IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ID Help, Vintage Champ Car
8/30/15, 11:16 PM   #11
Re: ID Help, Vintage Champ Car
lllosingit2

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer5c View Post
funny how people ask about things then don't want to hear the truth
Funny how people like you assume they know what they are talking about.I already figured the car wasn't early 60's but figured if I posted it on several forums someone would recognize the car. I really don't care unless the car has important history behind. If it does then it will be saved and not cut up and turned into a street car.

I will also add nobody has shown me anything the proves what year the car is. There are pictures of cars very similar to this being run in the late 60's.... Yes with a full cage and lots of cars this style were ran in the 70's and early 80's. This car has been discussed by people in other forums and a couple chassis builders that have been in the business for many decades and they can't even be certain because it's easy to update chassis over time. I do know the car sat in a shop in Muncie for over 20 years and have no reason to believe I was lied to about everything else that I was told by the gentleman. I already know it's had extensive modifications done on the chassis to make room for the powerglide trans and modded for the wide five quick change it has now. When I get it stripped down and on the table to get a cage added and lengthened then I'll know more.

8/31/15, 8:08 AM   #12
racer5c

your right I just saw my first race car last week have fun with your car

8/31/15, 12:32 PM   #13
Chase Hightower

1) I'm fairly certain racer5c would be Roy Caruthers.
2) And I'm 100% certain that he is certain that he knows what he's talking about.
3) I'm most certain 99% of people that have ever known Roy would agree 100%

8/31/15, 2:22 PM   #14
2140rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllosingit2 View Post
I showed pictures to a long time chassis builder/repairer and he said in the early 70's many tracks required a full cage while some only ran a hoop so many cars were built or modified to fit the rules where they ran and some even had bolt cages so they could run anywhere........
True for sprint cars but not Champ cars. In the 1960s it was true that some tracks allowed just roll bars while others didn't. But by 1970 just about every track in the country required cages after IMCA was sued in 1969 after having a driver killed when he was forced to remove his cage at one of their races. USAC made them mandatory for 1971 for sprints and midgets but most cars were already running them in 1970. As for Championship Dirt cars like yours cages weren't mandatory until 1972 although there were quite a few of them on the cars by 1971.

One more idea although you've probably already thought of it. You haven't mentioned the wheelbase on the Champ Car. If it's 100" this car could very well be one of the NCRA Champ Cars that ran in the Oklahoma area back in the 1980s. I believe Lloyd Shores did build some cars for that circuit. The use of wide-5 rear hubs was pretty common on that circuit which had evolved from big dirt supermodifieds.
Last edited by 2140rc; 8/31/15 at 2:25 PM.

8/31/15, 3:38 PM   #15
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

You want to say Roy Caruthers has no idea what he's talking about?

Please embarrass yourself some more. He was only trying to be helpful and you won't accept that?

3 members like this post: EPSpeed, Pat O'Connor Fan, TQ29m
8/31/15, 4:18 PM   #16
chop

2015-20=1995 so if it sat in a shop for 20 years it would have been made in 1995. To me it looks like a mid 80 car. When did ncra champ cars stop racing? It looks like one of them to me

8/31/15, 7:11 PM   #17
lllosingit2

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm not new to sprint cars myself and never said anyone was wrong. I have been told by many people that the car could be 70's to 80's and have not doubted anyone. The only reason the picture was posted was to see if anyone might recognize the car as it is now. I have a few people tell me without a doubt it's a late 60's and others say early 70's and yes others have said late 70's -early 80's, Many are old timers that have been around sprints longer than I have been alive. I do know that someone already started to modify it for street use/ Bars have been cut and some have been added and the rear was put in with a posi unit instead of a spool. Did anyone run a powerglide back then?
Car is 96"
I'll try to see if Trostle can look at it for me. I'm sure he's seen a few big cars in his day. He should at least be able to tell if and what has been modified.

8/31/15, 7:27 PM   #18
lllosingit2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
You want to say Roy Caruthers has no idea what he's talking about?

Please embarrass yourself some more. He was only trying to be helpful and you won't accept that?
I never said Roy Caruthers has no idea what he was talking about when it was about the car. My comment was directed at this comment by him. "funny how people ask about things then don't want to hear the truth" and my reply was "Funny how people like you assume they know what they are talking about."
He assumed I don't want to hear that the car is newer than I was told. That's not the case at all as I said in the same post it doesn't really make any difference unless the car has some history behind it. I would like to know more about the car because in the condition it's in now it could be saved but if I tear it down and rebuild it as a street car it would be a huge step backwards if the car was worth restoring. Chances are that it's just as old sprint car like thousands of old cars sitting in/behind a shop and not of much value but I would rather preserve something than destroy it if it's worth preserving.

Again no disrespect to anyone on this message board but you also have to understand that I have heard a hundred compelling reasons why it's for sure this year or that year and not just on this forum, It's been done on other forums and while standing next to the car looking at the chassis and people noting it has a fiberglass seat that looks correct for the year they stated. Pointing out the lack of modern nerf bar mounts on the chassis and so on.
Last edited by lllosingit2; 8/31/15 at 7:32 PM.

8/31/15, 8:26 PM   #19
lllosingit2

I took some more pictures, Let me know what you think and again I'm not really concerned about the year but I guess it would help in trying to find the history of the car.
I do appreciate the help!

8/31/15, 8:40 PM   #20
chop

Ok if we are talking about old cars and restoring them, I have a question. Lets say I find the sprint car that Steve won the 1st World of Outlaw championship. It is in bad shape, has no motor. I make a new frame, copying the rusted, bent up old frame. I put together a new engine to go in it. Find a same year rear end, wheels, tires, shocks. Copy the bent up wing. Find a fuel cell tank that matches the one that should be on the car. Can I really say that it is the real car anymore? If I sell the car,but keep the old frame, did I really sell the car? With an old race car. What can you replace before it is not really the original car?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ID Help, Vintage Champ Car