paying for grandstand. According to the Courier-Journal, you'll pay anywhere from $350 to $500 for the Oaks and Derby. That's $170-$250 per race day of Derby weekend. When you jump up to box seats that price jumps to $2,500 and above.

I just looked on the NCAA Mens Basketball Tournament ticket exchange. Want a championship game ticket? Better have at least a $175 in your wallet.
I am not the least interested nor am I the slightest concerned with ticket prices of any other event but the ones I intend to attend. All those statistics merely prove people interested in other "sports" are willing to be taken advantage of, as well.

Quote:
We all hate having to pay higher prices, but at the same time a business can't keep charging what it always has for many various reasons. The truth of the matter is the 500 for the most part is a fairly generous deal.
Raising ticket prices 45% in just over 12 months may be a generous deal in your little world, but it's gouging for no other reason but that they can in ours.

Quote:
Something I'll add on race weekend costs, and I'm not posting this to be a jerk, but hopefully people will start thinking. There are 2 common themes I've long observed among the gripes, and unwillingness to accept reality and make the necessary changes to continue enjoying said event and poor prior planning.
Gripes? Reality? Poor prior planning? LOL!

There are two common themes in your posts. One is it's clearly apparent that you are a disgruntled former CART employee and two, it's becoming apparent that you've boned up on just enough marketing theories as to readily tell other folks how they should just keep ponying up more in discretionary funds to attend elective attractions and shut up and be happy about it or quit attending! That whole concept is part of every marketing course available in every college marketing department in the world.

Quote:
While I fully respect the desire to sit in a certain place due to a long line of family members holding a certain seating area, at the same time if I really sit down and think about it, do I really need the seat if I'm paying that much? Would I love to sit in E stand and those decks above the turns? Absolutely. Am I going to pay those prices. Hell no and I'm certainly not going to allow that to keep from going, I'll find a cheaper option.

Does any ticket you purchase mandate that you camp at the track or stay at hotel five minutes down the road? Nope. What's wrong with finding a hotel or camp site and hour out? I've done that on many occasion and my wallet thanked me for it.

Sometimes the prices to these things are us making it higher than it need be.
The long line of family members passing down seats in a "certain seating area" you speak of in our instance doesn't exist. My Old Man, if he were still here, would literally laugh in my face and tell me how I've got more money than sense, and he'd be totally serious, and he was a huge racing enthusiast. LOL!

We happily, patiently and faithfully fulfilled our ticket obligation guidelines both monetary and procedural to the letter and we did all that without reservation or malice, that is until the huge short term increases. No one is forcing us to continue. Luckily, we're in position to pay the additional 45% Mr. Boles and his staff enacted upon us. Percentage-wise the huge increases were laid on the most desirable seats and that was positively done for obvious reasons. It took us 32 years to get our present seating location and we, along with most other folks, will grudgingly knuckle under and pay it. You go tacking a 45% short term increase onto a seat that isn't all that great to begin with and most folks will say to hell with it and watch it on television.

As I said, fortunately we have the monetary ability to cough up the money to attend, even over the long haul and probably will attend as long as we are physically able, and my wife and I are relatively young at this point. On the up side, every May we position our camper for 4 nights at the home of some good friends just 3 blocks from The Speedway and it costs us a fraction of what The Speedway gets for camping and we can set in my seats and eat our own food and drink a few of our own beers. That is a couple of the monetary aspects of the whole experience that we're grateful for.

What it all ultimately boils down to for us is whether the price has yet exceeded the total entertainment value. Obviously it hasn't..............yet. However, it did at Daytona. But once in a while a little venting is necessary.
Last edited by ISF; 2/19/18 at 5:35 PM.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, Pat O'Connor Fan
2/20/18, 12:09 AM   #57
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Did NASCAR actually ban Confederate flags, or suggest that people don't bring them?
If fans give up a sport they like for that reason, they must not like it that much.... screw 'em
But I don't think thats the reason for declining attendance anyway
The flag deal was just one more thing, one last turning of the back on the Gen X fan base and older. It was just another facet to their move to be politically correct and further distance themselves from the fanbase they no longer wish to associate with. I'm a firm believer in dancing with the one that brought you, but Lil France had his eye on another date, a younger date. So he ditched his loyal dance partner to pursue the new, but new wasn't interested. So Lil France tried changing his image, ditched all his old friends and stopped returning family phone calls. He started running with the SJW crowd, glad handing the tree huggers, allowing smart phones and other electronic devices on the cars. Still little Miss Millennial wants nothing to do with Lil France, so he promotes reverse discrimination(Drive 4 Diversity), bring in pretty spokes models to drive cars at high speed and pose in lingerie on the hood of cars, but still no dice. Lil France's old date has had enough by now and left the dance, while Lil France scratches his head on what went wrong and why his old girlfriend won't take his calls anymore... If your not from the south you wouldn't understand the flag deal, you probably just watch the mainstream media or some a$$ backwards show about rednecks and think it's all about racism and hate, it isn't... Heritage means something to some of us down here below the Mason-Dixon, we know the "War of Northern Aggression" wasn't about slavery, even if Oprah says otherwise. Don't judge, people down here have just grown tired of being marginalized and ridiculed by the media and big corporations and so we chose not to be wh0re-mongers to an organization ashamed to associate with us in the daylight. The divorce was one of infidelity, they left us, not the other way around.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 2/20/18 at 12:13 AM.

