Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Shane Cockrum
1/16/16, 5:31 PM   #31
Re: Shane Cockrum
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
seems like the flintstone mobile did have a wing of sorts?
There's no wing on this car

4 members like this post: Can26, dirt330, jim goerge, RichH
1/16/16, 6:49 PM   #32
stoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
There's no wing on this car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmQoWQb4tx0
He might be talking about todd Gibsons FLINTSTONE-FLYER

1 member likes this post: Vukie
1/16/16, 7:56 PM   #33
mscs20

Alex Shanks is a 3 time MSCS champion from Marion IL. And he is there helping #7 Wade Siler. Alex also has spent some seat time in the Amati 66 (winged version).

3 members like this post: groove grabber, jim goerge, koolaid89
1/17/16, 12:22 AM   #34
Kinser11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK222 View Post
But when the guys ran under a different name they didn't run another car under there real name......
I believe, this occurred at a All Star Race in Ohio. I seemed to remember reading it in one of Dave Argabright books.

I personally seen it happen, at a USAC Show at Eldora, back in the Wide World Of Sports days.

1/17/16, 12:32 AM   #35
LocalYokel

Yeesh... Sorry I started this thread, I just wanted some clarification after I heard about it on the PA last night.
I don't persoanlly know Shane, but everything I've ever seen or heard about him is the defination of class and integrity.
And its not like the big teams dont do this anyway, just in a slightly different fashion. If a big team with backup cars doesn't like how theyve qualified, they just scratch the car and enter the backup car in a later night... I see no real difference.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
1/17/16, 2:28 AM   #36
DirtHawk92

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 8

Had some time to really think about this... Here's my problem with it... Nowadays social media is on your front door step.. Back when guys did this in Usac from what I understand they didn't try to run 2 diff rides knew who they were and there was something u would read about in paper a day later... Joke about... Now so here's the deal u got some young kid tryin to make it in the sprint world whether it b midgets or 410s workin his butt off to get a ride or exposure in the racing industry... And along comes a "known" driver tryin to slip one in on the field...remember the "known" driver would've been in the same situation back in the day...Don't forget how u got where u r... Give u the benefit of the doubt Shane... Slice of Humble Pie never hurt anyone...sure I'm a fan of drivers gettin 2 rides midget week=midgets&410s enjoy as much as anyone... Just my 2cents...

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, kart31rac, v8j
1/17/16, 11:15 AM   #37
ThePurple73

Why would a race driver who has capability, risk not competing in the event?

What does a driver want to be known for?

1 member likes this post: Jerry Spencer
1/18/16, 12:27 AM   #38
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
I'd be a little surprised if this is the first time for this.
It has happened in the past at the Chili Bowl. A car owner from the South had 2 cars entered, one for his son and another for Carl Olsen (from Down Under). They put Carl in the car intended for the son after Carl had already raced the other car. DQ ruled as soon as he was discovered. Tony Elliott drove at least a full season for that car owner, so someone may remember that team. Seems like Danny Drinan had a nasty crash at Eldora in one of that team's cars in the late '90s. Help me -- my memory is leaking.

1/18/16, 1:11 AM   #39
v8j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat O'Connor Fan View Post
It has happened in the past at the Chili Bowl. A car owner from the South had 2 cars entered, one for his son and another for Carl Olsen (from Down Under). They put Carl in the car intended for the son after Carl had already raced the other car. DQ ruled as soon as he was discovered. Tony Elliott drove at least a full season for that car owner, so someone may remember that team. Seems like Danny Drinan had a nasty crash at Eldora in one of that team's cars in the late '90s. Help me -- my memory is leaking.
I believe the team was CED

1/18/16, 1:14 AM   #40
JDK222

I still have not heard if Alex Shanks was even at the Chili Bowl. My understanding he is a real driver from Southern Illinois with ties to Amati Racing. Shane has not explained his intent? He says it was all in fun? This doesn't pass the smell test for me. Shane was already in a good car why get in another? The only thing that makes since for me is an attempt to cheat, run 2 cars and stick with the one that advanced the furthest. But even after all of that if he had one the whole thing how was he going to explain it in Victory Lane. Things just don't add up to me, has to be more to the story. Ones actions define your character, and as Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I got to say about that"

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Shane Cockrum