IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How many would attend?
2/23/23, 8:10 PM   #11
PIT CART

Watching now and the crowd looks good. Lots of whining on social media about this sudden race date😆

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, jdull99, oppweld, tirespinner
2/24/23, 1:42 AM   #12
Re: How many would attend?
B99

That crowd looked huge, Lincoln hit a home run tonite.

2/24/23, 11:55 AM   #13
Gene Franckowiak

Lincoln was packed to the gills last night.....they hit a home run !!!

2/24/23, 11:57 AM   #14
BrentTFunk

Real nice crowd for a Thursday night in February. Very efficiently ran show. Hot laps at 7:00. Racing ended at 8:37. Having only 25 cars and no B Main helped. Thought feature was decent. The heat races were a great advertisement for qualifying. Not much action. Running one class helped. During MidgetWeek when some promoters add a third class, and the night drags on, think of how efficient this one was.

2/24/23, 6:27 PM   #15
1021gpa

Not sure if you would get a sprint crowd that big but have seen lucas oil latemodels pack brownstown like that early in the year

2 members like this post: motorhead748, tirespinner
2/24/23, 9:20 PM   #16
flagboy55

Proves that wings are better 😉But seriously I thought that was awesome. I echo Brent’s thoughts about the efficiency of the program. I think only one yellow all night. The crowd was great. But I think the biggest factor was a near perfect weather day. And that’s why they did it anyway. But to answer the original question, I don’t think you could have pulled off anything close to that successful here in Indiana on a weekday in February, even with perfect weather. That was a crowd ISW would be happy with.

2/25/23, 1:09 PM   #17
yeleyfan76

The heat races were a great advertisement for qualifying. Not much action.

Ok I’ll bite. Tell me why.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
2/26/23, 12:42 AM   #18
flagboy55

76, there’s no helping wing heat races

1 member likes this post: oppweld
2/26/23, 9:19 AM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
The heat races were a great advertisement for qualifying. Not much action.

Ok I’ll bite. Tell me why.

Since nobody will answer. Simply put it's flat footed no passing racing with the leader in clean air and the next car only getting enough to stay within about thirty feet. It's not good racing. Winged racing with dirty air and two good grooves is great. Otherwise It's what you complain about. Qualifying. You don't pass anyone in the first lap and it stays green. Little chance at advancement and not enough laps or cars to dirty the air for everyone.

Run two 25 lap heats and a 40 lap feature. finishing position of both heats is the lineup for the feature outside and inside rows.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/26/23 at 9:21 AM.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, jonboat15, TNRustler
2/26/23, 10:48 AM   #20
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

With winged cars and only one division, the track does not widen out. You need a support division OR qualifying laps before the heats will be more than what we saw on Thursday night at Lincoln. When you have 7 or 8 car heats you will get the "wing thing heats" as Mr. Nungester described. Here in Central Pennsylvania most tracks have two and sometimes three divisions with the support division(s) running first heats, which in my opinion makes it better for the 410s heats. Sometimes, depending on the track conditions, tracks will run one or two support heats, then run the three or four 410 heats, then finish up the support heats. Features are usually much better than the heats because the track will change with more cars and more laps and the team that makes the best choice in set up will get to or will stay in front. By the way, traditional sprints are better than wing sprints, wing sprints are better than modifieds.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How many would attend?