4 members like this post: dirt330, PIT CART, racer-x, turn4
2/20/18, 5:02 AM   #58
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
The flag deal was just one more thing, one last turning of the back on the Gen X fan base and older. It was just another facet to their move to be politically correct and further distance themselves from the fanbase they no longer wish to associate with. I'm a firm believer in dancing with the one that brought you, but Lil France had his eye on another date, a younger date. So he ditched his loyal dance partner to pursue the new, but new wasn't interested. So Lil France tried changing his image, ditched all his old friends and stopped returning family phone calls. He started running with the SJW crowd, glad handing the tree huggers, allowing smart phones and other electronic devices on the cars. Still little Miss Millennial wants nothing to do with Lil France, so he promotes reverse discrimination(Drive 4 Diversity), bring in pretty spokes models to drive cars at high speed and pose in lingerie on the hood of cars, but still no dice. Lil France's old date has had enough by now and left the dance, while Lil France scratches his head on what went wrong and why his old girlfriend won't take his calls anymore... If your not from the south you wouldn't understand the flag deal, you probably just watch the mainstream media or some a$$ backwards show about rednecks and think it's all about racism and hate, it isn't... Heritage means something to some of us down here below the Mason-Dixon, we know the "War of Northern Aggression" wasn't about slavery, even if Oprah says otherwise. Don't judge, people down here have just grown tired of being marginalized and ridiculed by the media and big corporations and so we chose not to be wh0re-mongers to an organization ashamed to associate with us in the daylight. The divorce was one of infidelity, they left us, not the other way around.
Well I didn't want to get into ******** but I have to reply to that. My feelings on the Confederate flag didn't come from "mainstream media" & I have lived in the South. In fact my family moved from NYC to small town Virginia when I was 10, in 1960, Civil War centennial & full scale segregation, which we all thought was horrible & un-American. We had to stand up for Dixie during HS pep rallies, & the schools taught a very pro Confederate version of history, probably the same kind of thing you were taught. I was there for first school integration & it was a positive thing, South was forced to confront racism, which still hasn't happened in the North. As for Civil War... fought for "States Rights"? Right to do what?... own slaves, & the Confederate leaders were very open about that. The "States Rights" line only came up after they lost. If you really love the South (including ALL its people) you should hate the Confederacy because they brought untold suffering to their own people. Civil War killed more Americans than ALL out other wars combined until Gulf War 1. IMHO, Confederate leaders were traitors... Nazi symbols are ILLEGAL in Germany...
As for NASCAR's decline, plenty of people on this board gave their reasons for not liking NASCAR, & you're the only one who brought up Confederate flag issue. Its boring racing...
Can we get back to sprint cars now?

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, captrat, Danny Burton, Gregg
2/20/18, 5:08 AM   #59
revjimk

But Virginia was where I first discovered dirt track racing & I like the South, go to Louisiana at least twice a year. In some ways, less racist than the North nowadays
The South is cool but please give up on the Confederacy thing

2/20/18, 8:25 AM   #60
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
...Still little Miss Millennial wants nothing to do with Lil France, so he promotes reverse discrimination(Drive 4 Diversity), bring in pretty spokes models to drive cars at high speed and pose in lingerie on the hood of cars, but still no dice...
Sarah Fisher & Kyle Larson were both part of NASCAR’s Drive 4 Diversity program. Are you speaking about them? Or just Daniel Suarez and Darrell Wallace, Jr.?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona crowd so small today