IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Another question about Sprintweek
6/8/10, 11:01 PM   #1
Another question about Sprintweek
stephen

If you could only come up for one weekend of sprint week, what would it be, the first weekend of Lawrenceburg, Gas City, and Kokomo, or the second week of Terre Haute, Brownstown, Bloomington and Haubstadt. I've been to all these tracks and this is a hard descision to make, because these are all great tracks, even though the car count at Haubstadt was a little down last year.

6/8/10, 11:21 PM   #2
Re: Another question about Sprintweek
racefan20

If you have never been to Kokomo you've got to go. Of course if you've never been to Haubstadt you have to go there too. The car counts start to thin a bit over the course of the week. I'd start on Sunday at Kokomo and see the rest. Not much help am I. :2:

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

6/9/10, 12:04 AM   #3
David Lynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
If you could only come up for one weekend of sprint week, what would it be, the first weekend of Lawrenceburg, Gas City, and Kokomo, or the second week of Terre Haute, Brownstown, Bloomington and Haubstadt. I've been to all these tracks and this is a hard descision to make, because these are all great tracks, even though the car count at Haubstadt was a little down last year.
The second week you have for races and you can save a little money at these tracks bringing in a cooler (beer) and food. Haubstadt you can call a purchase a reserve seat ticket (call) on the back grandstands in the top 6 rows & no need to fight the crowd for a good seat. Gas city & Kokomo you have to purchase everything inside the track.
Last edited by David Lynch; 6/9/10 at 12:05 AM.

6/9/10, 12:16 AM   #4
racephoto1

Second week fan myself. I also spend most of my time in the southern half of the state.

As for slim car counts, the economy is starting to kick sprint car racing in the butt. They are down everywhere.

6/9/10, 12:42 AM   #5
Jerry Shaw

There are great tracks in both weeks. One of the greatest things about ISW 2009 was the drama involved with the fight for the Sprint Week title and the way it all culminated at Haubstadt, on the last night. It went down to the very last lap before Levi Jones had kept the away title from the hard charging Bryan Clauson, who had nearly overcome a handicap caused by a first lap wreck, that forced him to start several rows behind Levi. The rivalry between those two has only intensified, so when you add to that the current level that Chris Windom and Jerry Coons, Jr are running at right now, you couldn't pay me to miss any of these Indiana Sprint Wee events. Especially that last week.

Also, you're going to see a wider variety of tracks in the second week. Starting with the historic half mile. Then onto the beautiful red clay of Bloomington, which is pumping out great A-Mains this year. After that, onto a nostalgic old fairgrounds bullring, that looks like something out of a novel. One that you might see a bullfrog jumping contest at. Then onto one of the best tracks in Indiana and in the county, for that matter. One that is maintained by the master of track preparation, who was the National Promoter of the Year a couple of years ago. The only downfall of selecting the second week is that you would have to miss Kokomo, which is killer.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 6/9/10 at 12:54 AM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/9/10, 12:57 AM   #6
jerseysprintnut

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 17

Agree about Kokomo but Gas City and Lburg are great too.

also to correct you Jerry, its onto Brownstown first then to Bloomington. I'll be seeing the second part starting @ Brownstown. It will be great.

Later, JERSEY

6/9/10, 6:04 AM   #7
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Well I' m going to Gas City, Kokomo, and Brownstown. Was going to hit bloomington as well but the wife wants to go visit family in Michigan that weekend. Would hit Lawrenceburg too however I just dont feel like driving all over the state, plus money it tight.

6/9/10, 7:12 AM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
Opening night usually brings the highest counts When we opened at Twin Cities it was always high fourties. I expect about 35 at the Burg. that or a little at both GC and Kokomo. Terre isn't going to get a huge count but its a show not to miss. Brownstown, Now that place is going to have a lot of cars. The racing depends on the track. If its its LM dry slick then its going to be Huggy pole but if its tacky like last year. WOOHOO! Bloomington will probably have the highest car count of the event.. Haubstadt, Even though the points are pretty much set within a couple possitions the top dogs will be there. Its a track not to miss as well.

CANT LOOSE! PICK ONE!

I'll also add that Possibly the best race the last couple years was the track not many have raced much at. That was KAMP which has been replaced by Brownstown, Also a track rarely driven by USAC and Indiana drivers unless they drive LM's or Mods as well.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/9/10 at 7:16 AM.

6/9/10, 9:06 AM   #9
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Opening night usually brings the highest counts When we opened at Twin Cities it was always high fourties. I expect about 35 at the Burg. that or a little at both GC and Kokomo. Terre isn't going to get a huge count but its a show not to miss. Brownstown, Now that place is going to have a lot of cars. The racing depends on the track. If its its LM dry slick then its going to be Huggy pole but if its tacky like last year. WOOHOO! Bloomington will probably have the highest car count of the event.. Haubstadt, Even though the points are pretty much set within a couple possitions the top dogs will be there. Its a track not to miss as well.

CANT LOOSE! PICK ONE!

I'll also add that Possibly the best race the last couple years was the track not many have raced much at. That was KAMP which has been replaced by Brownstown, Also a track rarely driven by USAC and Indiana drivers unless they drive LM's or Mods as well.
Yeah, that Kamp race was outstanding last year. That track has a great shape to it. Too bad the surface is the way it is, with the dust, rocks and all. I am actually going to miss it this year.

6/9/10, 11:23 AM   #10
kasey2020

Yeah, Kamp was a fun place to race. Unfortunately, another dirt track is gone. RIP Kamp Motorspeedway.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Another question about Sprintweek