Chris Nunn
812-360-6711
nunnc812@gmail.com
itsanonwingthing (Offline)
  #2 11/24/08 4:43 PM
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn:
Or is this the wrong Mike Kirby

Track Champion LM Perris Auto Speedway - Mike Kirby
according to this, http://www.perrisautospeedway.com/2008/pr080311.html, it is the same guy. Not sure when he made the switch!

Keith Wendel
It's a Non Wing thing,.......you wouldn't understand!
Chris Nunn (Offline)
  #3 11/24/08 4:45 PM
Strange, I never would have thought

Chris Nunn
812-360-6711
nunnc812@gmail.com
CRA91 (Offline)
  #4 11/24/08 4:54 PM
He made the switch 2 or 3 years ago,stock cars is what he originally came from.

Terry James Jr.
psullivan
  #5 11/24/08 5:06 PM
That's correct - Mike had run some figure eight cars and had raced stocks at Ascot -- he ran NASCAR's West series as well
Millsvideo
  #6 11/24/08 6:55 PM
As alluded to before, Mike Kirby came out of stock car racing and has always maintained strong ties to it. His sister Carla has always fielded a car, and Mike decided after the 2006 season to step away from sprint car racing and focus solely on fendered racing. Mike is a devoted family man who probably just didn't see the point of putting himself in harms way any longer, and likely just figured stock car racing is a way to continue doing what he loves to do, and do so in a smarter way.

My feeling is that Kirby, perhaps one of the most naturally gifted racers I have ever seen, simply gave up the "cut-throat", more hazardous life of sprint cars for the "less-pressured" venue of Late Models. Back in his heyday, Mike was often heard saying in the sprint car pits that, "I don't need the hassle of this, I would just as soon go drive my figure 8 car" or "my late model".

The simple truth is, had Mike Kirby had the ultimate desire for sprint car racing, say of someone like Rip Williams, he would have surely been a Hall of Famer and would have likely eclipsed all records on the West Coast for wins and accomplishments. Mike was the smoothest, most in control driver I have ever seen wheel a sprint car, and rarely ever tore up his equipment. But, he was always motivated by the enjoyment of it (and perhaps to a much lesser degree, the money he could earn doing it), rather than the acclaim of it all. Really, when you get down to it, Mike just wanted to race. It didn't matter if it was a sprint car, or a cruiser (which he excelled at, too), he was there for the fun and spirit of competition.

Part of me has always had a hard time with that mindset, but another part of me always admired it as well. His reasons for racing sprint cars were pure in that he was not motivated by ambition, greed, or fame. He just wanted to race. While I will always lament Mike's career for what it "could have been", and wish we could have seen what it would have been like had he truly "burned" to be the best sprint car racer of his generation (or more), I will always respect what he managed to accomplish on his terms. Mike Kirby was one hell of a sprint car driver and I, for one, am grateful to have seen (and covered) him in his prime. Thanks for the memories, Mike.

DM
AustinSprinter (Offline)
  #7 11/24/08 8:16 PM
Way ta go "DEANO"!!....Well said....Sure you're not a College Professor discuised as a Videographer!!...that was me at Western that reached out Knuckles to ya (Sec. A) on yer way up top to get Film Roll'n!!..Keep up da Great work!!......Brucer'
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #8 11/24/08 11:10 PM
Great writing DM.:thumb
RichC (Offline)
  #9 11/25/08 11:55 AM
Earlier this year at Perris when the modifieds were running as a support class, Mike was there working (not driving) on a modified. I asked if he was having fun in the Late Models. He said the motors cost just as much as the sprint car and when you wreck them they cost a LOT more to fix than the sprint car. He then paused, pointed at a USAC official and said "I don't have to put up with their B***S*** anymore, so yes, it's a lot more fun"

A lot has been said about the rough driving style of some of the younger drivers. If I ever wanted to teach someone what I considered the "proper" way to drive a sprint car, I'd sit them down to watch tapes of Mike Kirby. If you crowded him, he crowded you right back. The first time you hit him, he gave it a pass. If you hit him a 2nd time, you'd get stuffed. If you raced him clean, he raced you clean. When he was motivated, he could run off several race wins in a row. If I had to compare him to someone in Indiana, it would be Jon Stanbrough. Both are not the type to be blowing warm fuzzies to the crowd but both are nice dudes once you get to know them. Kirby is an often underrated racer and it's nice that someone recognized that he's not out there in a sprint car anymore.
Tripcrwn
  #10 11/25/08 7:41 PM
I truly miss watching Mike Kirby run with the USAC/CRA Sprints. He was a great driver. Nice post RichC. :greenflag: