IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
ronmil (Offline)
  #1 9/7/11 2:10 PM
One of my all time favorites would have been 75 today! Too bad he got on that airplane back on Feb. 3, 1959. Rock on, Buddy!

Ron Miller
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, Mud Packer, rdzsprint
Bradleyracing86 (Offline)
  #2 9/7/11 2:44 PM
The world lost a few good guys in that crash.
Posted via Mobile Device
PAW (Offline)
  #3 9/7/11 3:44 PM
Been to the where the crash happened, there's a little deal telling about it.Glad Waylon didn't get on it. Who knows what Buddy could of done.

:99:: Wings Don't Move Air THEY SUCK
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, Speedwrench
DAD (Offline)
  #4 9/7/11 6:48 PM
I can remember the crash like it was yesterday. My 6th grade teacher was a promoter who did all the rock concerts in Louisville and had them booked for a concert in a couple of weeks. I can remember he was real upset the day it happened and got us kids upset too. Now I wonder If it was just because of all the money he had to refund. "That was the day the music died."
2 Likes: Bradleyracing86, speed bump
  #5 9/7/11 9:55 PM
For the times it was common, but the pilot didn't even have an instrument rating...
Posted via Mobile Device
Gregg (Offline)
  #6 9/8/11 6:39 AM
My brother told me about Holly, Valens and the Bog Bopper and showed me the newspaper story the day after the plane crash. I was so young at the time I didn't know exactly what death meant. At the time my brother had singles from all three in his record collection.

The music may have died on 2/3/59 but Buddy Holly's music certainly didn't.
DAD (Offline)
  #7 9/8/11 8:51 AM
Back then doors were optional equipment on that air plane. They did have right- left meters and up-down meters. I think their problem was a matinance deal, if you like I can tell you all about matinance problems.
mikeham73 (Offline)
  #8 9/8/11 9:10 AM
That paticular Bonanza used a Sperry Attitude Indicator which is different than the artificial horizon he was used to. If you dont know the difference it can get you disoriented pretty quick. It's funny you mentioned it, I heard "American Pie" on the radio yesterday and it reminded me of that crash.
Posted via Mobile Device
  #9 9/8/11 9:55 AM
Yea the sperry caused lots of confusion, they interpet information almost completley back-asswards. However I think he wasnt thinking he was going to run into IMC conditions and wouldnt need it. 6 sm was reported at the strip, but snow reduces that substantially and thats what they got into enroute. Unfortunate never the less..
Seadog (Offline)
  #10 9/8/11 10:18 AM
A really good new BH tribute album has been released. Check it out.

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/List...e/602527815145