IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona crowd so small today
2/12/18, 4:34 PM   #11
Re: Daytona crowd so small today
thunder31

Packed house at the green flag. NASCAR is circling the drain and they have no idea how to fix it.

3 members like this post: Jhouts06, jim goerge, racenut69
2/12/18, 4:54 PM   #12
chop

I watched it on the tv. We have 2 foot of snow on the ground an it is 15 degrees out side. Also watched the Arca last 3 laps crash festival. Some one post on here up when Bell or Rico makes it to the cup. Till then, in the summer time I will hit the local track to support the local racers.
I will spend way more time watching and following the Olympics the next few weeks then what ever nascar has going on down south.

3 members like this post: cornerthree, davidm, dirt330
2/12/18, 8:38 PM   #13
IndianaSprintFan

I will probably never stop watching and following NASCAR with the likes of Larson, Bell and Briscoe competing. That being said I’ll never skip out on a Saturday or Sunday at the dirt track to watch either...

4 members like this post: dirt330, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, mc/rider
2/12/18, 8:40 PM   #14
TQ29m

That's a typical stand up crowd anyway, no sit no show. Bob

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
2/12/18, 9:30 PM   #15
motorhead748

I think it funny that at Kentucky speedway they have painted the grandstand seats so it will appear that they are packed

2/12/18, 11:28 PM   #16
Vertigo

Nobody goes home Thursday because, for their biggest race, they only drew 40 cars for 40 Daytona 500 slots. As late as 2002 they had 54 entries.

1 member likes this post: cornerthree
2/13/18, 7:31 AM   #17
Therealether

Same reason the seats here are multi colored. Works for tv

2/13/18, 8:05 AM   #18
miledirt

It's all about the drivers. Have to keep the path to Indy and Daytona open for young local short track talent. This is first year in a long time (to my memory) that there isn't a USAC type guy getting his shot in the truck series

It's certainly not all gloom and doom, but only 40 cars for the 500 would be a concern
Last edited by miledirt; 2/13/18 at 8:07 AM.

2/13/18, 9:25 AM   #19
Backitin

Its all about the drivers, thats the problem.
Most people that watch nascar have no idea nor do they care what usac or a nonwinged dirtcar is. They also have little to no idea who or where the drivers come from inless your named Danica or junior. Reality is catching up with Daytona, not only is it not the great american race its well on its way to obscurity. 99% of the folks watching the daytona race have no idea who Larson or Bell are nor do they care. The hardest way to get a nascar ride is thru talent especially short track dirt talent. Its a shame you have drivers out there because they are feel good stories or can be used to gather more female fans when for sure there are way better racers. You also have to be polished and molded to a corporate figure. I'd bet that Foyt would have a hard time securing a ride today, when bringing corporate sponsor packages and pretending to be something your not is more important then being a racer. There is literally zero anything, not race cars not the drivers that says anything but stale stand in line conform to our standards corporate greed when it comes to Nascar.
Even the supposedly bad boys of nascar are wusses, the busch's are real tough guys, lol.
Last edited by Backitin; 2/13/18 at 9:27 AM.

2 members like this post: interpreter66, jim goerge
2/13/18, 12:44 PM   #20
dsc1600

I wouldn’t blame Larson for the lack of attendance, he’s not really been pushed by the powers that be certainly not to the extent that Chase Eliott has been.

NASCAR used to have 8-10 guys that had real passionate followings, including guys that dirt fans really liked. In the past years, that dwindled a lot, to the point where it was really only Dale Jr, Gordon and Stewart who had a ton of fans. Now they’re all gone and have been replaced with no names.

The fact that Jimmie Johnson, the Busch brothers and Joey Logano don’t have the followings of the former superstars doesn’t help.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona crowd so small today