IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters
1/9/18, 3:21 PM   #61
Re: USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
I actually thought the head and NECK restraints were even more to do with avoiding spinal injuries???
It just depends on the one you use. The HANS is only designed for straight collisions (Nascar) while some of the others are designed for the types of wrecks in open wheel racing. A couple of the other head and neck restraint systems use multiple tethers that are supposed to futher support your head in a wreck.

1/9/18, 3:27 PM   #62
jdull99

I understand that (I see the way I worded it though...I mentally included the side supports on the seat as to what I meant for a restraint of some sort)...in regards to those side supports on the seats, I was under the impression that was to keep the head from goin side to side (keeping from breakings necks, while obvsly keeping the head contained inside the cockpit at the same time). So ya, combined with the HANS, from the forward collisions, I thought they all worked together...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 1/9/18 at 3:28 PM.

1/12/18, 1:50 PM   #63
sapper211

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike mcghee View Post
Fred we ran 2nd with a 11k motor...lol
Fred and Mike, that was a beautiful thing @ Badlands. Glad to be able to witness it.

2 members like this post: Fred Zirzow, mike mcghee
1/15/18, 3:48 PM   #64
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

But I bet you had cockpit adjustable shocks and a new tire!

2 members like this post: Fred Zirzow, PIT CART
1/17/18, 8:14 AM   #65
HDINDY

Close your eyes and dream of a podium with 43 drivers hugging and saying we are all equal winners.Then you wake up and realize your at a Nascar race.See the direction this is going?

2 members like this post: racer-x, the1jet17
1/17/18, 10:48 AM   #66
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDINDY View Post
Close your eyes and dream of a podium with 43 drivers hugging and saying we are all equal winners.Then you wake up and realize your at a Nascar race.See the direction this is going?
Not really

4 members like this post: cshuman, erich45, flagboy55, PIT CART
1/17/18, 11:53 PM   #67
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backitin View Post
Not really
Me either. Just because everyone is in the same boat doesn't mean they'll make the same call on setup. Some get it right, some don't. However since cockpit adjustments have been the norm for quite a while in USAC I don't see why it just now became an issue. I mean USAC is suppose to be, "The Top of the Heap", so them having more knobs and cranks seems fitting, that and having the remote adjustment isn't much more expensive than no Remote stuff, is it? I'm not outraged by this, but to me comes under,
"Fixing something that isn't broke".

1 member likes this post: jdull99
1/18/18, 12:13 AM   #68
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
What the heck?

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
1/18/18, 3:12 AM   #69
flagboy55

This thread makes me think that the open wheel racing that we love will implode before long. Maybe not in my lifetime, but I see no need to get my grandkids hooked on it. I have raced. It's dangerous. Shouldn't that element always exist?

1/18/18, 3:41 AM   #70
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
This thread makes me think that the open wheel racing that we love will implode before long. Maybe not in my lifetime, but I see no need to get my grandkids hooked on it. I have raced. It's dangerous. Shouldn't that element always exist?
It would be better if it didn't. Who needs more dead or paralyzed drivers?

2 members like this post: Aces&Eights, sprint72
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters