IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Team96 (Offline)
  #11 8/8/17 12:55 PM
Speaking for myself as a team owner of a lower budget non wing sprint car team from SW Ohio and only myself.

We will absolutely go to and support bigger paying shows. But there are other criteria that have to be met as well.

What is the pay for outside of winning? How well is the show going to pay on back to 20th or even for tow $$?

Most non wing local races only pay $100 tow $. That does not cover the cost of loading up and driving to just about any track, let alone the pit passes to get in for the driver and 2 crew members. Put on top of that all the costs associated with running a car and you lose $ to go run any show that you do not make the feature.

Add to that the fact that my $18,000 800 HP motor will likely not compete against the bigger teams $35,000 to $50,000 900+ HP motors at a track the size of Mansfield or an Eldora. So, yes we would think hard about going to any big $ race at a big track that does not pay more than average $ beyond the top 5 or for tow money.

Winged racers will typically get more $ for tow $ and for placing in the top 20. So it is logical that you will get more cars at a winged show.

We are racing this weekend at Mansfield in all 3 non winged shows. Heck we might even throw on a wing and at least put the car on the track to collect the tow $ for the winged races.

But anyone expecting non winged budget racers to jump all over a big $ to win show that doesn't pay much more than the average local show to place or simply tow their car to the track far far away is probably kidding themselves. Racing takes $ and the more of it you have to put into racing the better equipment and more races you can get. For now, we will go to a local $1,500 to win show that pays $250 to start over a big $ show that includes a hotel stay and only pays the same to start. It just doesn't make sense to do otherwise for us.

It's one of the reason's we like the BOSS series. They take care of their loyal drivers and make sure it's worth it to haul the car other places than the local track.
22 Likes: bighd0522, Can26, Charles Nungester, Chase Hightower, dirt330, djbamber, erich45, flagboy55, hoosierhillbilly, JazzTrombonist, Longtime sprinter, nathans1012, oldfan49, oppweld, Pat O'Connor Fan, PJ Wright, RyanKentJr, sprinter14, superstock30, TNRustler, wallbanger II, Will Shunk
Nate (Offline)
  #12 8/8/17 2:41 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
I think it is because non wing teams and fans do not support higher paying shows. In a couple of weeks there is a $10,000 to win and $1000 to start show that will not draw a super high car count.
I don't know if that's entirely true. That show you're speaking of will still draw over 40 cars the first and the stands will be jam packed as always. 40ish cars is the same amount of cars they draw for the Oval Nats or 4-Crown. Between 40-50 is about as good as it gets these days.

If you consider the drivers and teams that will show up. It's easy to see why some of the smaller, less funded or inexperienced teams/drivers would stay away.

Nate Bickel - @natefb22
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #13 8/8/17 3:35 PM
An awfully large amount of cash to put out for a race......

....especially in April.

Look at how many times the Kokomo Grand Prix for midgets has fought the elements. April is very iffy, at best. The weekend in question for this event will be the same weekend WoO was at Plymouth this year.
3 Likes: fish, flagboy55, tirespinner
Augie (Offline)
  #14 8/8/17 5:30 PM
Originally Posted by david mitchell:
Why do all the massive paying shows have to be for winged cars.can anyone in this galaxy answer that question.i like both,but come on.why some promoter won't do this for traditional sprint cars is beyond comprehension.are they scared that they will not get a crowd big enough.i want all opinions.
That's winged sprint county, like here in Wisconsin the fans won't show in large enough numbers.
Hell Eldora had a million dollar purse for non winged and only 9000 people showed up, if it would have been winged they would have had 20,000+.
5 Likes: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, interpreter66, ossuks, PIT CART
Charles Nungester (Online)
  #15 8/8/17 5:37 PM
Originally Posted by Augie:
That's winged sprint county, like here in Wisconsin the fans won't show in large enough numbers.
Hell Eldora had a million dollar purse for non winged and only 9000 people showed up, if it would have been winged they would have had 20,000+.
It was also a Hundred Dollar ticket. Not exactly bring the kids etc gate price. It was also in Sept. and the friday portion was a school day. Fri's crowd was thin, Saturday was decent. Not near Kings Royal Size but decent.

Charles Nungester
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #16 8/8/17 5:38 PM
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike:
An awfully large amount of cash to put out for a race......

....especially in April.

Look at how many times the Kokomo Grand Prix for midgets has fought the elements. April is very iffy, at best. The weekend in question for this event will be the same weekend WoO was at Plymouth this year.
That's kind of what I was thinking too................And shouldn't a World Championship be at the end of a year? Just thinking out loud???
Augie (Offline)
  #17 8/8/17 6:51 PM
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester:
It was also a Hundred Dollar ticket. Not exactly bring the kids etc gate price. It was also in Sept. and the friday portion was a school day. Fri's crowd was thin, Saturday was decent. Not near Kings Royal Size but decent.
$80, $84 for reserved seat, and was good for both days.
And just a tick over 9000 fans, the late model million was the same price with a much larger purse and 3x more fans.

The Mansfield show can be a success, probably be separate ticket each day, good forecast for 2 days straight in April is tough but will make or break this thing.
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #18 8/9/17 6:06 PM
I can't believe the usual people haven't asked about the tire rule. You guys are letting me down
4 Likes: Charles Nungester, fish, Jbaldwin, PIT CART
interpreter66 (Offline)
  #19 8/9/17 6:56 PM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
I can't believe the usual people haven't asked about the tire rule. You guys are letting me down
Or the weather☀️💦🌪❄️🌨
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, fish, tirespinner
flatout (Offline)
  #20 8/10/17 7:57 AM
Originally Posted by Jerry Spencer:
I will hold my opinion on this until the end of the season.

Jerry #66j
Tease
2 Likes: interpreter66, Simon_says17