IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Closed Thread
TM123 (Offline)
  #11 7/18/12 4:11 PM
I think we have already seen what happened in USAC with the Focus midgets. It was suppose to be a cheaper class and then guys started putting money in them to where they were putting as much into a focus as the regular midgets. So everyone either stayed with or went back to the regular midgets.

Mini sprint counts are up and if you leave them stock they hold together. I don't see the need to re-invent the wheel. Besides wouldn't you need to get a whole new car if you change to the Focus? I'm sure it won't fit in all mini sprint chassis.

Instead of seeing about running a Midget with a wing with the mini sprints why not see if you can run it with a wing with the midgets? It would be closer to being legal there. Or better yet run it with no wing with the Midgets as it is too a MIDGET.
2 Likes: RickyBobby, STUMPS88
mini27 (Offline)
  #12 7/18/12 4:13 PM
Hope it fails, minisprints are just fine way they are now, 1000cc motors do the job.

Posted via Mobile Device
2 Likes: minisprinter, RickyBobby
Cadpro18 (Offline)
  #13 7/18/12 7:43 PM
In my 30+ years of racing, a stock 1000cc chain-drive mini sprint has been, by far, the most unreliable powertrain I've ever owned. Just looking at our sanctioning body, the engine/driveline has the highest catastophic failure rate I've ever seen, not to mention the minor failures that cause weekly DNFs.

If provided with the option of a reliable engine/driveline I'd stay in this class... but, I wont waste another dime on a 1000cc go kart...
Bradleyracing86 (Offline)
  #14 7/18/12 7:50 PM
Ive had 2 chain failures in 10 years, both were due to me not wanting to replace an worn out chain...

Our series allows a drivetrain.. No one has built one yet.

Posted via Mobile Device
mini27 (Offline)
  #15 7/18/12 9:57 PM
I had 1 chain problem out of 4 years of minis. Life would be easier with a quick change but car counts do not need a another mini sprints class just to makes use of one. Put it in a midget,there needs to be one more midget class.

Posted via Mobile Device
RickyBobby (Offline)
  #16 7/19/12 1:25 AM
Ok so if it weighs more than a mini sprint, has less HP than a mini sprint, & costs more than a mini sprint,... how is it a mini sprint evolution? I don't consider that a step in the right direction. Not to mention that the Wisconsin mini sprints are one of the biggest groups in the country. They are doing fine with inline 4 cyl. motorcycle motors. No evolution needed there. Plus that car is a midget to begin with.

Posted via Mobile Device
6 Likes: Copperhead, DAD, El1teBr33ze, Jrp4554, STUMPS88, TM123
TM123 (Offline)
  #17 7/19/12 10:05 AM
Is there any mini sprint orginization that will to let this car run with them?
DAD (Offline)
  #18 7/19/12 10:16 AM
Keep your eyes on the "echo tec's". They can give a full midget a hard way to go right now and they are a lot cheaper to own. The motor it self is a lot closer to a race motor to start with than the Focus, block, crank valves and ports. The big problem with 2 valve motors is those big old valve springs required to keep those big old valves, rockers, and push rods under control, that is why the Esslinger motor does so well, but they are still held back with a poor combustion chamber and big old heavy valves. A good 4 valve head does not need a lot of spring pres. to keep the valves under control and are much more efficient they can make more HP with less cubic inches.

That little 4 valve V8 scared all the midget people to death at the Chili bowl a few years ago and all it was was 2 motorcycle jugs and heads bolted to a special crank and crankcase. Typical race response "OUTLAW THAT THING BEFORE IT MULTIPLIES". Seems a little stupid to me. If it works use it don't outlaw it. They didn't say anything to Runyon about his V8 20 years ago because it wasn't up front, had he had more time with it he would have been outlawed too.

An Esslinger with a 4 valve head would be really fast and rebuilds would be a lot further apart because of the stress removed from the valves and springs. Them old guys used to make race heads for their Model A's and flat head Fords, Esslinger's head are anything but a stock Pinto head. Why not a 4 valve Esslinger, because they would either outlaw it outright or make rules to slow it down.

Are we trying to keep the cost of racing engines down or the cost of rebuilding race engines UP? Like TQ's "God love" them they have a policy of racing an engine for at least for 30 years before changing them Crosley's 30 years Honda 750 cc 30 Years, they run them until they have to buy them out of a museum and the price skyrockets.

Racing is suppose to lead technology and not follow it, people in racing right now are way way behind the curve !!

"LETS GET WITH THE PROGRAM."

Honest Dad himself
latemodel55 (Offline)
  #19 7/19/12 10:24 AM
This engine that is being used is a 2.0 duratec 2008-2011.
DAD (Offline)
  #20 7/19/12 11:15 AM
[quote=latemodel55;292223]This engine that is being used is a 2.0 duratec 2008-2011.[/QUOT

I don't mind running against them until they beat Me.

Then we outlaw them.

Honest, any organization wanting to grow should at least see what they have to offer. It is hard to start out fresh with a new Idea unless or until somebody gives you a break.

Honest Dad himself

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Originally Posted by TM123:
I think we have already seen what happened in USAC with the Focus midgets. It was suppose to be a cheaper class and then guys started putting money in them to where they were putting as much into a focus as the regular midgets. So everyone either stayed with or went back to the regular midgets.

Mini sprint counts are up and if you leave them stock they hold together. I don't see the need to re-invent the wheel. Besides wouldn't you need to get a whole new car if you change to the Focus? I'm sure it won't fit in all mini sprint chassis.

Instead of seeing about running a Midget with a wing with the mini sprints why not see if you can run it with a wing with the midgets? It would be closer to being legal there. Or better yet run it with no wing with the Midgets as it is too a MIDGET.

Mini sprints "1000cc midgets" is what I meant to say are nothing but a midget chassis already with a sideways motorcycle engine in them. Install a new motor plate and rear end and you are ready to go.

Kenyon midgets are that already just missing a few Horsepower (motor kinda of old school) they were cutting edge when they first installed them. "Time marches on!"

Honest Dad himself
Closed Thread