IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > COMMENTS Please...
4/25/11, 9:17 PM   #1
COMMENTS Please...
coxie bowman

This was in the NSSN a couple of years ago. One can take any part of it or all of it in order for more interesting racing in NASCAR. I know it's off the subject on this forum, but I feel a need to post it for, "DISECTION", as it the NORM here.

LET THE DRIVER DO IT!

I wonder if N.A.S.C.A.R. ever considered SHORT TRACK rules of engagement, where the driver makes his own on track decisions. No one tells him to move up or down, conserve gas or tires, etc. We know the driver can do it, after all, they came from short tracks, so did the fans. With todays format, how many of you fall asleep on the couch after the start then wake up near the finish. CHANGE, can sometimes be a positive, although we’re not receptive to change it might be worth a try. Here are a few thoughts that could bring about some pretty good racing.
PIT STOPS; Why not yellow flag the race for everyone when tires and fuel are needed. Have a two or three minute pit stop. This puts all drivers and teams on equal ground. Then when the race starts winding down to a hundred miles or so, the next pit stop could be stretched a little longer, making tire and fuel management mildly prevalent. Unscheduled pit stops will be the driver’s problem. Again, this can all be fine tuned.
REAR VIEW MIRRORS, except to block someone, why care who’s behind you. I once asked Lee Elkins while getting in his race car at Springfield, if he would give me signals as to how close someone was behind me, he said, “worry about who the blankety blank in front of you, not who’s behind you.” It made sense to me.
SPOTTERS; Aside from having the best seat in the house and being able to coach the driver, are they really needed? Why not have a RACE DIRECTOR in the tower with a one way radio to the drivers and pits. Have N.A.S.C.A.R. officials posted around the track to give feed back to the Race Director for safety. The fans can listen in like they do now. The Race Director can run the show and administrate race procedure to the drivers. It’s done all the time in many sanctioning bodies today.
SAFTY LIGHTS; Have enough strobe lights around the track so the driver won’t miss them if there’s trouble, the Race Director will again be able to call the shots.
As far as penalties and fines go, that can all be worked out, but sending a driver to the rear of the field with this type of format would suffice. Remember, nothing is etched in stone, and like I said earlier, ‘the rules can be modified.’
Many pluses would come from this if it’s used, more fan interest, more sponsor interest, more affordable participant interest, and the list goes on, not to mention the unlimited po-tential it has in other areas of the program. It levels the playing field and invites a different level of marketing also.
If I read anymore about how bad N.A.S.C.A.R. is, I’ll get skid marks in my skivvies. N.A.S.C.A.R. was conceived from one man’s dream to what it is today. The road has been long and at times, quite ugly. But the pluses have outnumbered the minuses. There will always be ongoing conflict between the players and the referees in any sport as well as outside opinions. N.A.S.C.A.R. has the races and the benefits if you get there, chances are you’ll be sitting pretty for the most part and not just the drivers either. It would have been nice if big fortunes came in the early years for the sake of the, “good ole boys”, for some it has. N.A.S.C.A.R. is the premier sanctioning body of all times. Anyone in racing wants to make it to the bigs, and if they say, ‘not’, then I’ll show you someone who’s raced too many races without a helmet.

1 member likes this post: speed bump
4/25/11, 9:40 PM   #2
addictedtodirt

I think you are beating a dead horse Jack
Posted via Mobile Device

4/25/11, 10:43 PM   #3
Re: COMMENTS Please...
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

In my opinion Jack, NASCAR has no interest in down home racing. That ship has sailed. Now they are trying to stage an entertainment event for a TV audience not the fans in the stands. It is about revenue not racing. They need to get rid of the talking heads that love to listen to the sound of their voices. Why do we need all of the hype if the racing is so great?

The last thing they need is another mile and a half track. Bring back Rockingham and North Wilksboro. Bring in Iowa while getting rid of a race at Fontana, Charlotte, Loudon and Kansas.

Their officiating has become almost laughable. I still can't believe the whole Carl Long episode from a couple of years ago. The penalties don't fit the crimes anymore. They are trying to regulate the whole series like IROC. Identical cars that can't seem to find a race.

