IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ID Help, Vintage Champ Car
9/2/15, 10:23 AM   #31
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop View Post
Ok if we are talking about old cars and restoring them, I have a question. Lets say I find the sprint car that Steve won the 1st World of Outlaw championship. It is in bad shape, has no motor. I make a new frame, copying the rusted, bent up old frame. I put together a new engine to go in it. Find a same year rear end, wheels, tires, shocks. Copy the bent up wing. Find a fuel cell tank that matches the one that should be on the car. Can I really say that it is the real car anymore? If I sell the car,but keep the old frame, did I really sell the car? With an old race car. What can you replace before it is not really the original car?
The general rule is 51% of the chassis. There are cars out there that are not what they claim to be and others that are huge question marks.

9/2/15, 12:36 PM   #32
Re: ID Help, Vintage Champ Car
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer5c View Post
this car was built in 1989, I put this body on it 2 years ago, your car is not a 60's car I amguessing late 80's early 90's without looking closer
This car was making laps at Paragon Saturday

1 member likes this post: racer5c
9/2/15, 6:03 PM   #33
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc/rider View Post
This car was making laps at Paragon Saturday
some old fat guy was driving it

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...79868366018457
Last edited by racer5c; 9/2/15 at 6:08 PM.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, mc/rider
9/2/15, 11:23 PM   #34
welder

The chassis looks an awful lot like a 1981 Stanton I once had and ran in early 1990's, but someone cut off the cage on what you have there. The resemblance to a Stanton is diagonal 1" tubes next to engine, X in front top rails, bolt in piece of LR bottom frame rail for rear end removal.
Danny Williams, Jr.
Dynamite Welding
317-437-3313

9/16/15, 11:56 PM   #35
lllosingit2

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
Looks like it could be a Nance car with the bracing in front. Laverne built a lot of those cars for the boys in the NCRA.
Not 100% certain yet but more and more it's looking like it's a Nance chassis that was stretched, Showed pictures to Bob Thompson and he said the steering is mounted like a Nance and also and he also commented on the removable frame section that Nance and Trostle used to do and some other stuff. I also found Nance cast into the Pressure plates at least that what I think they are called but those are easily interchanged. I'll find out more when I get it stripped down and to the shop.

9/17/15, 1:11 AM   #36

The tail is definately a Nance tail. But I'm pretty sure the rest of the car is not. I have 10 Nance chassis ranging from 1968 up to 1989. None of them are even close to this. But I will admit the car has been cut up quite a bit so it's hard to tell. I actually think it looks more like a mid 80's Shores car then anything. But I have often joked that Llyod Shores never built two cars alike. My first car was supposed to be a 1979 Shores. My Dad had a 79 Shores at the time. Later on, my friend Chad Delagrange had a 79 Shores. If you set all three of them side by side, you would swear they were all different brands.

But the steering mount, the shock mounts and the bar behind the seat all look like a Shores. Also, the torsion stops were a style that Shores used (along with other builders). The cut out for the rear end was very common among several builders. But the quality of work is not near the quality that Shores would do (or Nance). I almost wonder if some one built the car using two different chassis so to make it long enough for a transmission.

Also, in discussing how old the car is, this isn't conclusive, but in the early to mid 80's most chassis builders went from 5/8" bolts that held the radius rods on to 1/2" bolts. Something to check.

Tom Paterson

1 member likes this post: fish
9/17/15, 10:48 PM   #37
Racer1n

I know it's certainly not a Nance.

1 member likes this post: fish
9/18/15, 4:57 PM   #38
hoosier sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
You want to say Roy Caruthers has no idea what he's talking about?

Please embarrass yourself some more. He was only trying to be helpful and you won't accept that?
Like he knew who the post was from. Why dont u step off ur high horse, charles. He was just looking for some info dude

9/18/15, 5:50 PM   #39
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier sprinter View Post
Like he knew who the post was from. Why dont u step off ur high horse, charles. He was just looking for some info dude
This was like a month ago and we talked it out. Not only that, Roy pretty much said who he was.

Please bash the other two who said basically the same thing. We were only trying to help, Pointing out that it wasn't a 60s chassis when he was convinced it was.. But Oh well. I hope he finds out what he needs. Makes what he wants out of it and has a hell of a good time with it.

Climb off your high horse. Learn how to spell, and mind your own business.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/18/15 at 5:55 PM.

9/18/15, 6:05 PM   #40
racer5c

Charles, thanks, it doesn't matter who I am I'm just a guy that likes old race cars like a lot of other people, it's just I've had a few people ask about cars, then want to argue about what it is, I guess they want to believe they have a historic car a car worth a lot of money who knows, like you said I hope he has fun with it however it turns out

1 member likes this post: EPSpeed
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ID Help, Vintage Champ Car