IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Yet another reason to stop watching
8/23/08, 12:59 PM   #1
Yet another reason to stop watching
dirtywhiteboy

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0107/808230418

Quote:
Until 2011, the IRL plans to soften the sound of the normally aspirated engines with mufflers being tested. Those should be in place for next season, Barnhart said
That's part of the racing expierence. I don't understand what's so bad about an NA engine's exhaust sound.

8/23/08, 1:46 PM   #2
Re: Yet another reason to stop watching
aceace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0107/808230418

That's part of the racing expierence. I don't understand what's so bad about an NA engine's exhaust sound.
If you sit down close to the track (as I did) at Indy.... your ears will ring for a couple days after. If the cars were quieted down 20% I think it would be a better experience. I'm sure this is the case at every track and they have probably had some complaints. In NASCAR, at Bristol under green you can yell at the person sitting beside you and they probably won't hear what you are saying.

8/23/08, 1:47 PM   #3
Hubie

I like the tech side of turbo engines as for one thing they can be smaller

8/23/08, 2:44 PM   #4
LEADERS EDGE

After discussing this with my core group of astute observers and advisory staff, I have come to the conclusion that this is a much needed step forward.
(Just kidding)

I do agree that the sound is pretty loud in the lower seats. I don't see anything wrong with mufflers and turbos. Besides, this probably helps put Cosworth in as an engine supplier which I am sure makes Kelkoven(Sp?) happy.

I liked the sound of the turbo cars.

8/23/08, 2:48 PM   #5
Onlydirt

I wear earplugs like all fans should at such an event. However I dont at sprint car races... :kookoo

8/23/08, 2:52 PM   #6
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlydirt View Post
I wear earplugs like all fans should at such an event. :kookoo
Is that to prevent hearing the screams of your taser victims? :wink

8/23/08, 4:26 PM   #7
Midget82

Ty, you beat me to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlydirt View Post
I wear earplugs like all fans should at such an event. However I dont at sprint car races... :kookoo
A 50 cent pair of earplugs go a long way when you're around any kind of racing...

From going to the races with my dad for so long, I've come to the realization that I would like to enjoy having the ability to hear when I get older, lol :rolling

8/23/08, 4:26 PM   #8
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I have no objections to the turbos. I would like to see them go back to an equivalent formula that would allow non-turbo and turbo engines to compete together.
As for the noise level, I wear earplugs at all races and I found I enjoyed the races more when I started doing that many years ago. I can actually hear what the announcer is saying better with the earplugs in.

8/23/08, 5:23 PM   #9
Joe Kidd

What did you say?

8/23/08, 5:34 PM   #10
Fisher79

I was all for the IRL when it first came about, but 12 years later what in the hell have we gained? We're right back to sqaure one: A series that's a mix of ovals, road courses and parking lot races, turbocharged engines and drivers who wouldn't know USAC from UMass. I love the 500, but all TG has done is waste 12 years of our time to arrive back at the same point, and fall behind NAPCAR doing it.

The only positive I think came from this was the fact that Billy Boat, Jack Hewitt, Steve Kinser and J.J. Yeley got to run in the 500. But even that didn't last, obviously.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Yet another reason to stop watching