IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana 305's
9/3/14, 8:21 PM   #1
Indiana 305's
THS

I know this topic has been brought up many times but with tracks for sale and declining car counts I'm concerned. I will be the first to say that you DO NOT have to have 35-40 cars on a weekly basis for a good show. What concerns me is, the tracks that used to get 30 cars or so are lucky to get 18-20..... Whats next... 15-17 or less? Lets face it, there are some fans that would not show up for 15-17 cars. This post is all about questions and opinions, so let them fly!

-Could a track hold up to 410 non wings, 305 wing and another support class?
-Would this be a good feeder series for kids coming out of 600s? My thought is, when its time for them to get into 410 racing they would have all the equipment, less engine and shocks.
-Would we see more modified and late model guys jumping into a sprint car?
-We have seen a lot of local guys sell their equipment because the cost has driven them out. Could this be a chance for them to get back into the saddle?
- From what I have seen it looks like you can build a 305 for $6000-$12000 and be competitive. Looks like most guys are getting all season out of an engine plus....
-With less power it seems like tires are lasting longer.
-Race Saver calls for NO adj shocks. Would that cause guys to buy a lot of different shocks packages and cost more than adj?

Lastly..... HOW MANY OF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE A 305 WING RACING IN INDIANA?

Lets just remember guys... We are an open wheel state! Without sprint cars I feel like we are going to keep losing tracks!!!

Thanks

3 members like this post: Bill May, KRJoyce1, PIT CART
9/3/14, 8:33 PM   #2
Re: Indiana 305's
bn kleen

Aren't 305's comparable in speed to a 1000cc lightning sprint? If so then why speed more for the same. Plus with more and more series running the same rules, theres far more racing for a 1000cc. Hell you can even go topless and run with some of the midget series.

3 members like this post: cmiracingvids, Pat O'Connor Fan, Task Force
9/3/14, 9:04 PM   #3
THS

I'm just thinking this would be a great feeder series for kids looking to move from 600s to a sprint car and possibly help/save some tracks. I understand there will be a lot of other classes to get into but they aren't sprint cars. A LOT of people would like to get into a sprint car and I feel like 305s might be an option for tracks to look into.. I agree topless is better than wing racing but we might have make a few changes in this economy. Just hope this state doesn't get into a wingless "funk" and let it kill local tracks due to price and car counts.

Thanks
Last edited by THS; 9/3/14 at 9:09 PM.

2 members like this post: Chastain75, PIT CART
9/3/14, 9:09 PM   #4
Re: Indiana 305's
BrentTFunk

Most places that have made the move to 360 or 305 do not see that as a feeder, usually guys move down. Use west of the Mississippi as an example. I say run a sprint car or run a modified

9/3/14, 9:25 PM   #5
kcarm92

6000 - 1200.00 for a 305 might as well go ahead and run a 410 lot of engines out there for that price range like they tried several years back weekly shows need to do away with all the cockpit adjustments and fancy shocks when usac or mscs comes to town its all fair game just not your weekly shows jmo

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DaveP63, Jrp4554, Koonzee, PAW
9/3/14, 9:41 PM   #6
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Why have I never heard any mention of nonwing 305 sprints ?

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, davidm, fasster23, racer5c, Task Force
9/3/14, 9:42 PM   #7
cmiracingvids

Paragon has done this for years. U can run an old steel block in an old early 2000s frame with some steel body non adjustable shocks and go out and race and have fun. Or, buy good equipment, get all the bells and whistles and show up with your young 16-18 year old and try and groom the next big thing. Paragon knows and understands, you're gonna all make $100 bucks. So, what you spend to get that $100 at the end of the night is up to you. The purse drives cost down and dictates what cars show up. And last I checked, they get 30+ every night. Even this year.

9/3/14, 9:42 PM   #8
dustbowl

I don't believe that shocks affect car counts. A set of non adjustable twin tubes is roughly $800. Of course then to be competitive you need at least another 600$ In shocks. Of course the biggest teams will probably be changing a shock every time they hit the track, so they will have more than that. A set of adjustable twin tubes is roughly $1200. A set of gas adjustable is roughly 1600$. With the latter two options, you probably won't change a shock all night, sure you need spare shocks in case of a crash, but you have to have spares regardless of whether they are adjustable or not.

3 members like this post: DAD, DND, koolaid89
9/3/14, 10:01 PM   #9
The Fanthom

Race Count This Year: 1

Sorry, but I think this kind of thinking is what kills car counts. Go to a race in Kentucky and you'll see 5 or 6 classes with 5 or 6 cars in each. That is what you get whenever the next idea to save racing comes along. Don't add another class, establish cost saving measures for the class you already have. The impossiblity of everyone agreeing how to cut costs always kills any discussion of real positive changes. It has already happened to Late Models, it is happening to Sprint cars now. The end of big late model fields began with escalating costs and the addition of a modified class was the nail in the coffin for most local Late Model racing. Same will happen when you start adding new divisions of sprints. You'll still get 18 to 20 cars but they'll be in three different classes. Costs ran Wing sprints out of Indiana, it will eventually get Non Wing sprints too. Hope I'm wrong.

4 members like this post: cmakin, DGMJR71, oldfan49, TQ97
9/3/14, 10:09 PM   #10
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

I don't mean to say that nonwing 305s would save anything at all . Just never heard it mentioned and wondered why. I personally think on some of the smaller bullrings 305s could be really gd racing.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana 305's