IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your thoughts on Bristol
4/22/21, 10:32 AM   #1
Your thoughts on Bristol
flagboy55

So tonight they have practice for the Outlaws in preparation for racing tomorrow and Saturday. I’ve seen more than once some concerns raised about some potential issues due to the high speed and stress it will be putting on the parts of the race cars. I personally don’t believe they would’ve covered Bristol just for short track dirt racing, but they did it for the NASCAR novelty race and included all the dirt trackers to try to cover what I’m sure is a great expense and to try to make a few bucks. There’s no way the racing will be any better than what we saw in Indiana the weekend before last. So if there are genuine concerns about safety, why do it? I’ve given my theory, what do you think?

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan
4/22/21, 11:56 AM   #2
Re: Your thoughts on Bristol
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

You know they've run there before and that time was a steeper banked version of what they have now.

Also they ran winged on pavement there, thats even faster and harder on equipment stress wise than dirt.

Not dissmissing your observation but this has been considerably slower than what it was last time.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, jim goerge, motorhead748, treecitytornado
4/22/21, 1:11 PM   #3
Offroadrace_814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Also they ran winged on pavement there, thats even faster and harder on equipment stress wise than dirt.
What year did they run on concrete/pavement? I thought they only ran on dirt there?

Thanks

4/22/21, 1:58 PM   #4
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroadrace_814 View Post
What year did they run on concrete/pavement? I thought they only ran on dirt there?

Thanks
2011 Brian gerster 12.782 lap 150.585. Mph

4/22/21, 3:40 PM   #5
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpreter66 View Post
2011 Brian gerster 12.782 lap 150.585. Mph
Did they actually race? The video I've seen they were just time trialing various cars.

The Late Models broke less this time because the chassis builders had a laundry list of components that needed changed before they went. I still know of one car that got walled when a RF lower control arm broke.

4/22/21, 6:15 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

3 members like this post: interpreter66, jim goerge, luckybuc97
4/22/21, 11:41 PM   #7
flagboy55

Sorry for the late response, I was dusting myself off from falling off the turnip truck. We watched all the races there so far. The unsanctioned Late Model races before the WOO came to town. They destroyed a bunch of stuff. I think the crate guy’s are still looking for debris on the track. Some hard crashes have been taken there since the faux dirt track has been installed. And now I’ve seen some concern about the sprint cars there. Practice was this evening, I saw where they were almost applauding how they slowed the track down. I’m going to give my opinion clearly. THAT SHOULD NEVER BE PART OF SPRINT CAR RACING! What’s next, restrictor plates? Yes Charles I’m very aware of racing there before, but if it’s any concern why do it. My point is if you want people to see good dirt track racing show them Haubstadt or Kokomo or the Rev. Pretty sure anything that happens at Bristol won’t come close to rivaling that.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, spicoli
4/23/21, 5:05 AM   #8
treecitytornado

Sammy, is the Grand Marshall, but sure wish he was in Kevin's car or some other nice piece of equipment!
Bottom line, I don't think Sammy, has to worry one bit about his 13.860, Track Record, if they don't get anymore moisture in it, than tonight. Blowing dust & slick in the 1st Hot Lap Session!
I'm truly glad, they are back, but hoping they work on the track hard tonight & Tomorrow, to see what 900 Plus Horsepower can really do!

As far as safety, Chuck's right! They raced there 20 Years ago, plus they ran the Indy Mile, Syracuse, & Springfield Mile up until the 90s. Last Year of Indy was the Inaugural U.S. Dirt Nationals in 1992, Sammy Won the Twin 20 Lappers, the last race at Syracuse was 1994, & last race at Springfield was 1998, when Sammy set the All-time Dirt Speed Record of over 150mph, average lap. 😁
Last edited by treecitytornado; 4/23/21 at 5:07 AM.

4/23/21, 8:01 AM   #9
Jonr

So, the concerns about speed are real. I was reading an article about some drivers pulling out of the race this week. All in the name of safety/costs. Almost everyone is running brand new stuff at the track this week. This is not the race to have a mechanical break down and put a driver into the wall. When the drivers themselves start make these decisions, the concerns are real. To the original post, is it a neat venue? Yes? However, there are a ton of other races/series that I would spend my money at before going to Bristol on dirt.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
4/23/21, 3:13 PM   #10
BrentTFunk

I think the racing will be average, like any big, high speed track. I believe the cost to teams will be huge. I think this will be the Outlaws biggest impact with main stream America this year. King's Royal, Knoxville Nationals are huge events, but this will have people paying attention that have never heard of them. The Outlaws rely on corporate America more than any other series. (that is reflected in money paid) This will be helpful to many teams bottom line, despite the high cost to compete. Hope its a safe weekend, with good weather.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your thoughts on Bristol