IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 28 Years Ago Today......
7/21/18, 11:12 AM   #1
28 Years Ago Today......
ISF

Today is a sad anniversary. It's been 28 years since the great Rich Vogler left us.

Rest in peace Mr. Vogler, you were certainly one of the very best!

7/21/18, 12:26 PM   #2
Re: 28 Years Ago Today......
BrentTFunk

Rich was my favorite

5 members like this post: jdull99, Pat O'Connor Fan, racinrich, tirespinner, TQ29m
7/21/18, 12:38 PM   #3
racer-x

The first thing I did when I got to Plymouth last night was go to the Usac trailer and buy the book “Modern Thunder” .. I was beat when I got home last night but still spent a hour looking at pictures in the book. There are a bunch of pictures of Rich and many of our fallen sprint car heroes!

I can still remember hearing on the radio the next morning the sad story of him dying in the race he won. What a way to leave this earth.

7/21/18, 1:07 PM   #4
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

That was on my mind last night. I was there when this tragedy occurred and I will never forget it. Rich was at his peak and would have certainly had many more victories in his future.

7/21/18, 1:25 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Me and my brother were on our way home from the Kings Royal and heard about it on the radio 700WLW.

I considered Rich the King of Non Wing anything, If you beat him in any of USAC's top three divisions you'd accomplished a great feat.

Hate that we often have to learn from accidents but this one lead to cage nets and later head rest and I see some drivers even use both.

RIP Rich, your missed and your accomplishments live on.

5 members like this post: Bostonian, jdull99, jim goerge, mc/rider, racinrich
7/21/18, 9:46 PM   #6
bsmith8

My hero and my idol. I was running a HSCA 360 race at Montpellier that night and got word of this just before we pushed off for the A and it was hard to run that race. RIP Rapid Rich you were the best.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
7/22/18, 12:27 AM   #7
tj39

I think I was like 11 or 12 for some reason I think it was televised I remember the helmet rolling down the track maybe I'm wrong but think he was like a lap ahead of Gordon but had a lot happen since then

3 members like this post: jdull99, jim goerge, mc/rider
7/22/18, 2:58 AM   #8
flagboy55

Without a doubt one of the GOAT! Our group of friends up here frequently quote Rich with one of the greatest lines ever spoken by a racecar driver. This is not verbatim but it was after his chili bowl win talking about the Oklahoma fans. He said something like “they’ll learn to appreciate my winning style of driving”. He certainly drove with winning style

3 members like this post: jdull99, jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan
7/22/18, 8:03 AM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

My favorite quote from rich. Points racing sucks! Every time I hit that track weather its just hotlaps, Im racing to win.

7/22/18, 3:25 PM   #10
cleatziff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj39 View Post
I think I was like 11 or 12 for some reason I think it was televised I remember the helmet rolling down the track maybe I'm wrong but think he was like a lap ahead of Gordon but had a lot happen since then
I was about 9 and this is what I remember as well.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 28 Years Ago Today......