They do truly have the best sports marketing program out there. They have sold America a very substandard product. The best series that they have are the two modified tours. Yet they sadly don't do anything to market these programs. They race under the NASCAR banner without the big corporate sponsorships and little if any TV audience.

They sold their soul to corporate America and kicked the fans that got them there to the wayside. Now that rose has wilted.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Last edited by Mud Packer; 4/25/11 at 10:45 PM.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan, scooter99
4/25/11, 11:15 PM   #4
short track scott

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by short track scott; 4/27/11 at 6:33 AM.

4/25/11, 11:25 PM   #5
Russ

The first thing I think they should do is to scrap the COT and get back to running a more stock looking car. Second, on all but the superspeedways, is to switch to the short track racing format of heats, dash and C, B and A mains. 100 lap or mile A mains are plenty long enough. I couldn't care less if they have radios, spotters or mirrors. I'm not a big fan of pit stops. I kind of liked the way they did pit stops in the truck series when it first started. A 10 minute break at halfway.

4/26/11, 12:52 AM   #6
Kansasdirtfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Second, on all but the superspeedways, is to switch to the short track racing format of heats, dash and C, B and A mains. 100 lap or mile A mains are plenty long enough.
Couldn't agree more. I've been a proponent of the short track format for years. It would go a long way toward keeping me engaged for more of the event. Unless it's Indy, 500 laps/miles is way too long to keep my attention. Especially for "stock" cars.
Last edited by Kansasdirtfan; 4/26/11 at 12:55 AM.

4/26/11, 5:27 AM   #7
LocalYokel

Spotters are very much necessary in NASCAR. They provide saftey to the drivers. Stock cars are alot larger compaired to a sprint/midget. They allow the drivers to know when they are clear of other cars when passing and getting passed. Without spotters the amount of wrecks would skyrocket, espically on the bigger tracks, where simply touching another car can cause a giant multi car accident. The spotters also inform the drivers of upcoming incidents such as slower cars and wrecks. The caution lights are almost not needed because the spotter informs the driver of yellow/red flags on the track. The spotters let the driver know immediately.

Also for what its worth pitstops have been there from the begining and are an intresting part of NASCAR or any other long distance race. They really make the racing more intresting alot of the time.

Lastly, if you don't like NASCAR in its current form then why watch? Go to a local show and support whatever kind of racing you like. Then, maybe, if enough people support their local short track, then maybe that kind of racing would wind up on TV...

You asked...
Posted via Mobile Device

4/26/11, 8:54 AM   #8
backitin

Man I'd support my local fact except for the fact that everything they run in my opinion is garbage. The one good "local" track we have is in Hamlin, they have 600 nonwing micros. Problem is you have to sit thru 20 yellow flags waiting to get the winged 270 show in. Plus without inverted starts your putting the fastest guys up front, how is that going to offer good racing. Thats what I miss about flemington, the fastest guys would start in the rear together and it made a hell of a show. Add to the fact that Its totally cookie cutter racing, everybody has what everybody else has, right up to friggin sealed crate motors. Run shorter races on shorter tracks and open up the rules some. Loosen the cars up some so the driver will be too busy driving to be on the radio, looking in the mirror and dying to go hit tweeter or twitter or face book or what ever have it to see how great he is.

4/26/11, 9:55 AM   #9
Mudclodbob

I no longer watch NASCAR. Actually NASCAR has made me a fan of the PGA, as there is more excitement there. Short track/sprint/midget/supermod racing is where the action is. I also enjoy a "normal" show with heats, B and feature racing.

Bob

2 members like this post: duel, speed bump
4/26/11, 11:05 AM   #10
coxie bowman

Like the man says, 'I'm beating a dead horse' but the rules of engagement can be altered to fit the super speedways. As far as the spotters go, the RACE DIRECTOR would have be the one and only SPOTTER for ALL the drivers to listen to. The STROBE lights all around the track would take care of the problem situations.
If some of these rules were implemented, it would put everyone on a level playing field AND, it would give ANYONE wanting to go to NASCAR a chance to at least TRY, that's if they could raise the money and make it through the inspections, etc.

The other comment on the board was, 'don't watch it if you don't like it' I understand that very well about that statement, and sometimes, mostly, I don't.
Like MUDCLOGBOB says, PGA at times.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > COMMENTS Please...